Pick recommendations for acoustic?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Hybrid138, May 5, 2012.

1. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

I normally use JazzIII max grips but I've heard that thinner picks are the way to go for acoustic. It supposed to help tone and lower the chance of buzzing? I was thinking of these but I don't know what gauge to get...

Any other recommendations?

Dunlop Nylon Max Grip Guitar Picks - 12-Pack | GuitarCenter

2. JStraitiff

JStraitiff Melodic Mamma Jamma

Those would work but i actually found that switching from a standard pick shape to jazz IIIs on my acoustic brightened up the tone immensely. I assume its more to do with the pick shape changing my attack rather than the pick material but either way i would go with the jazz IIIs. Lighter picks are pretty good for strumming.

3. Volteau

Volteau the Bard Contributor

This. I use Jazz IIIs for anything arpeggiated and "technical" and thiner picks for strumming (around 60-75mm should do).

4. Augminished

Augminished Augminished Studio

I have been using these John Pearse Sarod Wooden Guitar Picks

I know they are a bit pricey but I love them when I do acoustic stuff. I have been using the ebony and rosewood ones. I like the ebony better but not by much. They add warmth to your tone and there is less attack which in turn makes it sound smoother. Don't know if this is the tone you are going for but I just dig the hell out of them.

5. scherzo1928

scherzo1928 has wood for you

I normally play acoustics with my fingers (long ass pointy nails) but I reaaaaally like using the .50 tortex sharps

6. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

I actually feel heavier picks to be more necessary for acoustic than electric, probably because you hear the pick flapping around more on acoustic. I like my big stubby picks for everything. As long as you are able to adjust your grip dynamically and not constantly pick full strength you'll be fine with them.

7. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Depends if your riffing on the acoustic or playing chords. Chords require thinner picks IMO. If your playing it like an electric then heavier gauge would be better.

8. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Even for chordy stuff, I prefer a heavier pick. You can pick more lightly with that if you loosen off and play more gently but you're limited as to how hard you can play with a lighter pick.

9. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Aggressive with a light pick is not achievable (tonally) with a hard pick though which is how I usually play.

10. Whitechapel7

Whitechapel7 SS.org Regular

eh, not for me, some people say that the lighter the pick, the more finesse you have. i highly disagree because to me, light picks are floppy as hell and just all around bad news for me personally. maybe try something over .75mm, or finger picking. hope it helps, i apologize if it doesnt :metal:

11. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Yeah picks are pretty personal...I've noticed it is easier to go light to heavy than it is the other way too because heave gauge picks change how most people play.

12. Mr. Big Noodles

Mr. Big Noodles Theory God

I have an asston of picks in my pants pocket at any given time, with all sorts of sizes, shapes, and gauges, and I don't really have a preference for any of the guitars I play. I just go with what feels right at the moment. Just keep in mind that lighter picks will have a lighter attack and a more luminous quality, more at home with legato, whereas heavier picks will be louder and more direct, much easier to play staccato.

That said, 1.5mm is where I find the greatest amount of versatility based on my personal style.

13. Holicx

Holicx Hector Jirau

You should try wood picks, they are a lil bit hard to find , but the sound it emits when you hit those strings is brightly amazing. Still they are a bit expensive compared to other picks.

14. 7thstringofa7thstring

7thstringofa7thstring SS.org Regular

Why not go to a guitar shop and buy a few picks and try them out and see what works for you,

like some others have said picks are a really personal thing (like any bit of guitar equipment) some prefer thin, fat and others prefer metal picks.

15. BornToLooze

BornToLooze SS.org Regular

16. Hybrid138

Hybrid138 SS.org Regular

I use jazz III picks right now and there is nothing wrong but I do understand the attack argument. Having heavy pick hand technique from metal playing can cause buzzing and different timbre. That's why I was thinking a thinner pick, like some of you have said, would help me keep my approach (within reason) and not affect timbre. I'll look into some of the picks you guys recommended. I think the .75 area looks like a good starting point. I'm not too fond of floppiness

17. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

Metal picks sound really great on acoustics.

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

I say buy one of everything in the store and make a decision.