Paul Gilbert - I opened for him and...

Discussion in 'Live Performance & Stage Sound' started by Leec, Nov 26, 2008.

1. Regor

Regor Double Edge FTW Contributor

I dunno about that... I've become really good friends with the guys in Manticora, and they're definately heroes of mine. I met Mattias "IA" Eklundh the 2nd year he played ProgPowerUSA, in the lobby of the hotel we both happened to be staying at and he went up to his room to put away his guitars and then came back down and had some beers with myself and my friends. Very cool dude. We just say down and bullshitted and stuff for I dunno, 30-45 mins? Really nice guy. And once I got a meet & greet pass to a DT concert, and met Petrucci. My brother and I got down on our knees and did the whole Wayne's World "We're not worthy!" thing. He laughed and we talked a while. Nice enough guy. Met Portnoy a couple of times. Really nice. Everyone in Divine Heresy are really cool guys too! And Rusty Cooley was beyond nice! And Echoes of Eternity are really cool people too.

I guess it depends on 'who' the person is.

2. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

To be honest I think that this is fucking hilarious. I imagine, though, that Yng is being dead serious which makes it funnier...

3. Luan

Luan SS.org Regular

It's funny for Yngwie, but not for the owner of the guitar. Of course you can't sell that guitar anymore as it is.

4. Anthony

Anthony Banned

No shit you can't sell the guitar for the same price, you got a bunch of dudes to write on it! :lol: I doubt Yngwie forced the guy to let him sign it.

5. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

Maybe he was mestruating?

6. chanchan

chanchan SS.org Regular

Paul Gilbert is the best guitarist... that is my Idol..

7. Mattayus

Mattayus Sir Groove-A-Lot Contributor

Yeah, to be honest, i get sick of hearing the phrase "it's tough on tour, he/she/they was/were probably just exhausted". You can tell when it's tiredness, and you can tell when someone's busy or having a bad day, in the same way that you can tell if that's an inherent part of their personality.

Being tired and being busy doesn't make you talk about yourself in the third person, and be condescending. If someone's snappy, short tempered, a bit moody and quite unapproachable then yes, those are the signs of a busy tired person. Being a prima donna and a brat, is not.

Those people that defend these people by saying "i met him and he was real nice" forget that they were doing PR, effectively. They wouldn't dare act like they do backstage.

This thread makes me cry inside, and it's the one thing I didn't expect from Gilberto.

8. ShadyDavey

ShadyDavey 7ibrarian

Everyone has a bad day occassionally and honestly, this is the first negative comment I think I've ever read about Paul so is it likely he's a pompous ass or perhaps just a human being having a bad day after touring and being dog tired?

Statistically even based on this thread alone its more than likely the latter....

As for Yngwie - I have it on very good authority that he only really gives respect to quality musicians...this from a man who is a quality musician and has interviewed Yng on more than a few occassions. Heck, I've even heard tapes of Yngiwe playing Hendrix unplugged on his strat and he sounded anything but an asshole even to the point of laughing at his own singing....clearly he treats some of his fans quite badly and is perhaps given to the prima donna syndrome more than other guitarists. Ego does that to a person...and with his ability its almost understandable.

9. AeonSolus

AeonSolus DO CEO / RHLC ©

yes

10. Stealthdjentstic

Stealthdjentstic Banned

Another flawless bump. :fail:

11. DomitianX

DomitianX Oxygen Converter

I think thats funny as hell. Why would someone want him to sign and Ibby anyways? I never understood when people want people to sign products they dont endorse. I think its kind of disrespectful to want Yng to sign an Ibby. Kind of like smacking him in the face, "I dont like what you endorse, but sign my shit anyways"

Would you want Babe Ruth to sign DiMaggio's baseball card? Of course not. Why would you do the same for anything else?

But thats just me. Im not a big autograph whore anyways. I could care less. I met Pablo once after a Mr Big concert and chatted with him and the other guys for a half hour or so while he was signing everything under the sun. Very pleasant guy. They all were.

12. troyguitar

troyguitar SS.org Regular

Yngwie IS God's gift to guitar :cool:

I only met him briefly one time about 5 years ago (whenever he was opening for Dio) and he was cool though.

13. hairychris

hairychris Hairy Old Bloke

Yaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayaddayadda

Whatever....

14. bulletbass man

bulletbass man Classical & Metal

Yeah I can be a total dick If I get angry (which sadly happens a little too easily). While I'm getnerally a nice guy with a sense of humor I get seriously pissed off by stupidity. I've walked off stage during soundchecks before If I get pissed off with the sound people and have disagreements with them. Only difference is rather than argue to get my way I basically do it my way anyways. And if I can't then I just let the sound suffer cause it's out of my control. But Paul has spent decades in the business and is the big name act. He by now has earned the right to get his way.

15. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

so like, details pleeeez pretty preeettty pleeeeeieieiz!

im never a dick no matter what, even when im furiously mad i still fart rainbows!

16. yingmin

yingmin Parker über alles

One of my friends recently told me that Muhammad pulled a knife on a coworker of his, because the coworker was running sound at a show Necrophagist was playing, and he told Necrophagist's sound guy to "eat AIDS".

17. Raoul Duke

Raoul Duke This is bat country

So he pulled a knife on a sound guy because he insulted one of Necrophagists crew???

If this is true, *makes note to self never to fuck with Muhammad* :lol:

"Eat AIDS"? That has to be one of the weirdest insults i have heard

18. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I've heard good and bad things about many guitarists; Karl Sanders, Muhammed Suicmez, Paul Gilbert, Yngwie Malmsteen, and countless others.

at the end of the day, don't take what someone else says about someone on face value. what they find intolerable, you might tolerable. what they see as 'nice', you may see as 'nasty'.

at the end of the day, if you haven't met someone, you don't know what they're like. even then, as has been mentioned before, famous people have good days and bad days, good moods and bad moods, just like anyone else.

if our favourite artists didn't get bad moods I doubt they'd make the brutal heavy music we love listening to!

19. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

I spoke to Muhammed on several occasions, we insulted each other a lot and he never pulled a knife out on me... although I did not make aids jokes. Maybe thats the key.

20. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

I heard that on that tour you were teaching Muhammed to sweep properly?