Pegasus/Sentient wiring issue

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Mars_Br, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Mars_Br

Mars_Br SS.org Regular

I had a big disappointment recently when I changed my Ibanez RG721 stock pickups with Sentient and Pegasus.

At start it felt less dynamic, and the 2 pickups sounded almost the same. After I've checked in my DAW, the output is almost equivalent as my Strat Single coil and my other guitar with a Seymour Duncan TB6 is 10db louder (I've got -18db rms with the Pegasus/Strat Single coil and -8db with the TB6 when I pick with the same strength and same configuration - not exact science I know, but still it proves there's an issue).

I think this diagram is the one that should be followed (but I may be wrong) : https://www.seymourduncan.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/2H_5WSPL_1V_1T.jpg

And here is what I've got :
    RG721.jpg
    What seems strange to me, is that red and white from both pickups are soldered at the exact same place, and I cannot find a diagram which may explain that.

The guitar is definitely going back to the luthier, but I'm no expert, and I wanted your opinion about that before explaining myself to the guy :) And I wanted to give him some good arguments !

2. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

I am not sure how your switch is wired, but both red & white from both pickups to the same place is wrong. You might be grounding out one coil from each humbucker...can you test it with a small screwdriver tapping on the poles?

Mars_Br likes this.
  3. Mars_Br

Mars_Br SS.org Regular

I should have done that test first !
    Thank you, it just confirmed what I thought, Pegasus is wired as a single coil !?! And the other positions are combining both pickups, I don't what they wanted to do, but it's just totally wrong.
    At least, I'll know how to explain it properly :)