Pickguards on a 7-String Ibanez - yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by nazriq, Oct 3, 2017.

1. nazriq

nazriq SS.org Regular

Hey everyone. I noticed that quite a number of people have put pickguards on their 7-string Ibanez. A number of Ibanez artists have done this, and their 7 strings definitely look awesome with it (The Contortionist's Robby Baca and ERRA's Jesse Cash come to mind).

However, to most of us who don't have access to the LACS and have 7 string Ibanez guitars which by default don't have pickguards, there are a couple of questions: Would drilling holes for the pickguard de-value the guitar, especially if it was a Prestige? Where do you get these elusive pickguards from? I'm aware that different 7 string models might have differing knob/bridge/pickup positions, though I may be wrong. And of course, there's the question of which pickguard looks best.

I myself have been contemplating to put one on my 7 string Ibby, because at times, the RG752FX can look a bit... plain. Though at times, simple can be good... Here's a pic of mine, which I fancy having a garnet pickguard on...

[​IMG]
    https://imgur.com/S0Vy5qb

Anyone else here who has put pickguards on their 7 string Ibanez models? Was it tough getting the right fit or modding things so it would fit? Would be great to get to see them for inspiration as well! Thanks!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  2. BangandBreach

BangandBreach Kaboom.

Delete the neck pup and rock a dark grey pick guard :djent:

3. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

It would definitely devalue the guitar. But it would look cool. Do it if you plan on keeping the guitar.

Maybe it wouldn’t devalue it...but it wouldn’t add any value. You’d just have to bank omg selling it someone else that really loves the mod.

4. odibrom

odibrom .

For me is a nay, no pickguard please. More so if the guitar has a translucent/transparent finish.

5. knet370

knet370 SS.org Regular

Order a pickguard WITHOUT the screw holes and put double adhesive tape underneath and you’re good to go. Don’t like it? Just remove the pickguard 100% reversible. Perle guitar can grant you this kind of requets.

Surveyor 777 and odibrom like this.
  6. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

For me it depends, but I do generally like them.

It won't add value, but used guitar prices are soooo low at the moment that I doubt it would hurt the value a meaningful amount as long as it's nice looking.

7. PBGas

PBGas SS.org Regular

I once put a pickguard on an Ibby 7 string and it looked fabulous. No worries. Make it yours and make it unique!

Crash Dandicoot likes this.
  8. maggotspawn

maggotspawn SS.org Regular

I got a couple of pickguards off of Ebay for my RG7420's. They're sold for RG7620's but fit perfectly and look killer. They have a downloadable/printable pattern to see if they fit your guitar.

9. Pikka Bird

Pikka Bird Vaya Con Cornholio

If you do this then be wise and only use thin strips of tape around the edge (possibly a bit in the middle between the pups too. Double stick tape can be total hell to remove in broad pieces, and you'll be snapping the pickguard for sure.

...I'd be partial to ordering it with holes and then cutting off some screw heads to glue in there. Screw-less guards looks uncanny to me.

10. 77zark77

77zark77 SS.org Regular

We definitely need some pickguards-stickers, just an idea - is that already done ?

11. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I'm surprised no one seems to make them. But you easily could cut them from the wrapping vinyl they use on cars and such. I've thought about doing it a few times but most of the guitars I use right now already have pickguards.

12. cardinal

cardinal SS.org Regular

I'm thinking of changing up the Apex a bit:
    [​IMG]