Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

So I may or may not have just picked up a block letter to have something to compare it with. :nuts::lol:

2. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Clips!

3. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

Peavey’s since the Ultras are pretty comparative...all are tight, all will “djent” and the differences are subtle tone wise. If the Invective is based of the 5150, then it’s gonna be like every other Peavey “vs” scenario...so close it’ll always be a toss up to preference. The features (boost, gate) on the invective are cool, if you want that stuff “built in”, then get it....after dozens of Peavey heads I still have an Ultra plus, XXX, and 2-3120’s and it’s absolutely apples to apples when it comes to gain structure and tightness. You can’t go wrong with any of them, the features set them apart but you’re gonna find the same high gain, core tone in any of them

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Mostly I agree-- but, I notice a pretty big difference between my 6505 and my 6505+. Yes, they're in the same ballpark voice-wise, but I personally prefer the looser/slightly saggier and overall more ballsy 6505 mk 1. For me, there's a big enough difference to go with one over the other, depending on what you want.

The real draw of the Invective, for me, is the addition of not just a usable dedicated clean channel, but an excellent one. And you still get to keep your br00telz. :mf666:

NateFalcon and Deadpool_25 like this.
  5. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

post some clips dude

6. Deadpool_25

Yeah, yeah. I may finally break down and do a couple of short clips. No guarantees, but we will see in the next few days.

In general the Invective definitely seems seems very, very similar to the 5150 tonewise. However to get them sounding similar it takes balancing the channel post gain with the master volume. With the post gain low and master volume cranked the Invective seems brighter. With the post volume cranked and the master low, you lose a lot of high end brightness. It’s actually pretty cool because you can fine tune it, maybe for a certain guitar or whatever, in a way you can’t with the 5150.

Keep in mind that’s an initial impression and my Invective has that one preamp tube swapped out right now. I’ll swap the original tube in later to compare and see about a clip or two.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    0rimus, NateFalcon and bsshiver like this.
  7. NateFalcon

NateFalcon SS.org Regular

I’m still interested to see where it “sits” with other Peaveys in side-by-sides, though. I just think they hit a ceiling in high gain amps years ago, that’s why you’re seeing more modded “derivatives” of high gain circuits (Fortin maxwatt, and pumpkin...tighter Recto clones etc) now...goes to show the 5150 is still a legendary base tone for metal. It’s hard to find a “unique” tone by plugging straight into anything...I tried that with Bogners, Peters and Diezels just to find out I had wasted money (for me) chasing a new tone that never gelled with me like a 5150 does...I’m sure the Invective gives that same feeling, just with more features and flexibility

8. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

How's the Invective in bedroom volumes? Is the master volume as responsive as your Triple Crown?

9. Deadpool_25

They are both excellent at bedroom volumes. They both work very similarly having master volumes, individual channel volumes, individual channel gains, and a master/solo boost function. All together that makes them exceptionally controllable at low volumes.

10. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Anyone knows if they are planning on a smaller low watt model? Would be awesome with something around 25w in a much smaller form factor, just overall much more suitable for gigging or take with you to a friend.

Threeve likes this.
  11. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

Lower wattage, maybe just clean and lead channels, one loop, smaller footswitch and the right size to fit on a vertical 212 would be pretty killer. But really the full size head needs to get into full swing first.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  12. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Yupp, something along the lines of a EVH 5153 50w but separate EQ for the channels and only two channels and also even lower wattage. Maybe even make it a rack unit like the IronHeart Studio.

13. Deadpool_25

Clean and crunch is all you need if it has as much gain as the 120. The crunch channel has enough gain to cover both crunch and lead sounds. Especially if you keep the master boost function.

Edit: then again, no I guess it would need to be clean and lead on this amp, but hopefully they reduce the gain a bit on the lead channel because it has so much from the factory it gets a bit nuts over about 11 or 12 o'clock.

14. Threeve

Threeve SS.org Regular

Anyone have the 412 yet?

15. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

just scoeed a focusrite 2pre usb..i i wi try to post some clips from the invective in the coming days...btw its a monster amp.

Deadpool_25 and KailM like this.
  16. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Availability date pushed back yet again through guitar center

17. Unslaved

Unslaved SS.org Regular

Im convinced Deadpool is the only person in the world who has one of these. Lol!

Deadpool_25 and mikah912 like this.
  18. Werecow

Werecow SS.org Regular

No sign of a single one getting to the UK yet. I was going to get one but they've taken so long i've ended up being tempted by and getting an EVH 5150 Stealth instead.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  19. Deadpool_25

Unless I just photoshopped it into a pic of my house...

Edit: And tonight I’m playing it pretty loud through a Riverside into the clean channel. The clean channel is all set on noon. The Riverside is:
    High gain
    Mid push
    Presence +
    Drive: noon
    B: 2:30
    M: 11:30
    T: 5:00 (dimed)
    Level :1:30

And I’m liking it more than the Invective’s channel 2 or 3. At least tonight. I don’t think you’re supposed to be able to dial in that much high end and still have a usable tone. Interesting. There’s a mid “honk” to the Invective that I’m not jiving with right now. I’m guessing I could dial it out if I put my EQ back in the loop, but I’m too lazy for that. /shrug

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    Unslaved likes this.
  20. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I'd really love an Invective, but I've contacted several stores around the UK who have listings about any info on stock and none of them know anything. I'm considering saving up for the Maxwatt Fortin to fulfill my "straight-in, tight metal tone" quest. It'll cost £700 more than an Invective, but at least I know there'll be some in the country.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
    mnemonic, TheRileyOBrien and lewis like this.