Pickup choice in Ibanez

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Mihailg96, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Mihailg96

Mihailg96 SS.org Regular

Hello everyone, this is my first post here :)

Next week I'll get my first 7 string, an Ibanez RG7421-WNF, and although the stock pickups seem great, it's almost certain that i will change them. The problem is that i cannot decide between a Seymour Duncan Nazgul/Sentient set or Dimarzio D-activator.

I love the harsh, brutal, clear sound of the Nazgul, but it sounds a bit thinner than D-activator, and i'm thinking if D-activator would actually bring a more powerful sound to the guitar.

I mostly play melodic death metal, metalcore, deathcore, djent and black metal, and i will use this guitar live and in studio.

Any recommandations from you guys would be amazing. Which pickups would be a better fit for the guitar? It is a MAHOGANY body, maple neck, rosewood fretboard. Thank you so much for taking your time and reading!

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

Both pickups play well in mahogany, though the nazgul will definitely work better for the types of music you want to play imo. The mahogany thickens the sound of the nazgul up a bit in my experience as well.

3. jerm

jerm SS.org Regular

Both are great choices. I would also consider the Black Winters.

4. Mihailg96

Mihailg96 SS.org Regular

Thanks for replying! I love Black Winters but i already have them in my 6 string, i thought abiut exploring new flavours. Also, maybe it sounds silly but i think the mahogany that Ibanez uses seems lighter than usual mahogany, maybe it has slightly different characteristics.
    But maybe it will work with Nazgul anyway!

5. Bladed-Vaults

Bladed-Vaults Broceidon

Nazgul. From your list
    Have you thought about the painkiller? It's an absolute destroyer in mahogany. Never tried the 7 string version but the 6 has all the clarity that's become synonymous with bkp modern pups it didn't clean up as well for me as some of my others. But that's not what you are worried about for genres listed lololol

6. Mihailg96

Mihailg96 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the replies, guys! I decided for Nazgul/Sentient!

PS: thanks for the Bareknukle suggestion, but they're very expensive in my country

7. elkoki

elkoki SS.org Regular

Obviously not all guitars are made the same, and not all mahogany sounds the same so pickups wont always react the same... In my experience the Nazgul sounded somewhat thin in my Schecter made of mahogany, someone else probably had different results..

I know mahogany is usually associated with sounding "warm" but I don't think that's always the case, I have 2 guitars that are made from the exact same woods, and both with set necks and they sound nothing alike. 1 is a Les Paul that is physically really heavy and sounds super warm, and 2 is a Schecter which is SUPER bright and is really light weight. I know the scale length in the Schecter makes it bright and probably a couple of other things, so in the end you just gotta try pickups to see if they give you the sound you want. Not because they make the most sense for guitar's wood type....not all wood is made the same, and the way the guitar is built matters a lot to the overall tone too..

8. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

I think the SD's are likely your better choice.

I had D-Activator in my RG7620 years ago when they first came out, and I felt that they were a bit sterile.

I played the SD's in a Schecter KM on Saturday and I was really impressed with how they sounded.

9. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

I have a Shecter Blackjack Atx V-shaped guitar which is a very heavy slab of mahogany with an ebony fretboard. I've been running a Nazgul in the bridge for several months now and I just can't get enough of that tone. Frigging unbelievable brutality-- yet clear. The trick is to dial in a bit more bass on your amp than what you're used to. It's such a tight pickup you can get away with it, and when you do, it's monstrous. I just shared a demo of it on the "black winter worship" thread where I quad tracked the rhythms with the Nazgul panned left and the Black Winter bridge panned right.

10. itainteasy

itainteasy SS.org Regular

Just thought Id chime in since I have the same guitar.

The the pickup routing are really shallow on mine. I didnt know this and switched the bridge pickup for a black winter. SD pickups are larger than the stock ones and with the shallow route there is no room to adjust the pickup height with all its screws sticking out the back and what not. This really limits what kind of string height and setup I can get.

Sound wise the black winter is awesome.

11. Mihailg96

Mihailg96 SS.org Regular

I will send the guitar to a luthier to change the pickups so maybe he'll be able to make them fit properly

KailM, i just got the guitar 2 days ago and it's so light, i couldn't believe it, so in this light mahogany they will sound completely different than in yours.. but i guess Nazgul sounds awesome in almost any kind of wood, i hope i'm not wrong

12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^^The Nazgul is a pretty bright pickup which may be off-putting to some. But with that brightness and tightness you can run the bass on your amp higher and it'll begin to sound HUGE and angry, yet still retain its tightness. I think that the people who haven't liked the Nazgul must have been running their amp with too little bass, mids too high, etc. (the typical "modern" settings where everyone is afraid to let their guitar rig have any bass, in other words) and then when they tried the Nazgul it was too much of a good thing. I run the bass on my amp fairly high and the Nazgul just breathes pure, fiery hatred...:shred: