Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

IMO, there no reason to make a smaller invective. The 6505mh sounds good, but not great. In AB against the real 6505 it doesnt have the punch and aggression.

I wonder if the 60W switch is just disabling two tubes like pulling them physically would? If its some kind of attenuation separate from disabling tubes, it might be possible to remove two tubes and have the amp at 30W? Its fun to speculate.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

This is an interesting thought... if it doesn't do well.

I hadn't even thought about that because Peavey hasn't had a new tube amp design in around 15 years (jsx). I figured people would eat this up. The 6505 is iconic, now made in china, vs a new amp with much better features that is MiA(but not labeled as such) and based on the 6505. Besides the shared EQ, this amp has every feature a gigging guitarist would need from a tube amp.

I don't know anything about who buys tube amps anymore. If the Invective doesn't do well, its because everyone is buying Chinese made amps for the lower price. New players probably want modelers. This is probably going to be the last (sorta) Made in America tube amp Peavey makes. If their design cycle is every 10-15 years, its possible no one will be buying tube amps when the Invective is at the end of its run. Its probably more likely that in the next 2-5 years they will move its production to China.

3. Unleash The Fury

Unleash The Fury SS.org Regular

Thats fine if its the last tube amp they make because they last forever so they will always be bought and sold throughout the world. Its not like they will sieze to exist.

But it does beg the question, when will Peavey introduce their first moder competitive amp modeler pedalboard?

4. Matt08642

Matt08642 SS.org Regular

Or it's because it was announced and then delay after delay happened and people who would love to try it can't in any way shape or form

5. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Delays may affect initial sales if the early interest fades (which it has if this thread is any indication, though I wonder what percentage of preorders actually cancel before it releases). However if the amp is great the delays won’t matter...the price could matter though. The people who only want it if it’s MIA are, I suspect, a tiny minority. My guess is that it would do substantially better if it was made overseas and correspondingly less expensive. That’s assuming a high quality product of course.

I’m wondering if the delays are due to manufacturing problems with the Meridian factory.

6. narad

narad SS.org Regular

^^ I'm one of the MIA guys, though admittedly I guess my gear is fringe in many ways. I mean, it's nice to have some other options -- I've actually wanted a 5150 sound for a while but I don't like a bunch of plastic pieces on an amp. Then you're mostly looking around at like SLOs and cornfords and things for something close, and not even that close.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  7. Deadpool_25

Interesting. Nothing sounds quite like a 5150/6505 to me. Well, the good modelers do but that not what we’re talking about.

I’ve been considering a multi-watt Dual Rec if the Invective doesn’t work out. Those are MIA as much as the Invective is I think, and have a monster metal tone all their own. If I hadn’t been lusting after that unique 5150 tone, I’d probably go that route. The DR + TC-50 would probably be just as awesome as the DR + Invective.

I’ll be running with an FX8, but am still considering the amps with an AX8 instead. That was my initial plan when I sold my AFX: stereo amp setup with AX8 in 4CM. The only additional feature I’d miss out of the Invective is the MIDI control but that could be compensated for pretty easily via relays or a mini amp gizmo. Boosts and gates are on the AX8 (and FX8).

Dual Rec + TC-50 + AX8 + FX8 maybe? Come on Peavey, get that Invective out there! See what you’re making me consider? Lol

8. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

all i know is i preordered the invective back in january...couple more weeks wont kill me

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  9. Deadpool_25

Yeah, it's fine. Sweetwater is saying they think it'll be early November this time. I'm not holding my breath on that as there have been too many pushbacks so far, but who knows. At this point I'm actually pretty patient, but I am curious what is actually causing the delays. /shrug

Slam5150 likes this.
  10. cmtd

cmtd SS.org Regular

Just got off the phone with guitar center....again. Their site has shown the invective as "Available 10-10-17" for a while now, so I have been cautiously optimistic. After a discussion, they informed me that they did not receive the amps today, and stated that Peavey has again pushed the date back to Oct 20th. No word on what the problem is.

This is really becoming a joke at this point. This product was announced almost a year ago. I traded in my amp and to fund this head, and have now been without an amp for 5 months. I think I am gonna give this pre-order until the 20th, and then cancel it. Which sucks, because this amp checks so many boxes of what I would like to have. This isn't Peavey's 1st product launch and the silence, other than the date being pushed back again and again is not acceptable IMO.

Misha, I know you read this thread, no intention of flaming you over this at all. Hope you don't take it personally.

lewis likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

I understand where you're coming from. I have an amp I can use in the meantime, but I did sell some stuff to help fund the Invective. I was planning on no-interest financing through Sweetwater. Now I have the cash in hand to pay it off immediately, so that's a nice little silver lining I guess. However, I've been planning on this TC-50/Invective stereo rig. So with all the delays, it has made me consider a different setup--specifically a Dual Rec with the TC-50. However, I know that while the DR is awesome, I'd get it in and really like it, then when the Invective comes out, I'll wish I had just waited a while longer. So...wait it is for me.
    @cmtd , if you really think you'd love this amp more than others, it may be worth waiting for. Just a thought. :)

12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

So I just got word from Peavey that the first of the amps are shipping out to stores as of today! It's a relatively small batch, but it's a start, and there should be more to follow soon!

13. Deadpool_25

Awesome to hear, Misha! Thanks for the update!

14. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Just got off the horn with sweetwater , they still have not been sent shipping confirmation so eta for them is first week of november. this could change in the next few hours or by tomorrow. lets keep the fibgers crossed. Thanks Misha!

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  15. Panacea224

Panacea224 SS.org Regular

Thanks for the update Misha. So excited to receive mine.

16. Ironbird666

Ironbird666 SS.org Regular

I'm glad to hear they are finally moving to stores! I'll be safe and just assume Sweetwater will start receiving them early November like I was informed. Still, positive news finally.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  17. OliOliver

OliOliver SS.org Regular

I'm looking forward to all the tasty demos that'll keep me occupied until I can remotely afford it, haha

Deadpool_25 and PrestoDone like this.
  18. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

hey misha @bulb , im going to catch you guys in los angeles at the wiltern...what are the chances of getting the back plate signed, assuming i have it by then, by you

19. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

I really hope so. With the massive hype around this amp, I can already see to my own future. Next spring when im ready (which means can afford, student at the moment) to buy one, they're all out of stock. And the next batch goes to whoever ordered months before me, and so on and so on which will eventually result in me buying an amp or something that is actually available.

Im sure the pre-orders for this thing are through the roof, so I really hope Peavey takes this seriously. It is also the most expensive amp they ever made so it's a win win for everyone if they make more.

20. Nitrobattery

Nitrobattery SS.org Regular

FYI, the place that I occasionally do independent contractor work for just got one in stock this morning. I don't get any kickbacks for any sales or anything so I hope this is ok, but their number is 1-877-SOUND-01.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

PrestoDone and Deadpool_25 like this.