Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

meh if people like it, then cool. i just want to be happy with the music i make with my band. the beauty of a passion project is you don't need to care what anyone else thinks hshs

coreysMonster, Dcm81 and Kyle-Vick like this.
  2. TonyFlyingSquirrel

TonyFlyingSquirrel Cherokee Warrior

Mic Drop!

3. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

Hey @bulb not sure if I can ask this, but is it possible that this album won't have any 7 string songs? Seems like you guys are really going away from 7 and 8 strings. I noticed you guys aren't playing them at all in your social media posts.

Masoo2 and kylendm like this.
  4. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

Next you'll be asking for 6 minute abs. It's Seven, Seven minute abs!

If music were written by requests from the peanut gallery then I'd want a song about a robot boy that never learned how to 1101101.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
  5. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Please do. It really bums me out when I hear about guys being rushed on stuff like this. Whatever it is, I really hope you don't have to put a bow on it and send it to the label unless you're all totally done with it (or...as done with it as you can realistically be. We all know no one is ever 100% satisfied).
    And while P2 is the only album that's still in my regular rotation, I do still listen to all of them from time to time- they all have a different charm and a different style. Pretty sure that's how you can tell when you like a band and don't just like an album. I'm sure I'll dig your guys' take on whatever style it is you all go with, even though I may not listen to it as often.

Although if I may make a cheeky suggestion real quick- jab Spence in the arm for me if the word 'misery' makes it's way onto more than 1 song again :lol:

6. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Curious about this as well

I found it really interesting comparing how they handled the 6 strings songs in P1 through Clear when compared to Juggernaut/P3. If it's all 6 string and at least remotely similar to the former rather than the latter, I'll be SUPER excited. Mark/Misha are 6 string gods with Haunted Shores (just listen to that pre-Viscera stuff, so good) and Jake's always been great at it too as shown in Summer Jam, but I didn't really notice much of that in Juggernaut.

More 8 string songs similar to Ji is always welcomed as well, again not a big fan of the Juggernaut spin on the instrument.

7. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

All New Materials will probably remain one of my favorite six string song of theirs. One of the best intros out of their entire catalogue.

8. Mayhew

Mayhew SS.org Regular

How about we pass around a box for everyone's "advice" and then we can force Periphery into said box and when they try to escape the confines of this very creative space we jab them right in the self esteem via our salty internet comments. Now I'm off to play a rousing game of Jump To Conclusions.

9. bracky

bracky Contributor

I think I’ll pet my cat and listen to P3.

teqnick likes this.
  10. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Nuts, I loved the juggernaut albums. Love p1, love p2, love clear, love p3. I think I dig the juggernaut albums the most though, right now.

Nothing crazy, just like them for what they all are. Not really fanboying.

Mayhew likes this.
  11. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

I never thought that Juggernaut was all that stylistically different. Still sounds like Periphery to me. The biggest jump for me was P1 to P2, probably because it was no longer Misha's solo bedroom project. That said I prefer the 6 string stuff. The drop A style is utilized really well too. As far as songwriting goes in general I think most people would be better off just putting down their downtuned ERGs.

scrub likes this.
  12. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

It'll be the album we deserve, just not the one we need right now.

Let's see where that dad rock strat inspires you to go.... just playing that guitar is pure sex...even with the relicing.

13. Dcm81

Dcm81 SS.org Regular

The real beauty is that such a passion project can become so successful!

14. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

15. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Periphery electronic album featuring Jon Hopkins, calling it now.

16. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Would be stoked, to be honest.
    Jake and Misha's electronic stuff is always so comfy.

Masoo2 likes this.
  17. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

tbh I'd be 100% on board with that. Jake's album is amazing.

18. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

He finally put his first EP, Zu, up on Spotify. Really glad he did that because I was sick of having to use SoundCloud to listen to it. He released it in 2011, it’s only five tracks but they’re all really good.

Masoo2 likes this.
  19. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Okay I must write music differently than you guys, but when I'm writing a song or an album, I'm not thinking about a quota of 6, 7 and 8 string songs. It's however it works out. We will write with whatever instruments inspire us at that point in time. Therefore I will only know how many songs are 6, 7 and 8 once the album songs are written.

bracky, couverdure and Masoo2 like this.
  20. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

We have never put out an album we weren't satisfied with. What we HAVE had to deal with is stress and pressure. PII was so stressful and such a miserable experience that I swore to myself I would never allow that to happen again, and that was after P1 which was no walk in the park either. PII was pushed back 3 times I think, and we had that Dream Theater tour in the middle of the session. But that's what it took. Even PIII was pushed back from the original date. You guys don't know this stuff because the release date doesn't get announced until the masters are turned in. But PIII was a relatively stress free and super fun process.

I wouldn't be able to live with myself if we had rushed an album to meet a deadline. But without deadlines there, honestly albums would never get done. So it's a bit of a dance.
    This time around we are setting no deadlines, that's what will be different. With that said maybe it will not take us long to write it, but we will have the luxury of being able to sit on the ideas for a bit, maybe jam them out and hear them in that context to develop them a bit.

Also we don't take suggestions.