Pickup question.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by theronaldchase, Jul 23, 2012.

1. theronaldchase

theronaldchase SS.org Regular

On the market to get a new set of pickups for my PRS Mike Mushok baritone. I prefer to stay away from active but I won't completely rule them out.

What do you guys think I should go for?

2. animalwithin

animalwithin SS.org Regular

What kind of music do you play?

3. theronaldchase

Quite a but actually, but this guitar is mainly going towards metal. Probably something along the lines of Underoath/Every Time I Die.

I like tight and percussive with a lot of clarity to the notes, but I also want something that can be raw and gritty when I need it to be.

4. animalwithin

animalwithin SS.org Regular

By no means am I a metal player but many have asked similar questions before and most people will tell you Bare Knuckles are the best for what you're looking for. Tim is the main man over there, if you go to their website, email him and much tell him what you're looking for out of a pickup, he'll email you back within a day and give you his recommendations.

Of course there are Lundgren pickups and Seymour Duncans. Searching on this forum is by far your best tool with regards to pickups, this whole part of the forum is packed with info, a lot of which will aswer your questions and then some. Hope this helped :hbang:

5. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Some D Activators would smoke in a mahogany baritone :)

A lot of people give them hate for being bright, but I had them in an RGT with a trem and I was really surprised by how neutral they were. They weren't boomy or shrill, they seemed just a tiny bit on the mid-rangey side. I was told they were PAF Pros when I bought the guitar and I just thought DiMarzio's PAFs were more awesome than I was expecting, until I took them out to see for sure. They can handle lots of gain and low tunings without problems, but they were so much more versatile than I would have guessed. They had one of my favourite clean tones, too.

Anyway, I totally recommend them :yesway: I tuned down as low as G# with them and didn't have any problems with clarity. Seeing how you're in the states, they'd be a much more affordable alternative to Bare Knuckles.

Other than that, I'd say look into a Duncan Distortion/59 combo, EMG 81x/60x, or a BKP Black Dog set. :yesway:

6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

If you decide to not go with BKP's or the D-activator, check out the Dimarzio Dominion. Tons of clarity with the ability to handle tons of gain

7. theronaldchase

Well, I think I've decided to go with the BKP Aftermath/Coldsweat combo. A friend of mine had been loaned a set from one of my instructors at school to test them out and fell in love with them. He had nothing but good things to say about them.

8. Wrecklyss

Wrecklyss SS.org Regular

Tom Anderson H2+ or H3

9. no_dice

no_dice a very bad old bear

I have a Black Dog set in my Mushok baritone and I think they sound great and could definitely achieve the sound you described. I had an Aftermath in another guitar, and just wasn't really impressed, but that's just me.