Pic(kup)story

Discussion in 'The Sevenstring.org Workbench' started by dpm, Jan 7, 2008.

1. FoxZero

FoxZero Zero Imperfections

That was away fucking cool! I totally dig the look of the pickup.

Hand wound pups are the shit. I'm obsessed with my Lundgren pup. I never had such clarity come from a passive pup.

Definitely post more pics man! I'm really diggin this.

2. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

Aren't Lundgrens machinewound?

3. neroceasar

neroceasar DEATHMETAL!!!!!!!!!

Thats sweet! I'm in the process of building a pickup winder based off of Jason lollar's design.

Hand wound refers to the guiding of the wire back and forth across the bobbin. You'd be hard pressed to find a pickup that was literally wound by hand.

do you have Jason Lollar's "basic pickup winding and Complete guide to making your own pickup winder"? It went out of print about 30 years ago but i managed to obtain one....

4. OzzyC

OzzyC :ubersquint:

I'm aware of that, what I meant is I'm fairly sure Lundgrens are precision wound by machines.

5. ibznorange

ibznorange Chief Officer/RHLC © Contributor

Ozzy is right. lundgrens are precisionwound, by machine, as opposed to scatterwound. Bareknuckles are done by machine, but hand guided and scatterwound. lundgrens are not. not that its a bad thing, its just different

6. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

Okeydokey, I've finally updated the original post with some more pics. Enjoy!

7. loktide

loktide dotlike Contributor

nice work, dude :yesway:

8. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Sweet - nice to see the whole process Dan :yesway:

Love the ebony - I don't usually think of pickups as good looking but yours definitely are.

9. Ishan

Ishan Giant Fridge Magnet Contributor

A note on scatter winding : The problem with industrial pickups is they are "accurate wound" which mean each wire turn lye next to the precedent in a very regular pattern. This is causing a parasitic capacitance which tend to cut high frequencies and mush up the lows. That's why scatter winding sounds more open, punchier, cleaner.
    Lundgren's, believe it or not, are accurate wound (I asked the man himself about that as I'm such a geek :D ) so it means you could get really good pickups even with accurate winding, but needs a bit more love and involvement you can't get with mass production.

I'm in the process on gathering hardware, tools and material to build my own pickups, I hop I'll get to the point of actually doing something usable :lol:

10. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

One thing about pickups that I'll relate from personal experience (and take it at that, if you may) is that anyone who says that a certain gauge or a certain kind of winding or a certain magnet doesn't make a good tone will eventually eat his or her words. There are a lot of variables that can be played with to drastically alter the tone of the pickup. Most pickup makers keep things secretive, so it's very difficult to find a decent source of this information.

This Oni pickup looks great! I've long thought that guitars would look more exciting if the hardware was designed more aesthetically. The carbon fiber base plate would look particularly cool on an acryllic guitar. Too bad acryllic weighs a lot and sounds so weird.

Dan, I think the way you boldly approach things like pickup design and such really shows your talent for making instruments. Perhaps some day you may find time to design an Oni amplifier that blows everything else away, too. ;)

11. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

Egads! an amp? that might be taking it too far. Though these guys have been working with a very good friend of mine voicing an amp channel which is going to end up on their next model. And it is rather incredible indeed. I'm not sure if this particular aspect will transfer over, but his runs tube driven 5 band active EQ.

12. HighGain510

HighGain510 Contributor

That came out awesome Dan! :yesway: Any chance of some sound clips once it goes into a guitar please? :wub:

13. Durero

Durero prototyping... Contributor

Mods any chance of stickying this thread?

Neither the search function nor Google could find it. I had to search through Dan's threads to get here.

It's a fantastic resource for those of us potting or making our own pickups. (My coil winder just arrived in the mail today :metal: )

14. Ultraworld

Ultraworld Luthier A Holic

When I set up a guitar, I spend quite a bit of time adjusting string balance. An 8 string guitar has a wide range of string diameters. There's a big difference in string volumes not counting a neck radius to deal with. Could some sort of adjustment for string to string output be designed into your pickups? By the way, they look fantastic & are obviously well made.

Thanks