Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Guys take a deep breath and chill... 99% of electronics components are not manufactured in the US anymore, period. No tubes used in guitar amps are currently manufactured in the US. Some of you make it sound like Peavey is trying to cheap out using overseas parts, when the reality is this stuff just plain old is not made in the US anymore.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

On top of that, it was only recently made law in California IIRC, which is why the change is so recent.

technomancer likes this.
  3. technomancer

Yep it was in the last year or two... even Friedman amps like the Butterslax say "Hand Wired in Los Angeles, CA" now because of this.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.
  4. HeHasTheJazzHands

I was actually wondering if that was a loophole. I noticed Mesas still say "Hand-Built in California" or whatever.

5. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Can you explain it to me? Why doesn't it say "made in usa"? Because it has many chinese parts? That seems kinda silly.

Does that mean that 6505s made five years ago in MS, would have to be labeled "Designed and Engineered in USA", if it was built the same way today?

What % of parts have to be american to get the "made in usa" title?

IMO, the labor should be the determining factor of where it is made.

6. HeHasTheJazzHands

If it's the same as the 1996 FTC proposal, then 75% of the product has to be made of USA parts.

And by recent, I mean 2015 or 2016. That's right before they moved the production of the 6505/6505+ to China.

7. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

Music man guitars used to have "made in San Luis Obispo, California" on the back of the headstock. Now it says "California heritage since..."

They are still very emphatically American made guitars.

8. technomancer

Yep but under the California law since the basswood may not be US grown, the hardware is likely made by Schaller, etc etc etc they can't say Made in USA

9. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Why exactly are other states held hostage by California laws regarding this matter, anyways? ie, why do Mississippi amp companies and pedal companies from throughout the country held to certain things just because California passes a law? That should be the case for California companies and California companies only.

10. technomancer

Because it applies to all products sold in California and no company wants to either not sell in California or screw around having the increased costs for separate labeling / production / packaging for stuff going to California. Also pretty sure Cali isn't the only state with legislation like this now, but haven't researched it.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  11. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

Yeah it would be nice to hear some more in depth demos of the different channels and how they react using the guitar’s volume knob. I don’t know if you noticed but in the latest video posted where Misha does a lesson on “The Way the News Goes”, he plays the intro riff on the clean channel with the OD engaged. That seems like it’s clos to that edge of break up tone but with a little more gain. I’d think a little less gain on the channel or on the OD would get a nice tone in that ballpark. Can’t wait to find out for sure though.

Ironbird666 and GoldDragon like this.
  12. FitRocker33

FitRocker33 My tone is tighter than my hamstrings

It just occurred to me that if I had a manufacturing stamp on my foot it would read "developed and produced in the US" but seeing as my background isn't Native American I can't claim to be 100 percent American made now can i? Hahah

GoldDragon likes this.
  13. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

I thought American Basswood grew in the USA.

14. technomancer

Some does, a lot also grows in Canada. Or the maple may be imported. Or the rosewood if it is a rosewood board. The point being that if a very high percentage of the product is not produced in the US it can't be sold with the branding. Including raw materials being grown here for things like the wood in guitars.

15. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

Technically they can't either as their ancestors migrated from Asia several thousand years ago.

16. GoldDragon

This is what it comes down to. The reason this is important is because the majority of music from the 70/80/90s uses tones like that.

I'm guessing the high gain channels are like previous peavey amps, with an extra (extras?) gain stage to give it that super-saturated sound. IME, when you lower the gain on a channel like this, they still sound metalish/harsh, unless you reduce treble and presence alot, and its still not the same thing as a channel with less gain stages.

That leaves the clean channel and how it responds to a boost pedal. (?) What peavey did with the XXX/JSX was designed them to stay clean, even with a hot input signal (actives pups) . When you gave them even more boost, they crapped out (clipped). I think a clean channel should respond to input gain in a very gradual way. At first it should get fat and warm, then with a little more gain or picking harder, should start to break up.

It comes down to how they designed the clean channel. Or maybe one the gain channels has less gain stages? TBD.

Very interesting design for sure. They designed it so you can keep your pedals and FX at the amp.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  17. Deadpool_25

It’ll be interesting to see how the clean channel takes various boost pedals. The Sweetwater review said that they designed the clean channel to have a lot of headroom unless you push it hard. I’ll be curious to see/hear how the clean channel sounds with no OD and higher gain settings, with low-gain settings on the onboard OD, and with things like a Sweet Tea or other low/medium gain OD pedals. Or with a Horizon PD. ;)

A the stuff from 70s-90s you mentioned are almost always with non-MV amps right? Might need to get the power tubes cooking to get in those neighborhoods eh?

GoldDragon likes this.
  18. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

yeah good shout.
    Hopefully we see some Friedman BEOD or MXR 5150 pedals into the clean channel demos pop up when the amp drops.

@bulb is that something you could show us?

19. GoldDragon

NO, alot of those amps had master volume. But it doesn't matter these days with the number of reactive load devices on the market, you can crank it!

I always loved the Peavey amps (still do) but they are mostly for metal and great lead sounds. Whenever you try to do something else (like 90% of covers) they only do an "ok" job at best. I sold my JSX when I went through an AC/DC phase and realized it couldn't get a credible low/mid-gain sound. (The intro to Hell's Bells is probably a good test for this.)

Thats why my favorite amp is currently the Laney Ironheart. It does clean with saturation, mild breakup... every level of gain except "molten". Its gain channels seem to have fewer gain stages than a Peavey, so they retain an open character without fizz. If you want super saturated, just add an OD pedal w/ a touch of drive. Its easier to add than it is to take away.

If the Invective can do these low/mid gain sounds, then the midi switching, FX loops and other features make it a no brainer. Otherwise I would be looking at the TC-50.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Deadpool_25 and Dineley like this.
  20. Deadpool_25

I have a TC-50 and it’s awesome. My plan is to run a stereo rig with the TC and the Invective.

Dineley likes this.