Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

If you are covering any AC/DC or rock, you might have to disable your left channel.

2. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Maybe. Then again, maybe not. I’m still guessing the amp will be capable of tones in those neighborhoods with lower gain settings on channel 2 (possibly rolling off guitar’s volume a little, but maybe without needing to) or on channel 1 with higher gain settings.

It’s not like I’d be trying to cop an exact tone of any particular band anyway; I’d be doing covers with my own tone. Otherwise I’d have just kept my Axe FX or bought an AX8 ;) (I have the FX8 now).

As long as the Invective can get in the ballpark of whatever genre I want and do the things I’m particularly interested in very well, I’ll be happy. So far the demos have led me to believe this will be the case.

GoldDragon likes this.
  3. GoldDragon

I'm sure its a fine amp. My long term experience with the XXX and later JSX was that the drive channels already had that "extra" gain stage built in, so even if you lowered the channel gain, and rolled off the volume, the sound never quite went to the middle ground. Neither could you do it by adding gain into the clean channel.

I hope that Peavey realizes that today's amps cover alot of ground, that todays players need them to do many styles.

I think the downfall of the JSX (for me) was that the clean channel always stayed clean no matter how hard you hit it with boost.

IMO, thats a terrible tradeoff; building the channel to stay clean when hit hard with active pickups, but unable to get any in between sounds. What makes it worse is that both the gain channels have the extra drive stage, so you can't get there with those channels either. Do one or the other, but not both.

The solution, imo, is to make the extra gain stage switchable on the rythym channel.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

^^ They have overdrive pedals for that. There's really nothing wrong with a clean that stays clean. I prefer a second channel to have a gain stage or two for light overdriven crunchiness, but really high gain + clean that stays clean is probably a pretty good fit with the JSX target demographic.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  5. Deadpool_25

@bulb said one of the goals was to create a clean channel that fit the rest of the amp. I believe he said that one of the things he doesn't love about most high-gain amps is that when they do have a good clean channel that clean is a crystal clean that doesn't really match the compressed nature of the gain channels. And if what Victor LaRocca said on his video is accurate (and I feel like it is based on what I hear in his video) the clean channel does seem to be somewhat warm and slightly compressed (that clean channel may or may not have been tweaked more since that video though).

For some reason (and this might be completely illogical) this makes me think the clean channel would take pedals fairly well. I guess it's because the HRD is warm and slightly compressed and it takes pedals like a champ. I wonder if LaRocca still has that amp head. He said he likes to play with lots of boosts and stuff so I wonder if he could/would do another video showing some of these things we've been talking about.

6. Deadpool_25

@narad Haha. I just read your sig. "What do we say to the God of Practice?" "Not today!" GoT quote? Syrio?

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Well yea, a GoT reference, but I stole it from a guy on thegearpage ;-)

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. GoldDragon

IDK, I'm a satriani fan and while the noise suppressor, pres and res knobs were great features, it was just a XXX with some minor changes. The "crunch" channel had all the extra gain stages, and when you turned down the gain, it got "farty" like the XXX; never got to a place where dynamics or volume knob changed the level of drive. I kinda expected satriani to put his name on something really versatile. Turns out he was only using the clean channel with all sorts of pedals before going to Marshall.

9. GoldDragon

I dont know who he is but I would watch a linked video. ;)

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  10. GoldDragon

I was trying to find a good authentic low gain drive pedal and I got one of the Tone Bones (it was blue). Had alot of potential, but was a nightmare from a switching standpoint. Going from the kind of clean I like to a gain channel on the jsx always took two foot presses. The amp needs to do this.

Most OD pedals don't do the mildly saturated thing all that well. Its like the saturation is independent of the input gain.

11. Deadpool_25

12. narad

narad SS.org Regular

I mean, it's not as good as an amp that does a good breakup, but there are plenty of good pedals that do a decent job at it. Bogner, leqtique, j rockett, a million thegearpage favs. Some of my favorite bluesy low-gain solo-y tone was a Fender with nice OD pedals. A warmer clean tone usually helps.

But this is all just to say that most JSX owners probably knew pretty well what they were getting into and weren't going to be primarily indie rock / blues players. I mean, it's a sig amp, it kinda doesn't make sense.

13. Deadpool_25

I've found that a lot of good OD pedals (at least the ones I've tried) clean up quite well with the volume knob.

14. GoldDragon

My personal clean tone is fat with a little bit of grit so whenever I switch between clean and gain channels, it takes two pedal presses if the amp's clean can't be set that way. Maybe the invective loops can be assigned by channel which could automatically switch the OD with the clean.

15. Deadpool_25

Ah. Yeah I get you. The loops might work but would be a strange place to put an OD...which is not to say it wouldn’t work

It’s MIDI controllable too so there are a lot of options. I will be using an FX8 so switching channels and activating a pedal will be quite easy. Another option might be one of the Helix or Boss models to allow easier use of a favorite standalone OD.

Regardless, though I’m talking about workarounds, I’m hoping the Invective can do the things you are talking about on its own. If so, the rest is just gravy

GoldDragon likes this.
  16. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

I think you'd like some of the Mark series amps. John Browne has some videos up on the Mesa site and his clean tone is so fat and woody it's unreal like I would kill for a clean tone like that.

GoldDragon likes this.
  17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

is there any plans to do a 50 watt lunchbox version of the amp?

18. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

likely focusing on just getting the amp on the shelves at this point.

Slam5150 and lewis like this.
  19. Deadpool_25

@bulb answered a similar question earlier in the thread (I know it's a long thread). Like @Dineley mentioned, they are focusing on getting this amp out there and will have to see how it does, but Misha said it might be interesting to look at if the 120 does well. What I took from that is that it might get considered if the 120 does well but it's not currently being talked about. So while it might happen, I wouldn't hold my breath. :)

lewis likes this.
  20. Deadpool_25

Also, I'd think a small form-factor version would be in the 15-25w range since the 120 can be switched down to 60w.