Pens, writing utensils, handwriting MEGAthread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vilk, Jun 9, 2013.

1. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

As a left handed I can assure you Hebrew works just as well :lol:

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

you could always teach yourself to write upside down. Just make sure to start at the bottom of the page.

3. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

4. vilk

vilk Very Regular

you realize the one you wrote baha about is a 200$ fountain pen? And the one you posted is a rollerball (and the site doesn't even specify what kind of ink it uses)? It looks pretty ok but they're not even the same thing.

5. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

The baha was at the comment relating to the expensive pen; the "it's a mysteryyyyy", not the pen itself.

6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

Soooo I got my Lamy Al-Star in Graphite yesterday.

It is awesome but holy GOD I hate this nib. It's way too big. I'm more of a fine or ultra fine kinda guy.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

ohhh sorry for being snide then :ugh: Usually no one thinks I'm funny so when I see someone laugh I almost never assume it could be anything but negative.

Woah, this made me realize that the one I was testing at the store the other day must have been the medium. I was thinking it was the bold, but then when I looked online just now I see that they don't sell it in bold, so the one I thought was bold must have been medium, and the one I thought was medium must have been fine. Good thing I didn't go and buy the wrong one! Thanks for making that mistake for me!

if nothing else it will be a nice pen to use for signing stuff. Signatures look better with a bold nib, even if it's not so great for day to day use.

8. sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223 B.C. Rich loyalist

If I can figure out how to upload pics here, y'all can soon see my "girly handwriting"...doing shows again, so I'm getting back into the habit of taping "cheat sheets" to the back of my headstocks so I can quickly reference tunings for faster guitar changes on stage.

9. vilk

vilk Very Regular

upload to photobucket or some image hosting site, then in the message typing zone press the image button then enter the direct link is the preferred method. The site automatically resizes everything.

10. liamh

liamh Geek-chic

My handwriting isn't anything special, but I love writing instruments. The pride of my collection is my Mont Blanc Meisterstuck platinum rollerball I was given on my 18th birthday

11. erotophonophilia

erotophonophilia SS.org Regular

The Energel and Pilot pens are about the only cheap pens I can use, because the ink dries fast. Just another reason being a lefty sucks.

Are there any fountain pens, that dry extreme fast?

12. vilk

vilk Very Regular

I'm in love with a new pen. The pentel Tradio PulaMan. I've never seen a pen like this. So, its water based ink, nice and dark, and it's not a ball point or a fountain. It's almost like a felt tip, except not felt. It's like a hard Styrofoam, or some kind of plastic, but it actually has ink flowing through it. Cost about 5 bucks but totally worth it. I imagine it's going to run out of ink pretty quickly though. Because of the nature of the tip, and I'm sure some people would call it a flaw, once in a while it actually flicks a little bit of ink speckles here and there when you write-- but actually I think this looks kind of cool, like I'm using a quill or something. I've never used a quill but I imagine them to do that.

[​IMG]

13. Luke Scicluna

Luke Scicluna SS.org Regular

14. Idontpersonally

Idontpersonally Banned

Any old ball point will do for drawing and writing. Microns for illustrations. Chiz tip Sharpies and paint markers for "shrimping" I hate that term but I guess that's the new collective agreement for drawing on skin.

You dont want to see my handwriting, I think switching to cursive may be a good idea now that i think about it. It is faster and looks better. I have some sharpie stuff in my gallery and some ink drawings here
    http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/ar...f-youve-drawn-painted-etc-12.html#post3660028

15. vilk

vilk Very Regular

16. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

I went from thinking that was stupid to thinking it was awesome so quickly. :yesway:

17. Solodini

Solodini MORE RESTS!

Holy whut! That's really cool!

18. Surveyor 777

Surveyor 777 I measure things

That Polar Pen looks cool! I esp. liked where the person was using it to draw a circle - that would be handy for me doing my surveying notes/sketches.

Don't use pens much but automatic pencils all the time. I'm a lefty also so it takes a bit of work to get good handwriting. For me to have my writing look like proper, right handed writing (meaning the letters slant to the right) I really have to turn my paper to a weird angle.

19. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

For lead, I prefer HB or 2B lead.
    [​IMG]
    ....in' sweet. I used to use .9 lead and I started thinning out considerably. I prefer 0.5 now.

I also have a basic calligraphy set and I just started using it. I have a shaft with 3 interchangeable nibs that are something like 10+ years old my mom gave me.
    [​IMG]

And I have this fountain pen, Scheaffer Prelude.
    [​IMG]

20. Cabinet

Cabinet :O

I just got that model as a .5 mechanical pencil, that thing is pretty sweet for the price (4 dollars maybe?)
    No wiggle, easy to write.