Percussive playing/Right Hand/Ghost Notes Help Needed

Discussion in 'Jazz, Acoustic, Classical & Fingerstyle' started by OmegaSlayer, May 25, 2016.

1. OmegaSlayer

OmegaSlayer SS.org Regular

After saying a thousand times I wanted to learn Percussive Style, I finally got my hands and head seriously into it.
    Starting to practice fingerstyle seriously and finding some interesting videos that helped me a bit at least to figure out basic things in a clear way.

When I decided to look into slap techniques for guitars, I realized that EVERY single video I saw on youtube trying to teach you how to slap/pop/whatevs on guitar is quite lame.
    Obviously there are movements that intertwines between slap, fingerstyle and percussive.
    So I had the great idea to look directly into bass lessons...I took years to realize that but I finally got it.
    It's obviously easier to get how a technique works on an instrument where the technique was developed on, rather than understanding the mechanics on an instrument where the mechanics are moved.
    Basically I think that who tries to teach you to slap on guitar, thinks that the viewer has already some base covered, so they actually miss to explain some points here and there.

I must say that, while I have to work on fluidity and speed and get used on strange patterns, I got the full gist of it mechanically and conceptually.

But there's something I can't manage to get properly.
    It's the ghost notes (if you play slap) or the hi-hat kind of sound if you play percussion style.
    So I'm talking about the movement of the left hand going to hit the strings to achieve the "clanky sound".
    What I manage to get is either a string muting or some harmonics out of nowhere...or the odd hammered-on note here and there.
    So string muting is a movement that is either too slow or too weak (or both) to get the clank sound.
    Harmonics means that I hit the strings in a position where an harmonic is, and there's plenty between the 3rd and 7th fret, so I moved my hand back and forth on the fretboard, but I still produce some kind of noise that is NOT what I'm trying to achieve.
    The hammered note obviously means I hit too fast and hard and rested to much on the fret...or at least long enough to have that note actually heard.

But basically each of this mistakes means that I try to realize where my mistake is, and correct with other solutions that are NOT solutions.
    Which leaves me to think that I miss something FUNDAMENTAL in the technique, which perhaps might be my hand angle, the part of my hand that has to hit the strings, or something else I don't realize.

I tried on both nylon and steel strings...same results.

Please HELP.

2. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

I've been using this guy to learn slap and pop and actually having a bass also helps.

check this video or go through the whole slapping section/playlist.

Mostly from the sound of it you're trying to mute with only one finger, to get it sounding right you need to use at lest 2 finger flat across the strings.

3. OmegaSlayer

Yeah, studing directly from bass then applying to guitar is the only way to go.
    Thanks. :)
    The site is down for manteinance at the moment, but I'll check later again.

4. randomas

randomas SS.org Regular

Also you're action may be a problem. On my 7-string action is pretty low so I manage to do the open string slap-mute-muted slap routine fine, but on fretted notes to achieve the left hand mutes (ghost notes) I have to unfret the string at the same time, which is a little more complex mechanically, due to the extra movement.

5. OmegaSlayer

I'm practicing slap mostly on acoustic and classical, then I'll move to the electric later on when I feel more confident.