Pickup picker for JS32-7

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Iron1, Oct 31, 2018.

1. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

I know there are already a few threads like this, but none have quite the same angle. I write primarily old school death/thrash/doom metal. My primary 6-string (1991 Ibanez S540LTD) has an Invader in it and I love it. But, I've heard from more than one source the 7 string Invader doesn't play well with the B string.

[​IMG]

So, I'm leaning towards a Black Winter. But, I also dig the Elysian Hellfire and back in the day the OSDM wasn't old school, I used a Dimario Super D.

What's your recommendation? And, while I love Bare Knuckles, I'm looking in the +/- $100 range.

2. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

7 String pickups in my experience are kinda weird because it's hard to get the B string to be articulate AND fat at the same time...

1) There's a 7 string Super Distortion.
    2) Duncan Nazgul has the fatness you are probably looking for, without being silly muddy. I liked it when I had it. Sold the guitar because I got bored of 7 strings.
    3) I also owned actives, they may be an option to you, the EMTY Blackout was a phenomenal pickup for me. It was THICK as FUCK, and had very nice upper midrange to allow for chord articulation. If actives are not an option then I guess you will not enjoy these.
    4) D-Sonic or Crunch Lab: I owned a CL7 and a DS6 and I absolutely loved them both! Both installed with the bar towards the bridge. As an added bonus the bar coil splits BEAUTIFULLY with the neck pickup.

Hope that helps

Iron1 likes this.
  3. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

I hadn’t realized these were direct mount pups. Anyone have any experience swapping them out? Anything to be concerned with?

4. alessandroarzilli

alessandroarzilli SS.org Regular

I have never had any experience swapping direct mount pickups out, but personally had a Seymour Duncan Invader SH-8B bridge pickup in my JS22-7 anche it sounds really awesome.
    Really high output, yes, but you can manage to hear all the strings and notes when playing chords, so it's a very good balanced pickup, at least for my genre which is death/thrash.
    You can listen to a lot of song samples in my youtube channel if you want.

5. ptxxx

ptxxx SS.org Regular

The dimarzio d-activator really woke up my js32-7. Had to file the corners off of the mounting tabs, which was very easy to do.

Iron1 likes this.
  6. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

The Nazgul I bought will fit. Just need to actually install it which I plan to do later today. Really wish they would make pickups with easier connectors so folks could swap them in and out without the use of solder - would make pickup experimentation so much easier/more fun.

7. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

It will still be very easy to install . If it had a push/pull knob or other fancy wiring it would be a little more complicated. it shouldn't take you more than 30 mins.

8. Iron1

Iron1 SS.org Regular

That's about exactly how long it took. Love the sound the Nazgul has in this guitar. Very articulate mids and a crunchy edge to the crushing low end. Highly recommend it.

KailM likes this.