Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Who is going to pick that over their favorite drive pedal? I guess that’s a valid question but why doesn’t it apply to any amp? You either like the way an amp sounds better than you like a particular pedal or you don’t. And if you don’t, you keep using the pedal. I don’t know how the drive boost is designed but with it engaged the amp still feels like an amp to me.

And I’m not sure I understand your second question. You can’t make the crunch channel high gain with its boost. The drive boost on the clean channel and the OD-style boost on the crunch/lead channels are completely different. The boost on channel 1 has a drive control that affects actual distortion. The boost on channels 2/3 has a level control but no drive/gain control; it’s like a TS-style boost with the gain control hardwired off.

GoldDragon likes this.
  2. Lethalharmonic

Lethalharmonic SS.org Regular

Any update on getting these pictures to confirm the Invective being "Assembled" in USA at the Meridian Plant??

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Who cares where they're made if the success rate is only 75%! :D

j/k, by all means these seem like simple fixes.

4. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

Jammed last night with the band at high volume and i still have feedback problems, the gate shuts but i have a little squeal just before, and if i sustain a chord, it goes into unwanted not pleasant feedback, quite annoying. And that is with the gain at 9 o clock, it's getting to the point of not enough gain. Even the crunch feedbacks at 10 on the gain.

I am thinking i might have a faulty pre tube. Sucks.

5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Interesting. Does make me wonder about having so much gain on the amp. Still, I don’t remember any mention in any of the videos so far about feedback issues and some of those had the gain set higher than you. Misha had it set about the same in the The Way The News Goes video and it seemed okay there. Merrow had it set higher I think. Wonder how that was.

Settings? Master boost on? Drive boost on? Where are you standing in relation to the amp?

Didn’t you swap out tubes? May be unrelated but have you tried swapping the original tubes out to see if it’s any different?

Edit: just remembered Misha used a piece of tape on the strings in the video I mentioned didn’t he? Hmmm. Idk

6. 7 Stringer

I have 6550 power tubes, but the pre amps are the same, even if i move around, i get feedback. Even on the crunch, volume pot lowered to about less than half, if i sustain a note, lets say to try to tune, i get feedback instantly, within two seconds. It really bothers me.

I am going to pick up the amp at the drummers place Wedensday and will go over it here at home.

As far as settings go, bass around 11, mids 1 and highs around 1 or 2. Drive boost 11, no master boost. Gain lime i mentioned is around 9 ish, 10. This is all in o clock.

I am even starting to want to bring back my 5153, and setup a basic WDW setup with a stereo 2x12 for my effects.

Confused.....

7. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Your feedback issue sounds like poor potting/microphonics in your pickups (unless they're active, then NVM).

8. 7 Stringer

Well it does it with all my guitars, two with Suhr Aldrich pickups and two other ones with Tom Anderson H3+ and an HN3.

I dont think it is pickup related, but...... Never know.

I just picked up the amp, will fiddle with it.

9. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

Such an entertaining thread to read.

This amp sounds killer on the videos and I would not mind giving one a go. I will say that it sucks some people are having issues with their amps.

I personally think that is crappy. I am not sure why that happens, weather the product was rushed or not built with care or not I am unsure. But I do think it was announced way too early. To be honest, right now or maybe last month would have been a better time to announce. It took forever to ship one and a lot of the buzz seemed to have died and now some of the people who did manage to get one have issues? Crap.

However that is not Misha's fault or the Peavey Rep's either. Just poor judgement from whoever is in charge at peavey most likely.

Is what it is. Still probably a killer amp but nobody should have issues on their brand new $1,900 amp. But hey I guess according to a lot of people here people are just expecting WAY too much from their new gear lol.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  10. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Although I don't approve of the constant ballwashing that Deadpool is giving Misha and the amp in defense of any flaws, this is not a case of people expecting too much.

And that thread about the guitars was totally valid, but an amp is a totally different animal than a guitar in terms of what is acceptable in terms of quality issues. But lets not get down this road. Had they leaked the amp now for NAAM this year and then instantly started filling orders this would have been a game changer of an amp and had huge buzz and momentum.

I'm sure with the feature set it will still get a big share of the metal market, hasn't been many fresh takes in the amp world besides super boutiquey stuff.

cmtd likes this.
  11. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Just skimmed this thread for the first time: Perfect representation of ss.org, including that Deadpool kid actually being 47.

teqnick, sezna and Dineley like this.
  12. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

To be fair, we don't really know how many Invectives are out there in people's hands. Just because they're not posting reviews on SSo_Org, UG, or Youtube doesn't mean people aren't at home playing them and loving them. I, for one, am excited about this amp and hope it does well. God knows Peavey needs this to happen.

Anyway, peace and prosperity; happy holidays to you all. Too much negativity around here these days...:duel:

Blytheryn likes this.
  13. Jacksonluvr636

Jacksonluvr636 SS.org Regular

That’s exactly what I was meaning when I said they announced way too early. Buzz is gone, not to mention the 50w EL34.

I do disagree about the guitars though. A new product is a new product. Amp, guitar, pedal, car, tv, phone, whatever.

14. USMarine75

USMarine75 Doc McStuffins Contributor

Just curious what amps do you prefer for high gain tube amps?

TheRileyOBrien likes this.
  15. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

There is for sure something wrong. There is no way Misha and co. designed an amp to squeal with feedback at 9 o'clock on the gain lmao.

Ahhh, Peavey PR is here to save the day

cmtd, USMarine75 and Dineley like this.
  16. 7 Stringer

I certainly hope so, i will find some time on the week end to swap some pre amp tubes around and try to locate my issue. It sucks cause i really enjoy the tone this thing generates.

It does however have a LOT of gain, i dont get why they cram so much in there, after 1-2 o clock your maxed out anyways, why not make it usable up to max?

17. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

That's more or less how the 5150 circuit is as well. My lead channel gain stays at 9oclock

18. 7 Stringer

Yes, probably why i like the 5152 better a bit than the 5150. Less gain, more upper mid focus and tighter in the bass. Got my gain at 12 on the pre knob.

19. prlgmnr

prlgmnr ...that kind of idea

Because the other way of doing it, people whine that they "had to turn the gain all the way up to get really high gain", either way I don't know why people put so much stock in how far they do or don't have to turn a knob to get the sound they want, provided the sound they want is in there somewhere.

Mike likes this.
  20. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

because man if you don't turn it up all the way you are wasting it.
    like if you buy a tv and don't have the sound up all the way allllll the time. you should have just bought a different tv. right.

Palmer6strings likes this.