Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Slam5150

Slam5150 SS.org Regular

Im actually pulling the plug on waiting for my Invective and getting a Sig-X. Very excited!

cwhitey2 likes this.
  2. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Ok. Well the argument works in my favor in this case in that, the amp in this thread happens to be a 5150 derivitive :)

No not everybody needs gates and boost pedals, but ALOT of people use them. Fwiw i dont play with all the gain either. My amps pregain is at 4 right now, i have my OD level all the way up to tighten it up because thats the sound i prefer and cant seem to get that sound without that boost.

And again, this is a thread about a 5150 style amp; so i think its appropriate that i ask why this amp doesnt have a post gate built into it.

3. Lethalharmonic

Lethalharmonic SS.org Regular

I am almost positive this is NOT the "Inective 2x12" pictured. My cab only has rubber feet on the bottom, as well as the Peavey logo in the upper left and "Invective. 2x12" badge on the lower right.

Page 55 is the original location of this post if anyone else cares to comment on this.

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

4. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I agree, it's an appropriate comment regarding the kinds of amp in question in the thread, I just disagree with the very generalized way it was (and tends to be) stated- I think a lot of metal players assume other people's rigs are really similar to their own more often than is really the case.

I still thinks it's a weird thing to expect of the amp though, unless you also roll a bunch of the other pedals people often use into the amp at the same time. If it's supposed to be a "one amp head to replace the stereotypical use of a 5150-style amp", then it should have the gates in both locations, a tube-screamer style boost built in, as well as a post-gain EQ in place of the pedal people like to put in their loops.

5. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I don't think you will be disappointed!

What cab are you going to use with it?

6. Unleash The Fury

Hey I didnt take it to that extreme, YOU did :lol:. All i wanted was a post gate. I was wrong to generalize, I have zero experience playing with high end equipment, both guitars and amps, so i figured most rigs were noisy like the 5150.

7. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

Realistically, I think it's fair to say lots of amps are noisy in some way, but most aren't "I need two noise gates for this to be manageable" noisy. :lol:

FILTHnFEAR likes this.
  8. Slam5150

Slam5150 SS.org Regular

Unfortunately I still have my EVH 4x12 and am fully aware I’m probably gonna have to get a different cab.

9. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

Well try it first and go from there. I have not tried those speakers so I cannot comment on the sound.

I'm using a Basson 4x12 with Legends and it's awesome! IMO I think you can get away using a non Fryette cab with the sig:x. @Triple7 had/has one incoming and has used one in the past and comment on cabs as well.

10. Lethalharmonic

Lethalharmonic SS.org Regular

Page 53 has my original post and pictures!!

Any word on pictures of Invectives being assembled in the Meridian Plant? Aubrey Fulton (head engineer at Peavey Meridian actually did send me the correct sticker LOL!

Right power amp tube was badly lifted, Found hidden Chassis sticker with MFG date of 7/17 sticker, one over the top had 10/17 date. The true assembly location continues & Delay cause remains a mystery!

1.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg IMG_3689.jpg IMG_3685.jpg IMG_3686.jpg IMG_3687.jpg 4.jpg

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  11. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well that chassis looks nice and shiny.

12. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

On noise: Just did some more testing. I agree there’s enough noise on the lead channel to warrant an extra gate even with lower gain settings. The crunch channel doesn’t really need it, but there is a little hiss that could be removed if you’re getting a gate for the lead channel anyway. I’m going to grab an MXR Smart Gate and see how that is. I really don’t need it personally but...it’s gear. F it.

Edit: Also, the built in gate does kill noise from the guitar, but there is still hiss present at volume. I just checked my TC-50 and it has just as much at similar volume levels.

On volume: If the amp isn’t loud enough for you with post gain and master volume both dialed in high, you can use the master boost to make up that volume. Using that, the amp can get incredibly loud. Like, scary loud. So be careful. If you want to get that volume back but without using the master boost (presumably because you want to use that boost for solos or something) another great option is to put an EQ in the loop. I have an MXR 6-band and it does the job quite well. Again, be careful. The EQ can add more than enough volume. On top of that an EQ in the loop is just an awesome thing to have for tone shaping. Love it.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
  13. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Oh it came in alright!

I don't have a Fryette cab either...I have been using a Vader 4x12 with all things Fryette/VHT, and it sounds amazing. So, if you can get your hands on one of those...you win.

14. Slam5150

Slam5150 SS.org Regular

My sweet water rep just called to tell me that Peavey won’t be getting them their next shipment until the end of December. Fuck you peavey. I cancelled my order and am getting a different amp

15. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

16. Unleash The Fury

And at the end of December they'll say..............

Slam5150 likes this.
  17. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

Peavey Invective 120 for sale: $4500.

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  18. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

Lol, was just kidding.

But it is just a matter of time before it happens.....

19. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

That sucks man. Hopefully you end up with an amp you love.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  20. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Same, I emailed peavey regarding the delay, and was told "the dealer is the only one that can find out the status of the order". I have contacted the dealer multiple times, and they only have the available dates that peavey says they will ship.

I gave it over 6 months of waiting on a pre-order list, and apparently the pre-order means nothing, as other shops are getting them in stock for people to buy. Not sure who or what is to blame, and really don't care at this point.

Cancelled mine today as well.

Unleash The Fury and Slam5150 like this.