Pick Recomendations

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by jvms, Oct 1, 2017.

1. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

Recently I've been looking for the perfect pick for me. I realized that I love thin }(between 0.5 and 0.6) Jazz III picks. The best ones I played so far are the Planet Waves Black Ice Light 0,55. Best tone and feel I have ever seen, but they aro so thin that I'll wear them down in about and hour of playing, and when the tip wears out, the agressive tone I get from it is lost. I feel like I need a pick with a harder material like carbon fiber or Ultem (the one Dunlop uses on the Ultex line), as I heard they last much longer than Tortex. Does anyone know any company that offers a Jazz III style pick that is thin as fuck is made out of a harder and more lasting material. Also, how stiffer are carbon fiber and ultem picks on your experiences? It would be a shame if a 0.60 Ultem pick was much stiffer than it's Tortex counterpart.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

best jazz III pick I've found is the blue chip jazz .60 It's super durable, is relatively warm sounding, it makes very little pick noise, plus it's relatively stiff but it's quite pricey (like 40 USD a pick). The other option if you're feeling crafty is buy a block of UHMPWE from BHL picks on etsy and make your own super durable jazz III picks. If you're not willing to spend the money on the blue chip then winspear makes a jazz xl shape out of UHMPWE(ask him about making a jazz III sized shiv). Personally i find that carbon fiber is both really stiff, really bright (which I hate) and not that durable for a pick material. Depending on if you're fine with a chirping noise while picking/ a brighter tone overall, the silica soundworks jazz picks are quite good or some of the stoneworks picks could work.

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I recently switched from normal dunlops to Pickboys and they are amazing. Cheap, carbon reinforced and really stiff. I use 0.88 mm but they should go as thin as 0.60 mm. See if you can find them where you live and buy a bunch of different gauges to see if you like them. I'm honestly amazed by their stiffness, no pun intended.

4. jvms

jvms SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for the help guys, but what I'm actually looking for is a soft but durable picks. Stiff picks really get in the way of my playing and I feel like softer ones are more versatile in general. And that is a problem becaus every soft pick I've ever played wears out in a few hours max. Do any of these companies make soft but durable ones?

5. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire tinkerer/aspiring builder/8 string hoarder

>soft
    >durable
    pick one.
    In all seriousness they're generally mutually exclusisve, you're not going to find soft/durable picks. The winspear shiv has a little bit of flex to it (same with whatever the blue chip jazz is made of) but they're not going to flex like a .60 tortex. Ultem is harder wearing than tortex or such and might be more up your alley then, though it is a bit stiffer than tortex. the nylon jazz iiis seem to wear less than the tortex ime but they're not really a "soft" pick.

smokiekouki likes this.
  6. Zado

Zado SS.org Regular

I m happy with my medium black ice