Peavey 6505 vs 6505+, what's the difference?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by MTGeezy, Sep 6, 2017.

1. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

Can you write or know of a tutorial to perform those mods on my 6505+ finally found clips showing the difference on another site tone wise it's the same but the thump or feel is different very bottom heavy which you could tighten to taste versus being stuck with 6505+ original tightness.

2. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

@amptweaker He might see this and comment. Or you can private message him.

3. Fretwreck

Fretwreck SS.org Regular

Yup. Kick ass head.

4. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Here's the site I used to mod my 6505+ lead channel to original 5150 specs. You'll have to pull up a schematic of the amp to help find the components. It works best to completely remove the PCB from the chassis and solder the components from the bottom, but it can be done by clipping the old components from the top and soldering the new components to the old leads. Beware, there are lethal doses of voltage housed in these things, so be sure you know how to discharge it properly before performing the mods. Since the components are pretty cheap (you'll spend less than $5, you might as well get the best components such as Sprague Orange Drop capacitors. Anyway, here's that site:

http://www.audunmelbye.no/2012/10/10/peavey-5150-6505-series-mods/

You're right about being able to dial back in that tightness. IMO there is such a thing as "too" tight and the looseness of those original 5150 specs is kind of desirable to me. However, with my EQ pedal and cutting some additional bass with my OD pedal I can get the lead channel back to sounding like a 6505+, basically. But I could never get it quite as brutal and thick the other way around before I did the mod, even by cranking the bass and resonance and an EQ pedal.

5. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Absolutely DO NOT clip the old components and solder the new components to the old leads. Either do it right, or don't do it at all.

6. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

While I won't say you aren't right that it's better to do the job properly-- I don't see the problem if you do a clean job. When I did my mod, I clipped the old parts and soldered to the old leads so that I could reverse the mod quickly if I didn't like it. I intended to go back and do it right but never got around to it. Never had a problem with it and that was years ago.

7. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Blames it on "the rain"

I'm definitely in the "pull the board and solder wick the old shit out; and replace" camp. But it's not my amp...
    Chimed in again just to give a tip on draining filter caps: when the amp is on, and standby is off, so the guitar can produce sound; just flip the power switch off without hitting the standby first. This will quickly drain the voltage. Obviously unplug the amp and check everything with a multi meter; but it works quickly and you don't need to make little grounding leads with resistors going one by one.

Spaced Out Ace likes this.