Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Fear Factory 'Soul of a New Machine' guitar sound is a pretty good baseline or starting point for the general metal tones I like.

Mike Fortin knows what's up.

I had a Friedman amp... It was ok.

When I had a Kemper, the Mesa Mark III and Engl Savage preamp profiles were incredible for me.

On the other hand, the first Periphery album had great guitar tracks too, so....

USMarine75 likes this.
  2. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

People dont know how to adjust their gain then, at some point you need to back off, only a big mess is then heard. A more linear taper on the gain pot would provide far greater versatility and lots of in between tones. Not everybody likes massive amounts of gain to the point of absurd.

Who will use the gain at 3 o'clock on the Invective?????

Now i am not an electrical engineer and don't know how the internals interact with each other, but if this is the only way to acheive the tone of the Invective, then ok. But if not, it wouldl a big plus to have that gain knob more usable.

I have many other high gain amps and the gain levels are much more controllable. I heard talk of Friedman earlier in the thread, i have a modded BE100( for less gain!!!! Lol) and it can get super heavy with the Precision Drive and is clearer in the gain than the Invective. But i really enjoy the Peavey man, a really well thought out amp. ( Except for the amount of gain :shrug:)

But hey, that's just me.

3. Palmer6strings

Palmer6strings SS.org Regular

This was pretty funny.

One of my problems even with the master boost on was that I had to have everything pertaining to raise volume practically maxed for just practice and I don’t like that because I don’t feel it leaves me enough headroom in case if I need it louder yet.
    Some venues I’ve played at don’t mix guitars through a PA because well... I don’t know... they are dicks who usually work with dicks that always play too loud? Just a guess.

But I’m hoping that was just a problem that my Invective had that caused it to break down.

4. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

I'm sorry all you guys are having problems.

There are a number of things that could be causing the delays/issues that may be beyond Peavey's control. I wouldn't blame anyone for this. Sometimes problems arise; at least they are attempting to keep it price competitive and built in the USA.

There could be delays in receiving the parts they need from suppliers.

They could be having labor issues, workers may have sought employment elsewhere and they struggle to keep up with demand. Or they possibly needed to fire workers. (As everyone probably knows by now, Peavey was on Undercover Boss and it was a very unflattering view of their management and current culture.)

Defective parts from supplier causing issues.

Design or manufacturing flaws caused them to scale back production until they solve the issues.

My guess is probably a combination of the above. Something like an amp release is a "long game"; these will be on the market a long time. At some point PV will probably move manufacturing overseas and lower the price.

5. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

They could very well be moving right now as we speak

6. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

On my 515 50w head, I slapped a 12au7 in a red channel slot and it delivered just this^
    Previously, 9 -10 o'clock was the most you could dial. With the au7, I can now get similar tones but have a wider sweep. 12- 2oclock is where it usually is but almost every setting is usable now.

7. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

That seems cool, but does 12au7 deliver the same aggressive character? Tried it once in my 5153 and it became stale, did not have that aggressive bark, crunchy gut stab.

Might be different in the Invective.

Might try that as i have a 12au7 laying around somewhere.

8. crankyrayhanky

Yes it worked really well for me, I also swapped a few other tubes too
    My 50w is Kruse mode to stealth specs

9. crankyrayhanky

FWIW....Here's my notes from the day I was tube rolling Nov 2016 viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183631&p=2051187&hilit=12au7#p2051187

It is said that Howard recommended 12au7 in V2 & V3 to reduce red channel gain.
    Really cool! With gain on full it was less than the blue, so that wouldn't work for me but would likely be cool for less gain freaks.

I then tried
    V2: LPS
    V3: JJ 12au7

Now this ^was very close to what I wanted, but still just a bit more tame than I wanted. I imagine many players would love this though

I flipped it and found the magic:
    V2: 12au7
    V3: LPS

This was awesome! It retains most of the ferocious girth and power but allows full use of the gain- cool tones from 9oclock to maxxed. I tried the original 12ax7 in V3 but that brought back some extra noise, so back to the LPS

I have the LPS in V5 and the rest stock

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

This is cool info and inspired me to try a few tubes in an attempt to tame the gain a bit. I have a couple of 12AU7s and a couple LPSs on the way.

The Invective’s tube layout, according to the manual, is:

V1 = Crunch/Lead stages 1/2
    V2 = Crunch/Lead stages 3/4
    V3 = Loop driver/PI driver
    V4 = Phase Inverter
    V5 = Crunch/Lead stages 5/6
    V6 = Clean channel

So I’m thinking I might try 12AU7s in V2 & V5, then 12AU7 and LPS combo in those slots.

crankyrayhanky and beavis2306 like this.
  11. beavis2306

beavis2306 Lusts for gear

What's the latest date for more of these things to hit the streets? Still nothing at all in oz.

12. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

I have the head and cab on order from guitar center, and they are expecting to ship January 5th.

beavis2306 likes this.
  13. bluffalo

bluffalo SS.org Regular

John fields said a little while ago that it's a different production run for Australia that hadn't started yet.

Vyn and beavis2306 like this.
  14. teqnick

teqnick The only person that liked the new Faceless album

Waiting to hear more on ship/stock dates.May trade in the ol 5153 for the invective, as it seems to have that extra im looking for.

15. Unleash The Fury

I asked my guitar center today if they were to be getting any Peavey Invectives. They had no idea what a Peavey Invective was.

16. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

That sounds about right :lol:

rexbinary and Paul McAleer like this.
  17. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Ha, well they are probably going out of business -- maybe they stopped caring about upcoming products haha

Paul McAleer likes this.
  18. Unleash The Fury

Who Guitar Center or Peavey?

19. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Guitar Center. There's a thread on here about it and their recent investment downgrading.

20. Unleash The Fury

I know i was joking