Peavey Quality

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by DanMapleSH, Jan 11, 2019.

1. DanMapleSH

DanMapleSH SS.org Regular

I was interested in possibly buying a Peavey 6505+ 112 combo, and a Peavey Raptor at some point. However, I was told that Peavey's quality went down after they shifted all production overseas. Does anyone know if this is true or has experienced this?

2. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Do they even still make raptors? Old usa ones are cheap as chips.

I think the 112's are different than everything else. The old 212s were literally the heads rammed into combo chassis.

3. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

A friend of mine had the 1x12 6505+ combo. The led logo went out after a year or so and a couple of the stock preamp tubes were noisy, but the amp itself and the enclosure were solid. It's a slightly different circuit and fx loop than the head version, but it's still distinctly 5150 :yesway:

I probably wouldn't pay more than $350 for one used, maybe $400 with speaker/tube upgrades. Much more than that and you might as well hold out for a used USA made head version and a decent cab :2c:

4. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

That's true minus some value changes in the bias circuit - the combos are by default biased considerably hotter than the heads.

The 112 IS different, however - it uses a split load phase inverter which is a really bizarre choice for a preamp-centric high gain amp as they don't have much headroom at all.

Anyway - Chinese Peavey is equivalent to US, which is to say "pretty okay". Not great, not bad, but just okay. PCBs are kinda junky quality but they're put together reasonably well.

5. LiveOVErdrive

LiveOVErdrive CNC hack

I have the 112.

It sounds monstrous.

The effects loop is garbage, but moddable. It gives off weird quiet squealing noises sometimes that go away if I hit the amp. Even after changing preamp tubes.

Definitely worth the 200-300 USD you can find them for used.

6. oneblackened

oneblackened Doesn't Actually Play a Seven String

I'd like to note that the 1x12 combo has a very different design of power amp which is why it sounds different from the heads and the 2x12 combo. It uses a split-load or "cathodyne" phase inverter, which is more common in old school Tweed era Fenders than the long tail pair phase inverter that the heads and most high power amps use.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  7. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

FWIW, I think the biggest tonal difference between the 112 comes from two things:

1. It’s a 1x12 combo instead of sitting on top of a bigger volume 2x12 or 4 x 12.

2. Its effects loop indeed sucks, but is fixable in about 10 minutes and costs pocket change.

Once you fix those things it sounds very similar. I turned mine into a head and modded the lead channel to have OG 5150 specs and it was nearly indistinguishable from my 6505 head, even cranked.

With the effects loop mod and a bigger cab it is a ferocious monster that can even put far more expensive amps to shame.

Quality wasn’t quite as good as my U.S. made 6505 but it served me well for about 8 years. Had to let it go for a new guitar...

AkiraSpectrum likes this.