Pickup mounting screws

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by NoodleFace, Jun 4, 2018.

1. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

Hey guys. Today I received a nazgul/sentient set from a forum member and tried to install them. Ran into problems trying to mount them in my uv777bk pickguard. My mounting screws (that are original to the UV) slide ride through the new pickup mounting brackets. The holes are slightly too big. The pickups definitely have had work on the mounting ears as there is some bare metal on it .

Couple questions. Are mounting screws generally universal? If not, can I order some that will fit these new pickups?

If there are no other screw options, what's my best course of action here?

I know SD usually includes mounting screws with new pickups, but since these are used I did not get any.

2. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Go to the hardware store and get slightly larger screws to fit, or get some small flat hex nuts that match the screws you have, just don’t forget the surgical tube/springs for height adjustment

3. NoodleFace

Unsure how the sizes work. What would be slightly larger than a 3-48?

4. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Duncan’s should be 3-48. How sure are you that’s the size you have now?
    Also you can get a thread tap pretty cheap and re thread the hole larger to a 6-32 or something readily available and go that route.

5. NoodleFace

Ended up buying some 3-48 hex nuts and some new 3-48 mounting screws just in the off chance mine are not that size. I figure I'll solder the nuts behind the mounting holes and hope.for the best. Kind of a hack, but it is what it is .

DudeManBrother likes this.
  6. Don Tonberry

Don Tonberry SS.org Regular

The pickup holes must have been enlarged for direct mounting. In that case, the hex nuts are my go to fix to mount them in a pickguard/mounting rings. Glad it worked out

7. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I had to do the nut thing and it may have been my crappy soldering but the solder broke on one side same day when I was dialing in the height

I ended up super gluing and it stayed solid

8. NoodleFace

Yeah the problem is the solder doesn't really want to stick to this black metal. I scratched some bare metal through and got it to stick. I feel if I don't adjust the pickups too much it'll stay just fine.

In any case the nut trick worked. Thanks guys

Probably the only idiot to put a nazgul sentient set into a uv777bk

9. 1b4n3z

1b4n3z SS.org Regular

I absolutely loath receiving pickups that are reamed to hell without the seller mentioning anything. That should be a significant discount at least. I usually swap the baseplate to a new one, if possible

10. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I guess these days, the majority of seven and eight strings use direct-mounted pickups, so it’s more likely than not if you’re buying used pickups, they’re drilled out.

I remember asking bareknuckle about this, they don’t even offer 8 string pickups with screw tapped baseplates, it’s direct mount only.