Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Movies, Books, TV & Media' started by Emperor Guillotine, Jan 8, 2015.

1. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

Excellent ending to a fantastically written show.

2. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

^Yeah, but it sucks that it had to end. Not saying that every show needs 7-10 seasons, but it feels like another one of those shows that abruptly 'died young' with a lot more stories to tell. Then again, Showtime was running so many promos for their other shows that the penultimate PD episode started late and it all looks like garbage- if they decided to pull the plug, they're idiots.

3. steinmetzify

Agreed. So much crap on television, and you finally get something that's well written with actors that are just awesome, and it dies because no one watches it.

Man, Timothy Dalton just killed it in this series. Dude was pure class the entire time.

4. Reverend Chug

Reverend Chug But It's A Dry Chug

^ I agree 100%! Amazing show! And my mind is blown that it just ended! :eek::eek::eek: No warning or anything! Even the episodes description says "season finale," not "series finale!"

I wonder if they are going to continue the series, but with different actors, characters and storylines?

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I loved the show, thought it was fantastic, but sorry... that ending sucked big time. My wife thought so too. So much slow boring talk that we fell asleep and had to go back to it then the ending was so weak. I think they could've did better, and I would've loved it if Frankenstein (monster) walked out (you know what I'm referring to) and met them in the street and joined them. He would've been formidable.

Rev.

6. steinmetzify

Nope, it's done. John Logan basically thought this up as a 3 season story and now its done.

7. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

After my prior remarks I found out that he said that and, frankly, I don't believe it. IIRC he still has some sort of deal with Showtime and obviously he wasn't going to say that the channel killed the show. It immediately brought to mind The Knick, another expensive, awesome though not big-on-ratings show that went through so much painstaking detail and plot development only to have it all end weirdly and abruptly with a that was the plan all along excuse. As Sir Malcolm would exclaim, "Chicanery!"

I mean, if that were truly the intent, then some of the decisions made just don't sit well after further thought. I liked how this season took its time getting all of the plots aligned- I thought that was the luxury of world-building and not burning plot.
    It then makes no sense sending Lyle away- for an obvious mummy plot down the line- only to replace him with that sassy redhead who was wasted on two minutes of exposition and another two of fighting. Dr. Jekyll is brought on just to putter around the perimeter of Dr. Frankenstein's lovesick dilemma. Dracula is an established Big Bad- he escapes and at the end, but Ethan and Malcolm seem disinterested in hunting him down? Also, it always seemed that the fact that Frankenstein resurrecting Brona was destined to be a bomb waiting to go off between he and Ethan at a later time.
    Obviously, it's silly to expect every single thread to be tied-up, but there are just too many left hanging to believe that it was totally purposeful.

8. Emperor Guillotine

Emperor Guillotine The Almighty Ruler

Coming back to this, I feel as though it would be appropriate for me to leave a comment to close out the thread since the show is over.

The unanimous opinion of the Internet is that the ending of the show was a complete disappointment. It was obviously rushed with very poor direction, and I don't think it was meant to end like that, especially with so much potential and so many sloppy loose ends. The ending was a total slap in the face to the show's viewers. Thanks, John Logan and Showtime, for ruining an amazing show that so many viewers enjoyed.