Pavement: 1, Bostjan: 0

Discussion in 'Lifestyle, Health, Fitness & Food' started by bostjan, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

I lol'd hard at the bubble wrap comment. :lol: What luck you have, Bostjan. :/ Also, nice and seamless necrobump, though it's perhaps best if you hadn't had an actual reason to bump it. :lol:

2. cwhitey2

cwhitey2 BlackendCrust Metal™

:worth:

Hahah just kidding. Get well soon :yesway:

3. Mike

Mike The Traveler Contributor

Get one of these, can't see balance ever being an issue lol.
    [​IMG]

I myself within the last year just switched from riding mountain bikes all my life to a hybrid that's more akin to a road bike. I've almost eaten it pretty bad a few times now when taking on little bumps, curbs, and terrain that a mountain bike would plow over no problem. Maybe you're just more of a mountain bike guy.

4. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

I really hope you'll be ok soon :yesway: :agreed:
    And especially that your hand will be in playing condition again.

Dude, you must learn the art of performing a roll-fall.
    This urban action art stuff of jumping up'n'down'n'across objects, that I can't recall the name of, will teach you.

I've tried a roll-fall from a bicycle myself; scars everywhere, but didn't hit my face.
    I did the roll down on right hand/arm/shoulder and onto left leg, and for years, my light hand had a scar looking pretty much like Texas ;)

So true. At age 20, a car accident flipped the whole front glass onto my face resulting in an elongated scar on my forehead.
    I've seen a couple chicks ask how I got that, and literary get the pain sting in the lower region when I told them it was from a machete cut on a dangerous trip in a jungle :lol:

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Yeah, the original incident in this thread caused me to lose a hunk of my nose, which is pretty noticeable.

What happened to me yesterday is something I can laugh about - it's honestly nothing at all serious.

What I find most odd, though, is ten years ago, riding a road bike on the road and hitting a tiny relief joint in the pavement at 6 mph landed me in the hospital for a few days, broke my arm, took a hunk off my nose, and ripped a hole in my chin, yet yesterday, I'm booking it at about 40 mph and flipped over going downhill on a turn and the only bodily evidence is two small bruises on my legs and a large patch of road rash on my elbow.

6. mrspacecat

mrspacecat SS.org Regular

At least Bostjan didn't get hurt really bad. Get better man! :agreed:

The name of that art is parkour, but I really like your name for it. I might start using it. :lol: (not that it is important at all) To be fair, as someone who practices it, it takes YEARS to be able to do it on pavement pain free. I can only do it sometimes, and I definitely wouldn't do it off of something moving unless I had to lol. The Japanese martial art Aikido also is also similar. It's all about redirection of momentum, and incorporates a lot of rolls too.

7. Alberto7

Alberto7 ΩGJ :3

^ Since we're on the subject, and without wanting to derail this thread, I literally just made this other thread about a couple hours ago looking for beginner advice for parkour and to hear people's experiences with it. :)
    Anybody here practice parkour?

8. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Ouch. :lol: But hey, twice in 9 years isn't THAT bad!

9. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Alway ride bicycles drunk - it's common knowledge that drunk people falls more relaxed.. :spock:

Disclaimer: Don't do this at home, kids. And I didn't do it, it was the one-armed man..
    Empirical evidence: I clearly remember the manager from the local beer depot right next to our house, whom at times left work so drunk he fell with the bike, got wiggled into frame and wheels and couldn't get himself out - but never any damages..

And a sigh: If only I could've had pictures or video of all my accidents.. what a video evening to share with friends.. ;)

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

I've only ridden properly drunk once. Riding was no problem, I could stay on the bike like a champ. The only problem was the ground kept trying to move out from under the bike. :scratch: