Peavey 6505+ EQ problems

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sethlikespizza, Mar 16, 2014.

1. sethlikespizza

sethlikespizza SS.org Regular

Hello all! I'm having trouble EQ'ing my peavey 6505+, the main problem I have with it is the presence control. When the presence control is on 1-9 the amp sounds muddy/dark but when I put it on 10 the amp is too bright. I see a lot of my favorite bands playing this head and their presence control isn't near 10 and their tone sounds amazing!

I got this head used a year ago and the guy said he changed the tubes about a year before that. He swapped out the stock ruby tubes for JJ preamp tubes and two different sets of GT power tubes (which I thought was kind of strange). So the tubes are about 1-2 years old.

My setup is fairly simple I go from my Ibanez 7 string with emg's into a tc electronic tuner into a Maxon and then a boss NS-2 set up in an x connection between the fx loop and front of the amp. Then the peavey 6505+ goes into an orange 2x12 cab. I usually only run the heads volume knob on 1 or 2 at home and on 4 for gigs. I use all monster cables with the exception of the speaker cable and patch cables for the pedals

So what do you guys think the EQ issue is? Could I have bad tubes, could the head be biased wrong, or is it because I run the amp at a low volume, or could it be something else?

Much thanks everyone!

2. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

JJ's are dark by nature. Start with a retube and get rid of them. Never liked a JJ in any 5150 I have ever owned.

Check the battery in your guitar.

Get the amplifier biased. Power tubes are not hot-swappable.

Call Doug at dougstubes.com and tell him your preamp tube problem. He will set you up.

3. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

I personally liked JJ Preamp Tubes in my 5150 II, because I felt they took away the high end fizz that I didn't care for. They are warmer and not as bright as some tubes, but I didn't have any issues with EQ'ing my amp.

I do find the Orange cabs to be a little more bass heavy than the Mesa cabs I use though. I would make sure you are not cranking your Resonance level up too high. My 5150 settings were usually like Bass: 6.5 Mid: 5.5 Treble: 6 Resonance: Anywhere from 4.5 - 7 depending on guitar and Presence: 6-7

Also, I have never liked the EMG 707 pickups. I find them to be a bit muddy. You might want to try doing the 18 volt mod to your guitar. It's very easy and cheap to do and gives the EMG's a more powerful and brighter tone that cuts through well.

4. newamerikangospel

newamerikangospel Tonight.......you

Where is you cab sitting at? Your amp going through a cab on the floor at ankle level is never going to sound not dark, unless you have a habit of laying on the floor when playing. What speakers are in your 2x12 (orange has non-v30 cabs from what I understand). Also, when comparing settings on an amp with someone else playing doesn't matter. If someone else runs their settings at 1 across the board, and it doesn't sound good for you, the issue isn't your amp, it's just taste. Hearing an amp, and playing and hearing an amp will leave different impacts.

5. sethlikespizza

Thanks for the reply! My battery is good the presence control is actually bright across all my guitars even my 6 string with passive humbuckers. Any suggestions for other preamp/power tubes?

6. sethlikespizza

Thanks for the reply! Very good suggestion!

7. sethlikespizza

Thanks for the reply and advice! My amp sits flat on the floor as it normally would be it's not tilted or anything. It's got V30s!

8. glpg80

glpg80 √εvil

The presence control is just negative feedback from the secondary of the OT into the phase inverter stage. It will be super bright around 9 or so.

My 5150 II gets considerably brighter with V30's and volume. I tend to prefer my presence around either 2 or 5-6.

I still believe you have tube related tonal problems. JMO.

If you're looking for other options, what are the results without pedals in the effects loop or out front?

9. sethlikespizza

The tubes very well could be the problem! When I don't have any pedals the amp is a little louder but I believe the presence acts the same. But like you said I'm sure I would be able to dial back the presence at higher volumes if it does get brighter as you turn it up. Thank you sir!