PC guys: can I swap SATA ports on my motherboard?

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by Santuzzo, Aug 24, 2016.

1. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Hi,

I just had an issue recently with a DVD rom drive that is not recognized by my PC, and when I opened up the case of my PC I noticed something about the SATA ports on my motherboard which led me to open this thread.

I noticed on my motherboard there are two different kinds of SATA ports, one kind is red (there is a total of six of these) and then there are two orange SATA ports and in the manual of my motherboard it says the orange ones are mean t for hard discs and can be used to configure RAID.

I do have two discs in RAID 1 and according to the manual of my motherboard these discs should be connected to these orange SATA ports, which in my case they currently are not.

By the way: the hard drives in RAID 1 set up are just data drives, NOT OS-drives, not sure if that makes a difference, though.

My question to you guys: how do I fix this? My RAID 1 setup seems to be fine, but if these two SATA ports are meant for RAID, I think I should hook up my two RAID 1 discs to them.
    BUT: could swapping the ports my drives are connected to mess up my RAID 1 set up or mess up anything else on my PC? And I mean swapping from a red port to an orange colored one.
    I'm hesitant to try this, because I am cared I could screw things up .....

Thanks,
    Lars

2. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

There shouldn't be any issue with the different color Sata port and a DVD drive. The different colors usually differentiate between Sata 1, 2 or 3 (which are different revisions that offer higher data speed transfer the higher you go. DVD drives don't operate at anything past Sata 1 speeds last I knew. There could be an issue with which Sata port you used. Are you sure the RAID array is working as it should? If the HDD's aren't plugged in by sata, how are they connected? When a RAID array is setup, the ports this drives are connected to should not be changed because it will screw up the array.

3. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!

The RAID discs ARE plugged into SATA ports, but NOT into the two ports that are psecified on the motherboard's manual for RAID drives. That's my concern.
    But yes, the RAID seems to be just fine.
    I installed the Intel Matrix Storage Console which includes RAID drivers I believe, and it tells me the RAID set up is just fine.

4. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

Ok great. The only reason the manufacture specifies those ports is because of the way they set up the RAID controller to work, but since you're using a different one that doesn't matter. You should be just fine to plug in other periphrials into those ports without issue. It may just be an issue with the DVD drive. Maybe the drive itself is bad, or the data cable is bad or even the power cable could be bad. Try switching out different cables to make sure that isn't the issue. Also make sure that the cables are properly seated. Sometimes when space inside the case starts to get cramped, it's hard to properly seat the cable to the port.

5. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks a lot for your help! :yesway:

The DVD drive works in the sense that it's led light comes on and it opens, just it's not recognized by the PC.
    But the DVD rom drive is not really my concern at the moment.
    I will check to swap the SATA cable to see if that helps.

If I swapped the ports in such a way that the RAID drives are connected to the designated RAID ports (even though you said this does not really make a difference), and this would mess up the RAID array like you said, would that be irreversible? Or could I get things back to where they are now just by connecting all the drives back to the SATA ports they are connected to now?

EDIT: another thing that just came to my mind is that at the device manager there was a RAID controller listed with a little yellow question mark. when I click on it it said a driver for this controller is missing, but whenever I tried to install the driver it would not work.

6. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

The pc will see that that drives are no longer there and might "forget" the configuration it had. So when you try to put them back, it may try to set up a whole new array and format the drives.

7. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

ok, thanks!
    Did you see my edit above:

another thing that just came to my mind is that at the device manager there was a RAID controller listed with a little yellow question mark. when I click on it it said a driver for this controller is missing, but whenever I tried to install the driver it would not work. :scratch:

8. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

Oh I'm sorry, I missed that. Yeah that symbol means the driver is missing, however it could hinting at a bigger issue. Did you uninstall that driver or did that just pop up one day? While in the device manager, do you see the other RAID controller? (The one that has your current setup)

9. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

A few months ago I installed a SSD for the OS (Win7), so I had to reinstall Windows7, but I did not change anything about the data drives.
    But after re-installing Windows I first noticed this.

Yes, the other RAID controller is there as well under 'Storage Controllers').
    The one that's missing the driver is listed under 'other devices'.

I attached a pic of it so you can see how they are listed in my device manager.
    [​IMG]

Thanks again for your help!

Attached Files:

10. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

Interesting. Try reinstalling all your drivers (video card, chipset, everything) and manually check for updates from Microsoft

11. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks!

I kinda have the feeling it's the DVD drive connected to the wrong SATA port that's causing this. I will try disconnecting it, then rebooting and see if that RAID controller that's missing a driver is still showing up.

12. Phantom

Phantom SS.org Regular

It could be that the RAID controller thinks there is supposed to be an array set to it but you have it running through the other controller. Check if that is the case because the sata ports shouldn't be a "for one purpose only" thing.

13. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Thanks again.

I just read that part in the manual again, an those orange ports are so called SAS ports (not that I actually know what SAS or SATA is, I just guess it's some kind of connection format).

In the manual it says this:

I don't understand any of this, but to me it sounds like I have everything connected and set up incorrectly ....
    Will I have to re-install Windows?
    How do I find out if my RAID drives are SAS drives?