Petition for AMT Electronics Ampeg VH140c pedal

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Gmork, Jun 17, 2016.

1. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

AMT Electronics hear our call, for i am not alone. PLEASE make a Legend series Ampeg VH140c pedal. It is a legendary amp sorely missing from your line up. They are very much sought after and quite hard to find. Making this pedal makes sense in every way and would be beneficial to all involved. SSO community please comment if you agree. Maybe if we plead loud enough they will hear! thanks :hbang:

All_¥our_Bass likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Doesn't the AmpTweaker Tightmetal already sound like one?

3. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

no not exactly. its modeled after the amped and the 5150. so its like a combination of both but also has its own sound. it def sounds very much like a blend of those 2 and as amazing as the tightmetal is id still love an AMT pedal that simply sounds exactly like the ampeg.

4. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

I'd be all for this. If they can make it sound exact with some eq settings under the $150 mark I think they'd sell.

Kind of a niche amp IMO but it is one of the best SS amps for old school DM.

5. kindsage

kindsage SS.org Regular

None of the legend II series preamp's are under $150 though. I don't think that would happen.

I'd be down for an AMT VH140c though :) knowing them it would come out almost exact.
    But keep in there is already a pedal out right now that is suppose to be a clone of the VH140c preamp. I forget what it's called but it's out there.

More than anything I wish they would make a Dark Terror preamp clone. They have the O2 out right now which is their "Orange" pedal, but it's based off the AD-30 which is way too vintage for what I'm looking for.

6. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

I have the DT-2 which was supposed to be Marshall, Mesa and Fender in a box with emulation and it is neither, so I am not sure how much I'd care about them making one.

7. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I hate to sound like a doubting thomas here, but I don't think it can be done.

The Ampeg is already a SS circuit that consists of many SS components that cumulatively make up it's signature sound. These parts (opamps, resistors, transistors, capacitors) are rather large as it is. It's an amp head after all. There's a big circuit board in there.

The only way to do it, would be to shrink it all down with SMT (surface mount tech) using micro components, which AMT already uses in part.

8. Desolate1

Desolate1 SS.org Regular

I would definitely be interested in one.

9. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

jacksonluvr646 - it sounds like their other legend series pedals are on the mark!

kindsage - i think you might be talking about the S&K which i would love to hear for myself. i heard a negative comment about it but its really impossible to just go by vids which is most likely the case. i use to have a dark terror! sounded great! ended up selling it for something more powerful, always missed it though.

Desent - typically when something tries to be many things it ends up being the jack of all trades but master of none so im not surprised, judging from lots of feedback on the legend series though it seems that they are practically indistinguishably spot on!

wakjob - technology is a lot more advanced than it was back in the 90s. they should be able to do it. besides they somehow cram all those tube amps into a pedal seemingly perfectly! im hopeful :)

10. monkeysuncle

monkeysuncle SS.org Regular

OH GOD PLEASE DO YES!!!1!!11!

11. thraxil

thraxil cylon

I would buy one.

12. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

That's because AMT uses a mu-amp circuit that utilizes jfets to simulate the tube stages.

A SS amp has a parts count that is many times more than that of a tube amp.

I'm talking about physical parts count here. And an amp is the sum of ALL its parts.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Also, I remember someone here posting a video of a VH140C preamp pedal, and it really didn't sound close at all. :shrug:

14. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Isn't a crate GX130c a pretty close copy already?
    I know its not in pedal form but i'm fairly certain they can go for sub $200-150.

15. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

16. HeHasTheJazzHands

^I've actually been thinking about buying that preamp. :lol: That's also something else that came to mind.

17. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

I have too! :lol:

The only thing that's stopping me is that, I know the complete amp is what makes it special.

It's like having a RockMaster pre, hoping it'll sound exactly like the Ultra 120.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

That's true, but that's a damn good price for one of the preamps.

But at the same time, if I wanted my solid state amp fix, I'd rather find a Randall RG100ES, Peavey Supreme XL, or Peavey XXL.

19. Gmork

Gmork SS.org Regular

hey WAKJOB thank you SO MUCH for linking to that!!! looks like very soon ill be the proud new owner of the crate xlp preamp as well!!! lol being broke has never felt so good!!! i cant believe ive never heard of this during all my hunting for a vh140

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016
  20. Great Satan

Great Satan Hell-o

Do a little search for 'VH140c copy' on other forums, i believe crate did a range that were very close, some say even identical.