Perfect Dark Metal Medley

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by hoffmaniv, Jun 12, 2016.

1. hoffmaniv

hoffmaniv Basement Dweller

After taking a pretty big swing at the soundtrack of Gunstar Heroes, my bandmate and I wanted to do a larger medley from a video game. So he and I recorded and arranged a long string of songs from "Perfect Dark" (which you may remember as the hugely underappreciated N64 FPS that Rare made after Goldeneye 007).

It features some cool 8 string rhythms and cinematic elements as well, which we're pretty proud of -- as a whole, it probably stands as our best production to date. Seems like a lot of work to be putting into something that we didn't compose, I know. But it's 2016 and there's no excuse for bad production! Plus, we'd prefer to be exercising our mixing and engineering chops on covers before we tackle our own music. On the next medley, I'm thinking we'll probably do away with the sampled drums and get some actual performances in there.

Thanks for looking, gents. If you think you might know someone that appreciates this kind of stuff, please feel free to share it around!

Dayn likes this.
  2. Dayn

Dayn silly person

Holy .... Perfect Dark and Gunstar Heroes. Incredible. How did you know my top two favourite games? This is great.

3. hoffmaniv

Thank you man! They're probably up there in my top ten as well. The only thing I regret about covering them through a medley was the sheer amount of great songs we had to skip over. Gunstar Heroes' ending theme really appealed to me, and we wanted to do the menu theme and Carrington Institute from Perfect Dark. We had to be reasonable though lol.

Next stop... Zelda.

4. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

You guys are amazing players and the production is fantastic. It sounds great! As a child of the 90's, this brought back a lot of fond N64 memories. In fact, I e-mailed a link to the YouTube video to my brother. This takes me back! (I was so into both PD and GoldenEye that I still have dreams about multiplayer mode, no lie)

5. hoffmaniv

Thank you for watching and sharing, BoneClaws! The multiplayer mode is really the best aspect of Goldeneye and PD. I still have fond memories of being the asshole who played Oddjob in Goldeneye so that other people had to look down to hit me.

6. BoneClaws

BoneClaws Young Old Man

Yes, classic! Also, setting a nest of proximity mines as the ultimate trap. That was always a ton of fun. Such good times. Ah, memories.

7. hoffmaniv

That was the worst haha. I had a friend who was obsessed with proximity mines. He'd litter an entire hallway with them. I was never devious enough to sneak a peek at other player's screens so I'd never be a step ahead of them.

8. Hellbound

Hellbound €£¥€£¥€£¥€£•

Guyz this is just what I needed tonight... Thank you. :)

9. Spicypickles

Spicypickles 8 string Warrior

Duuuuuudddeeeeeee, PerfectDark is the ....!! I've logged months into that game. I actually still own it and play it.

And I love the M-II UC. I've wanted one of those since they came out.

10. hoffmaniv

Awh, thank you man. Glad to hear you enjoyed it!

PD is awesome.

All Jesse (the main guitarist in the video, I'm the JP6 guy) talks about is how awesome his M-II is. And he's totally justified, because if I had a six-string that awesome I'd be doing the same. It's a bitchin' guitar. Don't ever drop one if you get one, though ... the camo is a matte finish so it doesn't take dings very well!