Peavey Invective 120 - Misha Mansoor Signature Amp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Takk, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

Anyone know about the availability in Europe? haven't seen any info on this anywhere

2. NickVicious24

NickVicious24 Dutchie

Have seen it pop up on a local music gear webshop. Price seems a bit high compared to the US price if i'm honest though, also says it will be available in about 14 weeks.

[​IMG]

3. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

@bulb dude honest question as Im curious. Tonally, can the Axe FX and the kemper (tweaking a 5150 profile) get close to the tonal sound of this amp?
    Is it just the amps amazing features which sets it apart rather than any differences in sound?

The demo video tonally is what interested me as for my application I dont need its features. Just curious if I could get close to, or exact, to its core tone by just tweaking other amp sounds within modellers/digital.

Thanks man

4. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Drastically different sound? What are you smoking?

5. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

you have misunderstood my comment.
    I mean i.e is it identical to the sound of say a 5150 and its just the features that separate it.
    I was not saying I think it has a drastically different sound, if that makes sense.

6. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

i editted my post to avoid confusion

7. narad

narad SS.org Regular

Does the Axe-FX or Kemper get close enough to the 5150 for you? There's no reason to think that's not also going to be the answer to your question.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  8. Deadpool_25

Deadpool_25 SS.org Regular

I think for this or any other amp in the Axe FX it depends on the context. Are you talking about playing in front of the amp/cab in an unmic'd situation such as at home or a small club with no PA? Or are you talking about recording, or live when playing through a PA?

The Axe FX nails amp tones if you're talking about a recorded or through-PA situation. Even Misha said they have recorded and played live using the AFX into an amp's power section. The number of artists making incredible sounding music with the AFX (and Kemper) should make the answer clear for that context.

However the answer is still debatable when talking about an at-home type situation where you're comparing playing through an amp/cab vs listening to a model/profile. I've tried a couple of configurations (FRFR, SS amp into Mesa cabs) and not been quite as satisfied as through an amp. I haven't tried the Axe through a tube amp power section and I suspect that would be the closest.

9. Petar Bogdanov

Petar Bogdanov SS.org Regular

It's fairly standard, swap dollars for euros and add 20% VAT. Euro prices are always like this.

NickVicious24 and mnemonic like this.
  10. Andromalia

Andromalia Pardon my french

Price is actually decent compared to the margins some other brands take in Europe, as we've become the "milkable" market since the USA are plunging down. Same reason US bands tour Europe non stop.

11. whosdealin

whosdealin SS.org Regular

I was able to get real close with the Kemper but as someone else mentioned above what you are using to amplify the tone will make it sound different unless you are using the poweramp of the 5150 head. That is part of the sum . The Kemper and other modelers get close to the tone of the preamp but they can't do what the power amp does.

12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

As far as the Euro price unfortunately that is one of the downsides of having a US made amp, that's basically the cost of the amp/margin plus shipping, duties and taxes.

As far as the Axefx thing goes, I think I have said this before but I like the Axefx because it does sort of "hyper real" versions of the amps, where they have the character of the amp in question but they are tighter. I actually think the Helix does a good job at realistically emulating a tube amp meaning it showcases the amps rawness, though that's not always desirable.

I consider the Invective to be somewhere in the middle of those, it has the rawness of a real tube amp but is also refined in its design and features to where it has an almost hyper real quality to it just by nature.

Also I haven't messed with the Kemper honestly but I have heard they are great. With that said, when designing the amp I learned just how much of the sound, feel and response of the amp is affected by the power amp and I was shocked. I assumed maybe it only mattered at louder volumes, but it's almost as important as the preamp itself, we spent quite a bit of time on the poweramp aspect alone!

13. Drezik27

Drezik27 SS.org Regular

Since I haven't seen anyone post about the cab...

After about 2 months of breaking it in, I am thoroughly impressed/very pleased. I've run an Axe Fx, Kemper, and a 5150 through it and every rig has sounded fantastic. Cab looks great, sounds great, couldn't ask for anything else.

Personally, I consider this a serious upgrade over my old Marshall cab.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  14. Deadpool_25

I was wondering about this. I'd thought some cabs were supposed to have already been delivered, but then after not hearing any reports I thought maybe that was false. Good to hear. I actually had a custom vertical 2x12 cab built to fit the Invective. It's finger jointed pine ply and has a V30/Creamback combination. Sounds great. I will probably build another one, this time out of solid pine instead of pine plywood.

15. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Thanks for the reply dude.

Appreciate it. Very good way to explain it too as I completely understood that haha.

16. Deadpool_25

Called Sweetwater to check. They said they're due in tomorrow but he didn't see any tracking info to confirm. Hmmmm. I'd like to be cautiously optimistic but I think I'd better stick with hopefully skeptical. :)

PrestoDone likes this.
  17. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Just talked my sales engineer ben... told me 6 shipments of the invective are on tye way due tomorrow.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  18. PrestoDone

PrestoDone Cork Sniffer

Update : got another call in to sweetwater since it looks like guitar center is not going to get the invective.120 till oct 10.(i called gc too ) Sweetwater should only get about 6 amps in tomorrow. lets see what happens. thankfully i am #5 on the list.

Deadpool_25 likes this.
  19. Deadpool_25

Oh wow. Hmmmm. Wonder where I am on the list....

20. Deadpool_25

So I just called and Sean said I'm number.....7! Ack!! That's the bad news.

The good news is that he says it's "6 shipments" and they're actually expecting about 20 units. So who knows. Hopefully I'll make the first batch.

:pray:

Spaced Out Ace likes this.