Pickup Advice for Les Paul

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Dineley, Dec 7, 2017 at 3:38 PM.

1. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

So my Les Paul came stock with the Classic 57 neck and Super 57 in the bridge basically just a bit more high output.

I didn't really mind the pickups overall but now with the Nazgul Sentient in my Mayones I can tell just how boomy and muddy these pickups are.

The music I play is like Thrice, Every time I die, Coheed and Cambria, Mastodon, and at some point heavier things I just am not super good at the moment after years of neglect on my playing.

Anyways I want something that has solid output yet still retains the articulation. I have thought of maybe staying in the Gibson family and trying out a dirty fingers.

But I am open to any and all suggestions. Will Adler Fluences would also look pretty kick ass and sounded alright in youtube demos I've heard.

Anyways I will stop rambling and await the advice of those wiser than me.

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Try adjusting the pickup height first, and throwing 10-52's on it.

I had a JB/59 set in my LP studio with good results.

3. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Will mess with pickup height a little bit, I have 12 - 56's on it right now, I like em thick especially some of the thrice and mastodon stuff I like to play they tune way down.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire 8 string hoarder

Really depends what you want to prioritize. If you want ridiculous clarity I'd look into lace dissonant aggressors/nitro hemis or elysian pickups. If you want overall versatility then I'd say the pegasus/sentient combo or some elysians. If you're not looking to spend much dimarzio titans would work well for the bands/music you listed. Otherwise I'd say try a dimarzio drop-sonic.

5. budda

Too thick of strings will sound muddy though, and it's already short-scale. I don't know how long thrice has been at least one tele, I think the last ETID album was all active pickups, and Mastodon I don't even try to keep up with :lol:.

I don't have any experience with a Super 57 so I can't really comment on that pickup. I personally like "vintage hot" PAF style pickups in LP's as they have a ferociousness about them that covers anything you want it to. That's essentially what a JB is haha. I know people like the Dimarzio Distortion/Super Distortion as well.

I see you're in the GTA - go to any L&M and see if you prefer the tone of a traditional, signature, classic or something else more. Then look up which pickups come in that model.

I forgot to ask - what amp are you using?

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah the super 57 is basically them a juiced up 57, overall I agree that the hot PAF type tone has that bark too it that just kicks ass.

I know Thrice have had a tele in the mix for sometime but I'm way more into the older LP tones from Thrice, even the stuff from Vheissu they were playing live with the Gibsons still back in the day.

I may just go into L and M and tinker on some stuff, I'm in Waterloo and a couple of the guys there have been there forever and are fairly useful.

Amp wise, I have a JCM900 SLX and 5150 III but have mostly been jamming on the helix lately, my Mayones with the Nazgul Sentient just oozes ETID tones effortlessly, like The Big Dirty era sound at least.

I know Teppie had a Super Distortion in his old wine red Les Paul before it got stolen so may give that a try, or perhaps d-activators or BKP Black Dogs seem to be straight up PAF on steroids from the descriptions I've heard.

7. KnightBrolaire

the black dog is an awesome pickup, super snarly and aggressive sounding for a relatively low output pickup. Also cleans up really well and is the clearest out of those 3 by far imo. I highly recommend it.

Dineley likes this.
  8. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

Other than what has already been suggested, some pickups that come to mind that are in the same ballpark as Nazgul/Sentient in terms of tightness but add a little more clarity and articulation: Dimarzio Titan, Duncan Omega or Full Shred.

9. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Good to know. And Im sorry i didnt notice your first reply their. Definitely been temtped to go full Mastodon with the Lace haha

10. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

SD Jazz/Distortion
    BK ColdSweat/MiracleMan

11. KnightBrolaire

for what it's worth, the black dog will definitely do mastodon and thrice stuff too.

Dineley likes this.
  12. budda

Buy the super distortion for $80, its an easy test.

13. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

I have two Les Pauls. One has burstbucker pros in it - which I did not expect to like but they're just kind of... good. Super versatile in that they're not crazy output, quite clear, and can sound in the vintage vicinity, but they work a lot better in high gain situations than most PAF pickups. This is a cheap option (lots used for reasonable) that is a small change in the right direction for you.

My other Les Paul has the Fishman Fluence classics in it. I own 4 sets of fluence in guitars (singles, classics, moderns, Tosin Abasi set) - and every one of them is a great pickup set. The classics are probably my favorite of those I own. They absolutely do most of the bands you mention (I was just playing Welcome Home on it yesterday, sounded great). Voice 2 goes up to old school metal levels of chug. If you consistently need a lot more than that, the moderns would be more your thing. I have not tried the Adlers in person, but they sound awesome on youtube.