Pickup recommendation? EBMM JP6

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by MikeSap, Jun 11, 2012.

1. MikeSap

MikeSap formerly mikeyENGL

(this is my first thread!) i am loving the playability of my jp6 so much. a truly fantastic guitar. love the piezo and the trem is great as well. the adler body is great, not too heavy. but definitely has good weight to it. i'm just really not feeling the crunchlab and liquifier pickup set. dimario pickups, to me, just sound a but tin-y. harsh highs. and just not thick enough. i play across the genres. so i'm not just looking for all out shred, super punchy scooped sounding pids. more so looking for something that can handle high gain, while also cleaning up nicely. any recommendations? i'm open to anything at this point. and input would be greatly appreciated!:hbang:

2. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

I thought the JP6(non-bfr) was straight basswood..

I'd recommend either a Tone Zone/Air Norton setup(my personal fav outside of PRS HFS/Vintage Bass). It's not thin or harsh at all. Pretty fat and thick tone.

Or if you're against Dimarzio maybe some Bareknuckle Crawlers.

3. MikeSap

Yes it is basswood. I had realized i made a mistake as soon as i posted. Thanks for the recommendation. I will check out the tone zone. I have an air norton in my 7 string and i love it. Also really interested in bareknuckle pickups

4. EdgeCrusher

EdgeCrusher SS.org Regular

+1 on the Tone Zone/ Air Norton suggestion; they will be thicker and have less highs so you will get a smoother/fuller tone, and they are also a bit lower ouput which will help with versatility :yesway:

5. Underworld

Underworld SS.org Regular

+2 for the TZ/AN combo! They are awesome! You can check for the Breed combo too.

6. guitar_jon

guitar_jon SS.org Regular

I've got a PAF PRO in my BFR JP6. To me, it's a vast improvement over the D-sonic that was in there. Much more versatile at least.

7. groverj3

groverj3 Biologist/Guitarist

I love the tone zone. Great pickup. Definitely has more lows than the Crunchlab (which I love also for different reasons).

8. mniel8195

mniel8195 SS.org Regular

miracle man or cold sweat for basswood

9. MikeSap

i appreciate the feedback everyone! i'm definitely considering the tone zone/ air norton combo. i have a breed/air norton combo in my 7420 and it sounds great. also considering the bkp coldsweats. thanks again!