Pens, writing utensils, handwriting MEGAthread

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by vilk, Jun 9, 2013.

1. sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223 B.C. Rich loyalist

I'm kinda poor, but I do like a quality pen. My personal favorites are the Pentel EnerGel line and the Pilot G2 retractables. I write a lot, mostly lyrics and poetry (I actually carry a memo book with me everywhere, because inspiration strikes at the strangest moments...) , so I like a good, reliable pen, and those two do the job quite well at a very reasonable price.

As to handwriting, mine is very neat and very small, and a lot of my friends describe it as "girly", for some reason.

2. MFB

MFB ExBendable

I remember the first time I saw this, and I swear to you - I had never came harder in my life than seeing someone use a fountain pen this well.

Seriously, it's a skill in and of itself.

OT: I use Pilot G-2's exclusive, more precisely the 07 as the 05's are too thin and the 10's look like I'm writing with a worm dipped in ink they're so thick.

3. tacotiklah

tacotiklah I am Denko (´・ω・`)

Great thread idea! Although, I have horrible handwriting and therefore prefer to type everything, I still like writing with a good pen. I'm not sure on the type of pens that I have (when you're shopping for school supplies in a hurry so that you can go see a movie or order a new guitar, pen details get overlooked. :lol: ), but they write well and I don't have as much issues with them.

One of these days I'll have to show you guys my handwriting. I'll have to ask that you sign a waiver releasing me of liability if your eyes randomly start bleeding. :lol:

4. sniperfreak223

sniperfreak223 B.C. Rich loyalist

I prefer the 05's, but use the 07's a lot just because the pens and the ink refills for the 07's are a lot more readily available around my parts.

5. remorse is for the dead

remorse is for the dead SS.org Regular

This is my handwriting, I love sharpies!

[​IMG]

6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch SS.org Regular

I love this site so much! I never thought I'd see yet ANOTHER thread that is relevant to my interests. I love writing and stuff; I put much more thought into my writing than my useless posts on forums. :) I collect cool looking journals and notebooks when I can. My goal is to one day actually fill them all with my ramblings/drawings/schematics. :lol:

Here's a pic of my most recent on that I got from a Barnes and Noble. It's pretty good. The binding is awesome and the leather is doesn't feel like it'll fall off in 10 years. The pages have a smooth texture when I prefer something a little more "grainy". Buuut, I like it all the same.

[​IMG]

'Bout to get a Lamy Al-Star because of this damn thread, too. I've never given thought to trying out other types of pen types. Oh, here is the obligatory pic of my current pen of choice.

[​IMG]

7. Nile

Nile Giver of the Likes

....ing took me minutes to realize the book wasn't cracked/torn in half.

8. vilk

vilk Very Regular

holy shit now I can't unsee it

9. Skyblue

Skyblue SS.org Regular

I'm serving in the IDF as a CID investigator, and many times (if not most of the time) I'm required to write down the whole Q&A part of the investigation by hand (I've had 17-pages long ones, it was hell... a friend of mine got to 40 though :lol:)
    Though there isn't really a standard cursive writing style in hebrew, I guess my writing could be described as rather cursive (I'll either write something down or just find something already written to show you guys)
    I much prefer writing with 0.5 pens though, the 0.7 already feels too thick :)squint:), not to mention the 1.0 mm... My current pen of choice is the Pentel Energel:
    [​IMG]

During school I also used the Pentel RSVP (which sadly I can't find around here anymore) and the Pilot G3 (which are only to be found in Japan these days, I think).

I also have to say I really hate how EVERYTHING turns computerized these days. Of course it's much more comfortable to type things, but a man's hand writing can tell you so much about him, it's basically his own signature, and it's something we might soon lose with how they supply every kid in schools with laptops and tablets these days.

And one last thing to end my rambling:

Bitches, I control my pens :D

vilk likes this.
  10. stryker1800

stryker1800 Sweet Pickle

I love having a good pen, it drives my wife nuts when I decide I need new pens, but oddly enough don't write often for anything other than what I would call necessities.

Right now I'm using a brand called Tul.

11. Breakdown

Breakdown SS.org Regular

Im not much of a writing utensil kind of guy, but my favorite pencil so far is my Tul. I had only written with the cheap little bic ones before that but my Tul has been the smoothest pencil ive written with so far. the only complaint I have about it is that I have no idea where to refill the lead through. My Zebra M-301 is also a great pencil and it feels very well made (MIJ pencil) especially for the price .

12. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

Welcome to my world, working in education for the last three years. "Sir, I don't have a pen!" *biro*. I swear I buy enough biros every term to fill a swimming pool with ink, and students keep end up "borrowing" them for keeps. I used to like having a nice-quality pen, but as all the real writing I do these days is on a whiteboard or correcting in red ink, I've not bothered. Unless you can get red ink cartridges for a fountain pen, then we'd be talking...

I like cursive handwriting on an aesthetic level, but as far as students' work goes, so long as I can read it without straining I don't give a hoot.

[​IMG]

I TAUGHT MYSELF TO WRITE CURSIVE BACKWARDS KIDS WHY DO YOU HAVE A HARD TIME DOING IT FORWARDS?

13. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

When my students don't have a pen or pencil, I make them use crayons :lol:.

14. vilk

vilk Very Regular

At the job interview I went to before my current job, it was a group interview, and one of the dudes didn't bring a pen and had to borrow one from the interviewer. If it were me, at that point, I'd just tell the guy to go home. No one is going to hire a dude that can't even remember to bring a pen to the god damn interview.

I have no sympathy for the pen-less.

15. danger5oh

danger5oh I'm always... hungry

I've always preferred to use mechanical pencils for sketching, even though its usually frowned upon, and the first time that I saw a Pentech mechanical pencil with the lead advance on the side I lost my f*cking mind.

16. texshred777

texshred777 SS.org Regular

We had to learn cursive when I was in elementary school. It was always shoved down our throats that once you hit high school and college it is required.

After 5th grade, I haven't had a single teacher require or even ask for cursive. I don't really see a point to it anymore besides aesthetic qualities in your own personal writings. I'd be happy if people could form clear sentences, nevermind making it pretty.

I can appreciate a fine writing utensil though. I still prefer to do my writing in hand instead of typing, even if I type much faster.

17. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User Contributor

I use Pentech Graphgear 1000 and Alvin Draftmatics pencils (both in the .03 variety) for my school work, wonderful pencils.

18. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

Being left handed I hate writing. Everything just smears so I have to turn the page completely sideways to avoid that. When I get into an intense writing session I get major hand cramps too. I think I push down too hard. :lol:

19. Grand Moff Tim

Grand Moff Tim Some call me... Tim

Perhaps you should switch to Arabic, so you can write from right to left!

20. flint757

flint757 SS.org Regular

:idea:

:lol: