Pick your favorite track for mixing stems

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by jsaudio, Aug 22, 2017.

1. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Alright everyone, so I am releasing my new album and I would like to give back to this community in some way instead of just being a leech.

So, here is the premier stream for my new album (Premiered on Heavy Blog is Heavy) and I want this forum to vote on which song they would like to be released for mixing stems!

There are six songs just mention the song by number and whichever gets the most I will release here as stems!

https://soundcloud.com/skyline-studios-indy/bodhi-ineffable-full-album-stream

coffeeflush, Masoo2 and Pr0z4kk like this.
  2. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

I got very much a Polyphia vibe from this, and I liked it. I also like the mixes.

I can't see the track listings on your soundcloud upload, but I think it was the 3rd song with the clean tapping that I liked the best. If you happen to release the stems for a song, I'll give them a shot! Thanks!

3. Pr0z4kk

Pr0z4kk SS.org Regular

Has that new Skyhaven/Polyphia sound to it, but different. Without overusage of "pop" effects and you have a way better tone.

When it comes to stems, either 3rd track or 2nd. All of them would be fantastic tbh :D

4. billinder33

billinder33 SS.org Regular

Love the music, and the album cover art is great too!

5. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Big fan of the second song (starting at like 2:14 or so), would loveeeeeeeee multitracks for it

Gave it a like/repub, nice to see another take on the whole Polyphia/Skyhaven type sound.

6. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Following you man, sounded nice and fresh. Personally i enjoyed the second song the most, and I would love to have a go with the stems!

7. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Thanks man I will be posting those here shortly keep and eye out!

8. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Just curious, why did you bounce all the stems in stereo?

9. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Probably because I am an idiot and wasn't paying attention, however they should still work for you!

10. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

LOL! We've all done it... Once I bounced a mix down in mono and didn't realize it days later. Haha!

I'm having fun with this one. I've put in a few hours so far and am about 75% done with the mix. Lots of elements to balance and it's been challenging to get that lead guitar to pop out and be prominent without taking away from all the other instruments. Love the track though! Should be posting soon, thanks!

11. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Cool man I look forward to hearing it! I have heard some interesting mixes from some other guys! Why do you think it is so difficult to get it to shine through for you?

12. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Alright, here's what I've got so far: https://soundcloud.com/schwizbeats/bohdi-enamor-jes-schwartz-mix

The hard part was getting all the guitars to play nice with the ambient guitar and synths, and sit in somewhat different frequencies. So that was definitely a challenge. I think I got the overall balance right, but the mix may be a little drum heavy. I really had fun with this one though! What do you think?

I'll also add that I had a tough time getting the midi to import correctly as well as getting everything to line up correctly. The tempo map created started the song off at 240bpm and it threw everything out of time. Once I removed that from the map, I was able to get it all to line up.

13. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Hey man nice job! I would be totally willing to do a mix critique but it totally depends on what sound you were aiming for with your mix? What mixes to you reference when trying to get your mix how you want it?

I would say the guitars aren't too bad but the drums could use some beefing up especially the snare. It could but alot thicker sounding and might improve the mix alot but let me know what you were aiming for!

14. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular

Also the reason it might be difficult to get that solo to shine through is because you have the rhythms on the verses on a distortion channel and they should be on clean guitars. I think they are labeled as "Clean guitar left and right"

15. schwiz

schwiz Lefty

Thanks for the constructive feedback! I'm struggling with my snares right now in general. If I try and give it too much 200hz it sounds like I'm smashing a snare with a wet blanket over it, and it ends up bringing out ringing frequencies that I end up having to cut, which starts making it sound thin. Maybe I just have to accept some of those ringing frequencies or tame them less and make less extreme eq moves? My workflow is to EQ both the top and bottom snares separately, bus them together, VMC, Compression 4:1 slow attack fast release, EQ, Saturate, 1 reverb insert and multiple reverb sends. I don't think it's my workflow, but more so my application. I used GGD for this track, and the samples are really good, I just need more practice with them I think.

I really wanted a raw rock sound for this track, not necessarily a Polyphia sounding track.

Thanks for the response!

16. jsaudio

jsaudio SS.org Regular