Periphery Megathread: Everything Periphery

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by lava, Feb 9, 2010.

1. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

I hope it wasn't erised.

thetourist likes this.
  2. LordGloom

LordGloom SS.org Regular

I'm extremely late to the Periphery party, but after years of avoiding them for whatever reason, I finally gave them a listen. I randomly heard a few songs from the newest album and decided to purchase it. This was a month or so ago, and it's been on repeat every day since. I can honestly say it's the best album I've heard in the last couple of years. I kick myself for not hearing them until now, but I do currently get to enjoy discovering a "new" band, something which is a rarity these days.

Diving into their back catalog, as well as interviews, demos, studio videos, etc. has been beyond enjoyable and incredibility inspiring. I've been in a creative rut for what feels like years, and Periphery has dug me out of that. I started taking guitar seriously again, and I've actually started recording stuff too. My recordings still sound like hot garbage and my guitar skills are fecal-esque, but it feels great to have some motivation.

3. toolsound

toolsound SS.org Regular

I know that feeling - it's awesome. Always such a profound experience when you find that next band that makes you go, "Woah..."

4. LordGloom

LordGloom SS.org Regular

It truly is an awesome feeling. Just when I think there aren't any more bands that I can connect to, one randomly surprises me and I submerge myself with everything related to that band. It happened with Cave In last year (I know, late to that party as well), and Periphery this year.

5. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

I think the guys can write great riffs. The vocalist should fire himself though.

scrub and NickS like this.
  6. Ordacleaphobia

Ordacleaphobia Can only power chord

Did you just not listen to Periphery II?
    Personally, Veredika was my favorite vocalist of theirs, but there's no denying that Sp0nce is a fuckin' monster- and he fits their sound well.

Slunk Dragon and Masoo2 like this.
  7. LordGloom

LordGloom SS.org Regular

I think the vocals were what originally turned me off from the band, but now I can't think of a better vocalist for them. His range is fantastic, and both his screams and cleans compliment the songs perfectly. He kind of sounds like Daryl from Glassjaw at points.

8. Semi-pro

Semi-pro SS.org Regular

Spencer is awesome. Buuuuuut, I just wish they'd write more stuff like on their 1st album. I heard from an interview that they let Spence write his lines from PII onwards and you can definitely hear that. That or the fact that they've left more space for him to work on his lines. Whichever the reason, it results to more basic melodies (and more boring background) instead of that cool fusion-ish vibe that's constantly present on the first album. More of that please. I think they have all the pieces (members & crew) to bring the real shizzle, but they should just get back to the more interesting vocal lines. PII had it's moments but you can hear the difference on that one already. Not really digging the direction of the latest album. I really hope they'd surprise me positively, I've got the steel dragon t-shirt from the pre-debut era for Jebus' sake! Make me proud of wearing that!

Eptaceros likes this.
  9. JEngelking

JEngelking Gravity is Shifting!

I eagerly await the day that I get to hear Ow My Feelings live, I wanna say a couple years back Misha mentioned they considered throwing it into the setlist.

teqnick likes this.
  10. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

I think a huge part of why P1 is so different from the rest of their material is the entire album was written solely by Misha, besides Racecar, which had input from Jake. A lot of P2 was also old bulb stuff, as well. P1 was like....ten years in the making. “The Walk” and “Letter Experiment” were written in 2004. I think Mark joining the band also had a profound influence on their sound.

duffbeer33 likes this.
  11. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

thanks for your support pal

periphery is a passion project, we are gonna write what we wanna write

bracky, couverdure and thetourist like this.
  12. Obsidian Soul

Obsidian Soul SS.org Regular

We will never get a Periphery debut again.Spencer enjoys his pop style of singing and Mark and Jake have a different style to Misha's.To have another Periphery debut,the whole band would have to look at Misha and tell him to write a whole album with no regard to what everyone else will play.That's why the vocals in that album sound so unconventional;it's like somebody tried to find a seat in a crowded movie theater.

13. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

and it would have to be 2005-2010 and I would have to be into the same music and sounds I was into then

14. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire Contributor

FWIW, personally I feel like while the direction has changed over the albums, Periphery keep raising the bar on their own musicianship. PIII has some seriously epic stuff going on.

Masoo2 likes this.
  15. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

exactly

While I might not be as big of a fan of the newer post-Clear stuff, there's no denying the musicianship has improved with every release.

Juggernaut kinda put me off of Periphery for a while, but after listening to P3 for the first real time a year after it came out I've began to really appreciate their newer stuff. P3 is SO good.

16. coreysMonster

coreysMonster So long, Germany!

Yeah I feel like Juggernaut was a weird side-step into a territory I personally didn't care for, but P3 blew my mind.

17. musicaldeath

musicaldeath Herald of Djod

P1 was great but it does sound like a collection of riffs and some cool songs in comparison to P2 and 3 (havent listened to Juggernaught). The writting is far more mature on the new stuff and the musicianship is top notch. There is space in the songs for everyone. I wouldnt want to see them revert back to a P1 style of writting as the amalgamation of everyone in the band is what has made 2 and 3 great albums.

18. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

i get the feeling this new album is going to be weird

we are really gonna spend time with this one since we have never had that luxury in the past

i will not be surprised if this ends up being my favorite periphery album and most of you guys hate it

19. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Fuck it, dude. Like you said, Periphery is a passion project so at the end of the day if you enjoyed writing and working on the material and you’re happy with the end result, I’d say that’s a success.

Besides, I feel like a lot of bands these days aren’t really given room to grow and develop their sound over time. There’s lots of great bands where their debut sounds radically different from their later records. Look at Rush for an easy example of that.

EDIT: Also....more OMNOM with Elliot, please. I still listen to it from time to time haha

20. Sephiroth952

Sephiroth952 Ibby Fanboy

Shall we gather the pitchforks now or later?

Serious though, I think going weirder might be what people want more than anything anyway.