Pegasus 8 string in mahogany?

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by greatusername, May 30, 2016.

1. greatusername

greatusername SS.org Regular

I purchased a used agile a couple months ago and am tinking about changing the pups. The emg (because it's the one pickup version) that it comes stock with is ok for clean but becomes muddy with distortion. I think I will be going for the pegasus because it seems to fit my needs and it comes in soapbar version, but I read some things that were saying that it becomes muddy in a mahogany. Do any of you have this pickup in a mahogany guitar or in this particular guitar?

2. BigViolin

BigViolin SS.org Regular

Which model, scale length?

I don't find the pegasus to be a muddy pickup at all. I would look at other factors if muddiness was encountered with that pup, i.e. scale length, string gauge, eq etc.

3. greatusername

It's the intrepid pro 828 so it's a 28.625 inch scale lelengt and I am curently using 10-74 but I will be putting 9-80 on it. From the demos I've listen to, it's definitly not muddy but I read the opposite so I was just wondering.

4. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I really like the Pegasus and have a hard time imagining how it would be muddy. Its lows are very tight and controlled, even on the lowest strings.

5. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

If that's a concern, go with the Nazgul, the least "muddy" of all SD pups. Of course the shear brightness may turn you off, but it allows you to scoop a bit and still have massive attack. Also, you may want to try changing the electronics in that Agile, they use some pretty cheap stuff, and a lower value tone cap if tone pot is used.

6. Casper777

Casper777 Slow Player

The Pegasus is not a muddy pickups, but it's not a very bright one either. I would tend to think it would not be the most appropriate for mahogany.

A Nazgul or a Distortion would be better

7. greatusername

The fact that the pegasus is a lower output pickup than the nazgul attracted me. I don't really like the sound of the distortion and the very high output of the nazgul scares me a bit , I often do big dissonant chords on distortion and the pegasus seems to get it very well. I plan on putting a split coil too so is it a splittable pickup? I just don't want it to be super dark , so what do you think?

8. vick1000

vick1000 SS.org Regular

If you use a Nazgul, ust back off the boost or gain a bit, problem solved.

9. greatusername

I forgot to mention that it is a maple fretboard and a maple/walnut neck ( it is a neckthrough ).

10. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

I have a Pegasus in my 7, mahogany body, maple top, rosewood neck and fretboard. No mud at all, it's very clear and versatile. And yes, it is splittable, although I'd recommend looking into parallel wiring instead of splitting it, so it remains hum-cancelling :2c:

11. greatusername

Thanks for the feedback , I'll check the parallel thing but is it longer to wire than a coil split (I'll let do it for me so the time is a factor too ;) )

12. AliceLG

AliceLG \m/^_^\m/

It should take the same, it's just soldreing the wires in a different way on the switch or push-pull pot.

EDIT: check out here http://www.1728.org/guitar.htm
    It's a lot of info but it has diagrams for wiring in series, split and parallel. It also explains how humbuckers work internally so one can do more interesting wirings.

13. noise in my mind

noise in my mind SS.org Regular

The pagasus is very similar to the lundgren m7 (well known clear high gain pickups). The m7 seems to have a slight low end bump compared to the pegasus. I own both and find them to be some the clearest pickups I have played for high gain. Who is saying the pegasus is muddy? I just find this hard to believe....