Photography Thread

Discussion in 'Art, Media & Photography' started by Eddie_uv777, Nov 28, 2006.

1. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

2. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

Just group the old layers, turn off their visibility and go from there. A quick tip to boost contrast and colors is setting a Selective Color Adjustment layer to soft light blending mode and adjusting the opacity. You can also do the same thing with black and white conversions.

I don't know if I ever posted this up or not, but here's the dry side of my darkroom printing setup.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 50mm ƒ/1.8D: ISO 200 1s ƒ/5.6

3. Philligan

Philligan The White-Knuckler Contributor

Awesome, guys. :yesway:

I've been pretty quiet lately. I haven't done many photo jobs lately, and the weather has been brutal - cold enough to be winter, but warm enough that we get freezing rain a couple times a week, so I haven't been going out/shooting much. I started a new job at work, too, so I've been busy with that.

My friends' salon is getting featured in a book about local businesses, so I took some group photos for them today. They're probably gonna use a B&W version of the first photo, but I included the colour here because I like it more. I actually really like the white wall one, too - it's a bit awkward, but we were really cramped because we moved all their stuff off of one of the walls, and rushed it at the very end.

[​IMG]group-colour by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

[​IMG]group-wbg2 by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

4. ThePhilosopher

I strongly prefer that second shot - it's much cleaner. You could even add in their logo/artwork to the background and still have a better image.

5. Philligan

Thanks man. I'll go spend some more time on those.

The idea was to do a group shot and show their work environment, but I only have two speedlights and had trouble getting the angle/perspective I was hoping for.

6. Azyiu

Azyiu Triad Hitman

Finally got the new Canon 5D Mark IV last night. Yay!

Since I only have the older Lr5, RAW files from the 5D4 are not supported. Currently I am first converting those files to DNG files via the Adobe DNG Converter 9.7, before importing them into my Lr5. Does anyone here have a better workflow to share? Or am I doing anything incorrectly with my files? Thanks.

7. ThePhilosopher

I got quite lucky that this bee flew into the flower I was shooting.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 50mm ƒ/1.8D+Nikon PK-13 Extension Tube: ISO 400 1/200s ƒ/2.8

8. ThePhilosopher

Another Azalea macro from this morning - though some argue this borders on microscopy :lol:
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 50mm ƒ/1.8D+Nikon PK-13 Extension Tube: ISO 400 1/80s ƒ/4

9. ThePhilosopher

Last photo for the evening I promise, I'll be shooting more glitterati tomorrow :D.
    [​IMG]
    Nikon D3 with Nikon 50mm ƒ/1.8D+2 Stop ND Filter: ISO 100 1/200s ƒ/5.6

10. UnderTheSign

UnderTheSign SS.org Regular

Heads up, Kameratori.fi/cameraventures.com has a pretty big sale going on this weekend. Lots of nice goodies. I'm browsing. :lol:

11. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

anyone have any experience with making photobooks?
    i went to a recent trip to Pakistan for vacation. when i came back, i thought i should make a small coffee-table type book with some of the pics i took. also a neat way to show customers what a difference photobooks make (kinda like a physical portfolio).

i was looking around with several companies and decided to go with Adoramapix. was i ever surprised!!! and not only i, but everyone i showed the book to too. i took it to work, and i got so many compliments from people i've never met (apparently they work in my building...) not believing i took the pics, and that those pics turned out awesome.

sure, i uploaded them online like instagram and facebook and stuff, and got a few thumbs ups and stuff. but something totally different about holding the pics in hand and seeing them in person vs a computer/phone screen.

working on an actual portrait photobook idea now.

was thinking of trying out other companies too, but after trying adoramapix, and their quality, and images, and colors and etc, i think i'll stick with em until i find something super awesome

12. ThePhilosopher

I have an 11x14 hardcover photobook that I've sold 2 copies of so far. I do all my printing through Bayphoto (aside from the traditional darkroom stuff). I'll probably also put together a nice book on metallic paper when I get my glitter project complete.

13. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

helloo I havent been in this aprt of the forum for sooo long, soo many cool shots :)

I havent shot much, the guy who Im working with now on weddings he does mainly videos, so Ive only done one photo wedding "recently" lol

Either way here is a self portrait I did. I was teaching my mate how to work with lights so I took the opportunity to bring my bass and take a show. All lights were video lights

[​IMG]

14. Philligan

Awesome pictures, everyone. :yesway:

I haven't been on at all in the past couple weeks. Life has been busy, and we've had a few really nice days, but it's been mostly terrible weather (alternating between snow and rain pretty much every day) and I haven't been shooting much.

I did take some photos for a friend tonight - he's playing at a pub next month.

I wish this wasn't so tight, but I had to use my 35mm since I didn't want to exaggerate the guitar/hand, and there was a bunch of stuff beside him that I didn't want in the frame. I shot him in his guitar room, which is tiny, so I had my back against the wall and actually had the camera up above my shoulder to get as much of him in the frame as possible.

I would have liked to have backed up a few more steps, gotten the entire guitar in the frame, and done a square crop, but what can you do. :lol:

This was 1/180, ISO 200, and f/2.8, with a single 24x36 softbox probably arm's length from him. I really like softbox light - it seems a bit more contrasty than umbrellas, but just as soft, and it's a lot easier to control. I just have the one 24x36, and it's one of the ones where the light mounts in the middle of the softbox and points backwards - I'd really like a square or octa that rear-mounts the flash, so it's easier to position.

[​IMG]cory-wide by Phil Babbey, on Flickr

15. Tang

Tang Master of Chihuahuas

16. ThePhilosopher

That's all nice stuff there from Abranger down through Tang's B&W's (the color just doesn't have the impact of the first three shots).

Phil, wait until you can try a gridded 22" or 27"+ beauty dish - then the fun really begins.

17. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

18. CircuitalPlacidity

CircuitalPlacidity Carnivorous Jesus

^Was the posing of the feet in that first photo intentional? Adds so much more depth and interest.

19. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

thank you for noticing :hbang:

i was going with the literal translation of 'hanging the boots'. kinda like a corporate life exhausting someone, so they are contemplating if its worth going with it further.

also the 'hitman' outfit. quitting killing people kinda thing

20. LeviathanKiller

LeviathanKiller Knee-shooting Archer

I ordered a photobook from there and the pages stuck together eventually ripping spots into the pages. So YMMV. I don't use them professionally anymore but I always snag their free and special offers for personal use.