Peavey xxl 2x12 vs 4x12 ms

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by accidental, Jul 14, 2016.

1. accidental

accidental SS.org Regular

I'm torn between these two cabinets at my local guitar center. The 412ms has sheffield 1290s in it, which I haven't heard the best things about, and the xxl has blue marvels, and would be much easier to haul around. I play mostly metal and am looking for a tight sound with good bass response. This will be paired with a 6505 mh and a Bugera 6262.

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Neither, TBH.

I did the same thing and tried to get something "Good enough".

Save up for something good like a Mesa 2x12.

3. accidental

As much as I would like to buy a mesa, orange, or even an avatar cab, I'm 16 and have to buy a car and pay for insurance on minimum wage, so I can't make large investments like that. Both cabinets are $100 so It would just be something until I can afford something better.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Out of those two I would go with the 2 X 12. There is nothing wrong with the construction of Peavey cabinets -- the less than stellar reviews can always be attributed to the speakers, which really let them down (especially Sheffields; they're terrible).

I've heard some say the Blue Marvels are half-decent; probably much better than the Sheffields. But the idea I had was that you could eventually save $70 or so and upgrade one of them to an Eminence Governor or WGS Veteran 30. Both of those models are based on the Celestion Vintage 30, which is the standard for metal. Governors are a little more expensive ($90 retail), but occasionally you can find them on Ebay for $70 shipped in the U.S. I bought one that was an OEM speaker out of some cab -- it wasn't painted red, but it is definitely just like my other Governor. Anyway, they're killer speakers. I've heard that the Vet 30 from WGS is also a great speaker. Basically, they have a truckload of mids and tight, percussive lows. Highs are present but rolled off so they're not piercing. A lot of people say they sound better than actual Vintage 30s because they're not so "mid-spikey."

The only thing to worry about when mixing/matching speakers is whether their efficiencies are close to the same. Not all speakers are equal. Actually, scratch my idea. I just looked up the efficiency of the Blue Marvel -- it rates at around 96 db. An Eminence Governor rates at 103db and I can verify they're loud as F---. You wouldn't be able to hear the BM next to a Gov, haha. Better to replace them both, haha.

Anyway, I'd go for the 2 X 12. It might sound just fine as-is. And when you get some money it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to upgrade both speakers.

5. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I had that 4x12 cabinet for a few years. The speakers are reminicent of GT12-75s celestions. They have a mid cut and lots of bass/presence. It may work great with your amp if you like celestion 75s. Metal grill is tough. Peavey speakers are good but most people who buy them have no idea what they are doing so they upgrade as soon as they can.

IDK why people hate on this cabinet. It also is stereo operation so you can run it with 2 cones.

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

^^I beg to differ. At least the Sheffield that came with my 6505+ 112 is total crap. I used it for over a year at all volume levels; didn't bother me that much, but I finally decided to try an Eminence Governor. After a lengthy break-in period, the Governor wipes the floor with the Sheffield. I can't even stand the sound of the Sheffield now, as I still have it in a 1 X 12 cab. I plugged into it with my 6505 again a while back and came to the same conclusion -- "yep, still sounds like dog sh---."

7. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

wait and spend a bit more and get a JSX cab. 4x12 JSX get sold for 200. They have nicer speakers in them compared to the other Peavey cabs.

8. accidental

This is what I think I'll do. I'll buy the 2x12 and eventually replace the speakers for a pair of wgs veterans. Too bad I can't find any used avatar contemporaries. Anyways, thanks everyone.

9. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Infidel

I understand the money situation, but you'll be effectively neutering your amp with either of those.

Be patient and save up for a while. Get something decent. Getting something cheap now, and buying something better later, you'll end up spending more.

Buy once, cry once.

10. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

I am willing to be that the 6505 Peavey speaker is "inspired by" a model of Celestion, that if you played it, wouldn't like either.

Alot of people absolutely hate 75 Watt Celestions, that doesnt mean its a bad speaker. But it has enough street cred that people wont bash it as garbage.

I personally dislike the Celestion Vintage 30, but most ppl love those.

My favorite Peavey Speakers are the XXX and JSX. I have both, they are almost identical. The XXX is sharper and clearer on top, and the JSX has a top end smear that reminds me of a greenback. Both have a very forward presentation like a Celstion 70 80.

Never tried the 6505 speaker cab, but Peavey knows what they are doing.

Edit: I stand corrcted. I looked into this and there are USA made 6505 sheffields, Chinese made 6505 sheffields in some lower end cabs, and now they are using Vintage 30s in their USA cabs. Maybe you had a chinese model. Those 412ms cabs are 20 years old back when everything Peavey was still USA made.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

As a previous owner of the 412MS, I hated the speakers. They sound like T75s, but seems more lifeless and brittle to me.

The 6505 speakers are supposedly based on Greenbacks with a ton more headroom. Love the Greenbacks, but hate the 6505 speakers. Sound very muffled.

Another thing I've noticed from Sheffield speakers is they tend to have a VERY annoying extreme high end. A fizz that's a bitch to get rid of.