Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

A gate is usually given. In the context of metal, if you have a pedalboard, you definitly have a gate pedal in there. Delay, chorus?......... not so necessary.

2. Unleash The Fury

A gate is usually a given. In the context of metal, if you have a pedalboard, you definitly have a gate pedal in there. Delay, chorus?......... not so necessary though. A gate is absolutley necessary. Ask anyone who owns an amplifier

Edit. Double post sorry

3. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Hey, I'm in other threads too!

I don't know, I don't have a gate in my board/rack anymore. Some of my high gain amps have it built in, some just don't require it. Never needed a gate with a Diezel Herbert.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. Unleash The Fury

Fair enough. But do you play live, have band practice, or just play loud in general? Like past volume 2 with high gain? I suppose it depends on the amp and situation, but to me and i think most metal players would agree that a noise gate is essential in any pedalboard

5. Soya

Soya Not a musician Contributor

Egnater Armageddon also had a built in gate, but I think it's a preamp gate too.

6. 7 Stringer

7 Stringer SS.org Regular

It sure is essential with some volume, even a boutique $4000 high gain amp needs one. I lkke to hear nothing when stop playing, not a hiss, not a squeal. Makes for a pro sounding setup.

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, hate that sound!!!!! Lol

Jacksonluvr636 and Stooly like this.
  7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

No, but I don't think this matters as much as genre. If I played djent I would care.

Or if I had a noisy amp like a 5150/triple rec I would care. But I used to play with a ton of gain and an ISP pro-rack G, now I play with less gain and high quality amps and it's just not been much of an issue.

8. Unleash The Fury

I cant afford to ditch my 6505+ and get a boutique amp. Besides i love the sound of it (minus the noise). I was hoping this invective built in gate would take care of that noise but i was ignorant of what its purpose is. So thats why im asking why arent there amps with built in gates with the purpose eliminating all noise, the same way that a gate pedal does.

9. narad

narad SS.org Regular

First thought being, obviously, there are gate pedals.

This is better (economics) for a lot of people: if someone has two amps that they paid $400 more for to include an ISP-style gate in both, they could be $200 better off to have a pedal that is shared between rigs. Pedal/rack gates are almost always considered better gates than built-in ones.

From the amp company perspective, is it worth inflating amp cost by $200 for a feature some won't use, vs. a barebone competitor amp? I mean it's nice if it was in the amp, but not if it makes a competitor's product significantly more affordable. Same reason a lot of effects aren't thrown into amps, like in the smartass comment. Like I'd like an amp with a built in compressor, but I'm not going to pay any more for it really.

10. Unleash The Fury

Well why did you shell out the cash for a Diezel amp when you could have just gotten a used peavey valveking and a ns2 pedal? Both sound great in their own rights.

I think it is worth inflating the price for both users and producers. It is convenience that people pay for. Why do people pay $4 for cheese and garlic bread at a restaurant when you can buy 2 loaves of bread and 4 whole cloves of garlic for the same price and make it yourself and have garlic bread for a whole week? Why do people pay $13 for a plate of spaghetti at olive garden when they can make 3 times the amount of spaghetti at home for $1?

There are plenty of people that would pay the extra price for the convenience of having an amp with true noise removal. (Of course then you could say well why dont they just take that extra money and buy a better amp thats not noisey? Youd have a point there. But the 5150 sound cant be denied

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  11. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

It is clearly NOT worth it for companies to do it because if it was, they’d do it. These are businesses we are talking about.

Gates, like other effects, are personal things. Or can be. My Vypyr has a bunch of built in effects. Those appeal to a certain demographic of amp shoppers...the ones who typically buy affordable practice amps and want an all in one solution. More experienced guitarists typically want to have more say in exactly what their gear consists of.

Wait...why am I even discussing this? Somehow, “why don’t companies build gates into their amps,” became a real question. Like pretty much any other answer when it comes to business...because it’s not profitable.

Now get back to talking about the Invective. :D

12. 7 Stringer

A gate is not really an effect, it is a device made to quiet down hiss and noise generated by a said amplifier. Making a built in gate would make sense, to me, and Joe Satriani, oh and Yngwie, and sell the said amp at no more than any other quality amps on the market.

To me, it would make total sense to have a built in post gate. Hell, they put a pre gate in, why not a post one? Why not try and make an amp dead silent? Lets leave the hiss alone, every other company does......

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  13. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

Now that I've spent some time with Katana, this is actually a valid question. Katana level fx in a quality tube amp- does that even exist?

Diezels are crazy quiet for the high gain they spit out. It's not dead silent like a gate in a loop, but it's remarkably quiet.
    And on my noisier EVH 50w, I just make sure to hit over to the green channel when the song ends and kill the guitar volume.

But yes, a proper gate system is nice!
    I'm glad people are digging on their new Invectives! I can;t join you this round, but maybe one day...

Unleash The Fury likes this.
  14. Unleash The Fury

Absolutely this.

15. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

I love all of this talk about gates :lol:

Since I purchased my sig:x I haven't thought about using a gate and I won't use one live unless it's absolutely needed.

16. 7 Stringer

Had a Sig X, sold it after a couple years, was a hell of an amp and actually very quiet. Only sold it cause i also have an UL and find it more aggressive and tight. Less versatile but more my style.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat though, really enjoyed that amp.

TheWarAgainstTime and cwhitey2 like this.
  17. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Wrong.

If the preamp is designed well, when the guitar volume is rolled off, the hiss stops, just as if the guitar was disconnected.

An input gate *should* completely stop the preamp hiss. If the amp has an input gate and is still hissing, it is coming from somewhere after the preamp.

The JSX built in noise gate was excellent, that amp didnt need another gate pedal. If the invective needs another gate pedal, its worth troubleshooting to see if something is wrong with the amp.

1) Roll off the volume on guitar. Is preamp still hissing?

2) Plug guitar directly to the effect return. Is amp still hissing? (with reverb off)

If it is hissing in either of these scenarios, there is something wrong.

If turning off the guitar volume stops the hissing, but the built in gate does not, there is something wrong with the gate.

Jacksonluvr636 likes this.
  18. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

I feel like this is something that owners of 5150-styled amps assume (and maybe people who don't recognize that metal doesn't mean ALL THE GAIN), but it's not close to true. I've never owned or felt like I needed a gate. None of the people I jam with use gates. And I play high gain, loudly, at shows, jams, etc.- using Randall, Mesa, Traynor, etc. amps. The only time I felt like a gate was needed was when I borrowed a 5150 a couple of times. Noisy and feedbacky as all hell. This isn't a common thing among amps. When you say "ask anyone who owns an amplifier" what you meant to say was "ask anyone who owns a 5150 or derivative." The rest of us are happy with our quiet amps. Same thing goes for boost pedals. Not everyone needs them.

Dineley and Deadpool_25 like this.
  19. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Actually this is wrong.

"Designed well" is really vague and some designs depending on how the stages are biased and input loads etc will just have hiss with high gain. All depends on what you're going for. Could you lower the input resistor and change the gain stage layout / biasing on a 5150 to remove noise? Sure. But it wouldn't sound like a 5150 anymore. There are things you can do like using metal film resistors to lower noise floor, but some designs just have hiss, period.

20. 7 Stringer

How can a gate before the preamp stop the hiss after it?????

Same as a gate before a delay or after. After it cuts the trails, before it does nothing, just as if it was not there.