Pickup Dilemma: Opinions Needed

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by 7-string Sixpounder, Jul 28, 2005.

1. 7-string Sixpounder

7-string Sixpounder SS.org Regular

First post here I know :blahblah: so I'll get to the point. I have an older Schecter c-7 classic. It's a bolt-on and i'm pretty sure its made of mahogany (correct me if i'm wrong please.) As much as I love this guitar since its my first seven, the Duncan Designed pickups aren't doing it for me. They're just way too mushy and muddy. I'm torn between a set of JB/Jazz pickups or a Blaze/Air Norton set. Both sound tempting as hell. I don't quite have the cash for a set of EMG's especially with all the routing required. I'd really appreciate your opinions on any of these pickups since (of course) you guys are the experts. The sound i'm looking for is a deep throaty but full sounding bridge pickup and a clear, articulate, almost "shimmery" neck sound. This is my metal guitar (mastodon, machine head, meshuggah) so clean is not as important although a good clean sound would be just dandy. Thanks for you time dudes. I appreciate it. :hbang:

Chris

2. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Welcome aboard!.

I always lean towards the Dimarizo's and usually recommend them.

Be sure to check out the 7 string pickup review thread at the top of this forum..

3. 7-string Sixpounder

Thanks i'll check those reviews out. I'm kind of leaning toward the dizmarios. However they seem to be a lot more popular is basswood bodied guitars. Has anyone had any bad experiences with Dizmarios in mahogany? If not my mind may be made up already. Thanks again for the warm welcome dudes.

Chris

4. fortyfour

fortyfour Lefty!

I am about to get my Schecter Omen 7 string. Being a basswood body, I'm wondering if the Seymour Duncan Invader 7 (bridge) is a good combo for that guitar. I played a Les Paul for years with a JB in the bridge and loved the tone. Unfortunately too many years of the LP being tuned in drop A and being played very hard forced me to get a new main guitar. I bought a baritone, but I didn't like the alder body. Too high endy after playing a LP for a decade. I chose the Schecter Omen 7 because it was recommended to me by a friend that has toured with them. He says it's a great guitar, and I wanted to ask him what pickup he likes, but they are out on tour so I can't. Another friend of mine posts on this forum (forgot to ask him his name on here, but he plays guitar in Gnashing of Teeth), he told me I should come here and ask around about pickups. I read the pickup guide but no one has posted about the SD Invader 7 yet. If anyone knows anything about this pickup, please post a review about it. Thanks!

5. 7-string Sixpounder

Based on what i'v heard to invader seems to be a love-or-hate pickup. However i'v tried a jb-7 and I can certainly tell what all the rave is abooot. Crisp and punchy as hell all up and down the b-string, not to mention the other 6 strings aswell. You could always grab a duncan distortion though i'v never played a 7-string version the 6-string one was nice. BTW i'll be sure to post a review of the blaze and air norton as soon as I get my paycheck and have em installed.

Chris

6. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I have a JB-7 in my Schecter Blackjack C7 and it's amazing. A lot better than the Blaze. I love the Blaze but the JB has much better articulation, attack, crunch, better harmonics and just overall tone.

That being said I love the Blaze as well, but for different reasons.

7. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

It sounds like you wouldn't like the Blaze. It's a very scooped pickup, no mids so it doesn't drive the amp hard.

8. Vince

Vince Contributor

I agree. The DD pickups are not very good.

Why not mix/match? a JB in the bridge and an Air Norton in the neck fucking rocks all ass. That's what I use in two of my guitars, including this seven:

[​IMG]

9. XIEmperorIX

XIEmperorIX \m/ Metal Dan \m/

I second that. Lately I've been disliking the tone coming from my Jackson..I have Duncan Designs in my LTD V-100 (which is a 6 :p) that sounds fine but the ones in my jackson sound kinda blech..specially for leads...i'm a fan of scooped lows and boosted mids and highs

10. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

That's because you're playing a korean Jackson made of low quality woods, components and electronics. It's made of alder and maple which is extremely bright and can be harsh, especially when combined with bolt-on construction. I used to own one of these back in 2000 or so and I hated it and sold it almost instantly. BUT....

If I were you I would put in a real Seymour Duncan pickup set that compensates and gives you the tone you described. I would recommend you put in Seymour Duncan Invaders in there. The Invaders have amazing sound in the right guitar. They are really heavy sounding, very warm...huge mid boost, great lows, cool highs...etc.

If you do that you could turn your cheap guitar into something that sounds awesome.

11. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

I'd vote for the JB/Jazz set, 'cause that's what I use. Of course, in my mahogany/maple 7 string, I use a Custom/'59 set, so that might work, too...

12. XIEmperorIX

XIEmperorIX \m/ Metal Dan \m/

A little harsh :lol: j/k..Yeah I agree with you bout the tone (obviously :p).. but I love the feel of my Jackson...I was thinking about putting some seymour duncan and/or dimarzio..but i'll probably go with a SD setup..

13. 7-string Sixpounder

hmmm now that does sound interesting. I'll admit I really did like the jb but I always thought the blaze was a very articulate pickup too (partly do to the mid-range scoop.) Is it significant a "scoop" enough that I wouldn't be able to dial it out with an amp? That would be a little TOO scoopy for me :scratch:. Any other comments? I really appreciate all this dudes, it's great getting all these opinions. Keep them coming my way.

Chris

14. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

Uh, Jackson doesn't make guitars in Korea - even Fender hasn't changed that yet. It might be Indian or low-end Japanese, but it's not Korean.

Not nitpickin', just sayin'...

15. dpm

imo you can't dial in what's not there. You can scoop it out if you have too much but trying to add what doesn't exist to start with never seems to work. That's my 2c as a long term Blaze/Steve's Special hater. Petrucci seems to get good sounds out of them though.

16. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

:agreed:

17. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

P personally don't think the Blaze is THAT scooped, but a lot of it is the relationship between the guitar, pickup, and amp - I'm playing a basswood 7 (UV) which has a fairly strong midrange, with a blaze (scooped) into a Mesa Nomad-45, which is a VERY midd-y amp, and the resulting sound is quite balanced and, if anything, heavier on the mids than many people would like. shameless plug/amp demo soundclip: http://www.sevenstring.org/drew/nomad.mp3 - that's the UV/Blaze bridge into my nomad, with me gradually increasing the gain. No lack of mids. :)

18. dpm

agreed, Drew. It really comes down to that guitar - amp relationship.
    That said basswood has never sounded midrange-y to me, more like pussrange-y :fawk:

19. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

*rolls eyes*

Would it KILL you to not disagree with me for once?

:lol:

*passes dpm a beer anyway*

20. dpm

I'll think about that.
    *dpm drinks Drew's beer*

Eeww, you've got awful taste in beer :lol: