Periphery - "Icarus Lives!" with Casey's vocals posted!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. Naren

Naren OldschoolGhettostyle

Same here. Darrel Wane is probably the vocalist I hate the most in metal music right now. My bass player thought the exact same thing as me when he first heard Nevermore, "This music is so awesome... then the vocals came in and totally ruined it for me. I'd buy an album if he wasn't the singer."

I don't know if I'd consider him a bad singer, but he sings in a way that grates on my nerves. Almost like his notes don't match what he's singing to. But not in the cool dischordant way I like. More in that I-want-to-stick-knives-in-my-ears way.

I actually really like Casey's vocals, so I can't really compare them at all. :lol:

2. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

Yeah, that's exactly how I feel (though I also feel that Nevermore's music 75-80% of the time sounds like a muddy, incoherent mess). There are a few songs, though, where the band locks together into something really solid sounding and the vocals actually fit ("I, Voyager", "Final Product" and "Believe In Nothing" are about the only Nevermore songs I listen to).

And I really like Casey's singing, so I wouldn't compare the two at all :lol:

3. Maggai

Maggai Slayer of the gods

Casey is doing some very interesting stuff with the melodies. He doesn't have the same hook as "they sky keeps calling my name" part, but after more listens, and reading the lyrics while listening, it really sinks in and starts to shine. I also dig his screaming.

Those really high pitched tones do bear some resemblance to some emo/screamo singers, I don't mind it, it sounds great. But I can see where people are coming from with that comment.

4. Plankis

Plankis SS.org Regular

This one is far more better than the older version. More melodic and more interesting in general.

5. FoxZero

FoxZero Zero Imperfections

Wow, not a ton of Nevermore fans in this thread. I thought "This Godless Endeavor" was completely perfect. Shit my favorite song Setient 6.

We all really have our own tastes here. Then again I have some real interesting influences myself. :lol:

6. noodles

noodles Contributor

Wow, what's with the Warrel hate? I love the guy's vocals. Very unique and challenging to listen to. I guess he will just always be someone you either get or don't. :shrug:

7. FoxZero

I agree, I totally dig his vocals but when I showed my Nevermore CD they couldn't stand him.

8. Ext789

Ext789 SS.org Regular

I like "The Riverdragon has Come", I just don't like any of their other songs i've heard ha. He picks really weird notes to make harmonies with, he has some weird vocal melodies in the first place, also imo he gets overly dramatic with his vocals and it just sounds cheesy. In addition, there is really only one singer I like who uses high falsetto screams and it isn't warrel dane.

9. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Who the heck is Darrel Wane? :scratch:

10. eleven59

Warrel Dane, is my guess.

11. The Dark Wolf

^ Too serious and literal. :agreed:

12. eleven59

Yeah...well...:lol:

13. The Dark Wolf

14. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Thats actually my least liked nevermore song :lol:

I'm a fan of them though. i have all their albums, including EPs/singles. Signed. I've seen them thrice as well :lol:

Warrel is an awesome singer.

FoxZero likes this.
  15. FoxZero

You don't like Sentient 6? :gasp: :lol:

I can understand, but ya see I'm into adult contemporary stuff as well as metal and I love that mellow piano and orchastrol and especially acoustic stuff. I even try writing shit like that. I don't know why I like it, some of my taste in music is quite interesting. :lol: So ya see how Sentient 6 touches me.

I don't care what anyone thinks Warrel is the shit and I think he completes Nevermore's sound. Imagine if they had a screamer... I think it's so cool that they're that freakin heavy with none of that goddamn screamer/growler shit.

That's why I really look forward to what Casey willl bring to Periphery. Cause you see, I didn't like Warrel either, but he grew on me and now he's one of my favorite vocalists.

The stuff that doesn't reach ya right away and slowly grows on ya is the best stuff in my opinion.

16. Codyyy

Codyyy The Flip-Flopper

MY ACID WORDS :)

17. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

Its not the style of music that sentient 6 is, i just dont like the song. I think they should've left it at the learning and been done with it.

I agree with you on having Warrel doing vocals over those badass riffs. it makes the sound. That said, i love screamer and growling shit. I'm in a death metal band. Its what i like :lol:

18. The Dark Wolf

Fuck all, I think Sentient 6 is one of the greatest songs in metal ever, from concept, to lyrics, to musical content... it just is fucking SWELL.

FoxZero likes this.
  19. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I think that song is awesome too. The solo in it is one of the most catchy ever also IMO. It's not one of my favorite songs on the disc but I do enjoy it.

20. Blexican

Blexican ???