Periphery - "Icarus Lives!" with Casey's vocals posted!

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by bulb, Dec 25, 2007.

Tags:
  1. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Hey guys, as our lil christmahannukwanzaa present to the woild, we have posted up the demo version of Icarus Lives! with Casey's vocals on it.

You can listen here: MySpace.com - PERIPHERY (Icarus with vocals!) - BETHESDA, Maryland - Metal / Experimental / Rock - www.myspace.com/periphery

Now one little note about all of this (aimed only at those who have heard the Jake version a million times like i have), i would definitely give it a few listens to let it sink in just because it IS different and you need to get used to it, but after 4 or 5 listens myself i started hearing it objectively and i love it! If you havent heard the jake version then just go for it haha!

Anyways, have a good holiday everyone!

Enjoy

FYP666, Shawn, FoxZero and 24 others like this.
  2. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

Sounds weird.. :lol:

[action=Jason]listens over and over[/action]

3. ShawnFjellstad

ShawnFjellstad hates womanizers.

i'm really used to the jake version. :lol:

that said, i like it a lot.

4. itsallinmyh3ad

itsallinmyh3ad ...Made me do it.

Sorry man...although the new singer sings very well, I prefer the older one. I'm not feeling this new one. My :2c: though.

5. Krunch

Krunch Krunch SMASH

Sounds different. I like it. There are a couple parts that are a little weird, scale-wise, but they work and I'm sure it will grow on me. :yesway:

6. B Lopez

B Lopez Vescere bracis meis.

First bit of vocals made my bro and I say "Fuck this. :noway:" and we turned it off.

I've listened to it a few times since, and I personally still vastly prefer the instrumental, but this one's good too.

7. Ext789

Ext789 SS.org Regular

god I love the high notes casey hits, I think I only heard jake's version a few times but I mostly listened to the non vocal version of of icarus lives, so I don't remember it that well with vocals. but yea casey rules :bowdown:

8. playstopause

playstopause Contributor

:agreed: When the first verse started, i was really surprised. Fell on the floor.
    :lol: Joking. The song beeing that good, it will grow on me for sure.

9. Metal Ken

Metal Ken Hates the Air Contributor

I havent heard the original version, but its cool to hear this kind of riffage without screaming over it.

10. Blexican

Blexican ???

I like Casey's approach to the song, but I think he could have sang more, honestly. Also, in some parts, there's dissonance between Casey's voice and the guitars, which is kinda distracting. Did he do that on purpose?

11. Variant

Variant Banned

:yesway: I like it... he's more distinctive than Jake was. I think it'd help if he doubled the melodic parts with more growls... maybe.

12. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Wow. I like the Jake version way, way, way better.

There's nothing real distinctive in the way this guy sings, IMO. The old version had such a memorable hook. "It's like the SKYYYY keeps, calling my NAAAmme..." Djent, djent!

This? Not so much. :(

The Beavis shit at the end kinda really threw me off, too. But thanks for posting anyway.

13. XEN

XEN BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS Contributor

I do agree with the boobmeister that the original had that hook, but I really like this version too. I love the direction the melody takes and can really hear his '80s influences which works for me as an old fart.
    The beavis stuff does tone back the intensity of the song in a "we're very serious musicians, but please don't take us that way" kind of way.
    Otherwise I love it and so does the rest of my family. My toddler even ran to his keyboard to play along. He LOVES Periphery.

stuh84 likes this.
  14. Apophis

Apophis Banned

I like it very much :agreed: for me awesome :yesway:

15. stuh84

stuh84 The Viking himself Contributor

Yeah, I'm liking it, I like a good mix of clean and growled vocals, and this sounds great.

I didn't listen to the last version a 1000 times, so I dont have it ingrained into me. Really liking this loads :D

16. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

well to those who liked it right off the bat im glad!
    to those who arent crazy about it or just plain dislike it i would be interested in seeing where you guys are at a week from now, cuz i have had about a month with this song and now i just cant imagine going back to the jake version cuz i love it so much, not saying everyone is going to agree, but hopefully some of you guys will warm up to it like i did!

17. Alpo

Alpo ... Contributor

I like this much more than the Jake version. Way more unique. :yesway: I might actually listen to this more than the instrumental version...

18. TomAwesome

TomAwesome I LIKE JUICE!!!

Casey's vocal style is definitely kind of different and takes just a little getting used to. I really like it, though! I do find myself missing the "Sky keeps calling my naaaame" line and a couple other parts, but this is after only an initial listen after having the old version burned into my brain. Anyway, I've been waiting for this since you posted that first clip of Casey, and I was not let down! :yesway:

Probably could've done without that "Beavis" part at the end, though. I dunno. :shrug:

19. Greg Pope

Greg Pope SS.org Regular

It's always hard I think to re-create over an original, as bulb said if you know the original it will never be the same it can only grow on you, or you just wont like it! I really like the vocals on the other clip mainly because I hadn't heard vox on that so it sounded great! but first listen with this I wasn't greatly impressed! but hay you never know! a couple more listens and growing on me already. I'm looking forward to hearing completely new stuff!

Oh yeah! and what the hell is going on at the end! crazy mofos!!

20. _detox

_detox lurkin'.

Come on guys, it's not supposed to be all serious! I thought that part was hilarious.

I'm also used to Jake's version too much. I keep expecting some parts to be Jake-lines..

I have to say though, regardless of the fact that there was no love at first sound, I know this will grow on me. It's probably my brain wondering why Casey is singing where Jake used to, because the Juggies clip makes me crap my pants every time I listen.

I really like Casey's lyrics too.

:metal: