Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. CircuitalPlacidity

CircuitalPlacidity Carnivorous Jesus

Anyone have any tips for lightroom for me? I'm having a hard time exporting. Images are sharp when viewed in lightroom. Once exported to jpeg I'm noticing they're a tiny bit softer. Has anyone ran across this Problem? Any fixes?

2. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Switch to CaptureOne or PS :lol:; I wish I could help, but I don't use LR.

Here's a little BTS shot of a little series I'm putting together. My D3 mounted on my ABR800 with the Tamron 90mm f/2.8 macro. Lighting is set to be ISO100 1/200s f/16 and triggered with Pocketwizard Plus III's. This shot was taken with my E-PL3 and Helios 44-2.

[​IMG]

3. ThePhilosopher

Results of the above setup: I'm intentionally going for gobs of contrast and harshness in these shots, thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Tamron 90mm ƒ/2.8 Macro: ISO 100 1/200s ƒ/16

4. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

That leaf study is awesome. :yesway:

I haven't noticed any issues with JPGs coming out of LR, but I usually don't pixel peep JPGs too hard. My guess would be check your export - when you go to export, you can choose resolution, output sharpening, etc. I usually do no output sharpening, 100% image quality, and 300dpi JPGs.

I bought something last week. :D

[​IMG]FXT10045 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

[​IMG]FXT10048 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

[​IMG]FXT10054 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

And here's a quick and dirty HDR - this is the 16mm with a 6-stop HOYA filter I picked up on the cheap. It's not the sharpest - I'm assuming it's the filter - but it's sharp enough for my needs. I'd like to pick up a second 6-stop; that should be a lot cheaper than $100+ for a 10-stop.

[​IMG]FXT10056-HDR by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

5. ThePhilosopher

I'm always wary of stacking multiple filters (especially of questionable quality) as they can cause multiple reflections off the glass - a good 10-stop filter is going to be better than stacking two 6-stop filters.

That's one sexy tele for sure. Here's another from my study.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Tamron 90mm ƒ/2.8 Macro: ISO 100 1/200s ƒ/16

6. tank

tank SS.org Regular

I had a Sony A7 lately, with the 28mm f2 sony/Zeiss

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ThePhilosopher

That last shot is quite nice even though it is a bit hazy looking (I'm more fond of vibrant colors lately) and there's a strange darkness in the lower right of the frame.

8. ThePhilosopher

My modded OM found it's way onto the same setup I was using for my leaves, thought I used a different light source.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Tamron 90mm ƒ/2.8 Macro: ISO 200 1/2s ƒ/16

9. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

I'm really enjoying your leaf study.

I finally had time to go for a long walk this Tuesday and the weather was amazing. Carried my fuji with 35mm and 55-230 with me and my Bronica SQ with 6x6 and 135 pano back. Seeing everything through that huge viewfinder, especially on a bright sunny day, reminded me why I still love shooting like that. I hope to get the films developed and scanned next week.

10. ThePhilosopher

I'm really missing shooting larger lately, I should take out my 4x5 and do some shooting soon.

Thanks, it's been a fun little project over a week of vacation. Here's the completed set, I've already ordered one 11x14 book of the images. I'd like to get a large print behind acrylic to hang, but it's quite costly.
    [​IMG]

11. UnderTheSign

I actually bought a beat up Japanese wooden 4x5 field camera so once I finish my current workload, I can rebuild the wood parts and have a lightweight, even larger camera to take with me :lol: the only reason I'm not rebuilding an 8x10 is because it won't fit my backpack.

12. ThePhilosopher

The biggest reason I don't have an 8x10 is film+developing equipment costs; they're astronomical compared to 4x5. :lol:

13. UnderTheSign

That too, haha. Though I have a Patterson tank so I van develop b&w at home. DIY is the way to go for large format I think, as one neg costs as much to develop at the lab as a whole roll of 120.

14. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

Did a hike today:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Philligan

How do you guys feel about Creative Cloud?

My old CS6 copy is giving me grief. I don't use it often, but when you need PS, you need PS. Plus, I just recently learned how much better the healing tool is in Photoshop. :lol:

I'm not overly hung up on the cost, more the principle behind the subscription-based service. But, it would be nice to have a modern version of Photoshop, and to get more updates (I know the perpetual LR license loses out on some updates and features).

Thoughts?

16. ThePhilosopher

I'm still using CS5 if that's any indicator.

17. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

Super pissed about Creative Cloud honestly. I don't do anything crazy to my photos usually, so Lightroom does everything I need. I don't use healing for anything but minor touch ups either, so that's not an issue for me too. I have CS6 and the Lightroom 6 permanent license. Once I graduate, if I decide to take more photo jobs or market my artwork more, I may buy into the subscription. Until then, I'll stick with the current features offered since I've been doing just fine with them.

18. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

never had a drama with photoshop cc. Mind you I still have the 2014 version (not sure how the new one would handle). I honestly despite the suscription method as it would be something that forever you would pay. Mostly because I wont be able to find a crack version anymore :lol: But I guess if you have a steady income it doesnt matter, like you "ideally" are paying for the same price. Also I like to not upgrade things untill absolutely necessary, so now you kinda are forced to be updating the softwares as if not then its like you are paying more for them

Also, once your in, you can still download and use the previous versions of the softwares you sign in for. For example using Premier pro. The CC 2014 version works fine, on the limit of what my computer can handle for multicam editing features. So I download the CS6 and perfect. But due to the guy Im owrking now uses Sony, The CS6 version wont open the files, so Im stuff using CC14. Only because for some reason the CC15 drains more computer power and everything becomes bit slower to do

For lightroom I stayed at v5. But again I had to edit some files using the Sony cameras as another friend wanted me to shoot a ceremony and another night party using his camera because "its better" than my Canon6D (its not). So stupid Lightroom5 doesnt have the RAW support for Sonny, so off to lightroom CC. Which as soon as you hit the "Edit" module, my macbookpro goes into "overheated mode" at 500%CPU power, re-directing into the fans and slowing everything down ideally so you dont burn the computer. End result I have a 2 second delay for each time I move any slider. CAnt tell you how much fun its to work a wedding like that :)

this is a common issue with lightroomCC and macbookpros (or mac in general dont remember)

[​IMG]

19. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

Mmm. I found my Tamron 17-50 2.8 a few days ago and it made me go shoot. Pushy little bastard.

Super jealous of feilong's hiking locale! I don't know what I'd do with so much color! :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Philligan

I'm fine with CS6, it's just that I'm having trouble installing my copy properly, and there are issues with the resolution and my Retina display. It's my own fault really, I'm just getting tired of fighting with it. :lol:

I don't use PS too often, but it's one of those cases where when I need it, it's really valuable.

I'm sort of against the subscription method (mainly I don't agree with how hard Adobe is pushing it), but I've been trying to decide if I should just accept defeat and subscribe to make my life easier.