Part of a new Dream Theater Song

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Psychobuddy, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Psychobuddy

Psychobuddy edxgxsrfrz

I don't think it's been posted, if it has I'm sorry.

Anyway not sure if I'm digging it or not, it's very Systematic Chaos-y...

WickedSymphony and Xiphos68 like this.
  2. BucketheadRules

BucketheadRules Fuzz pedal hoarder

Sounds good to me.

3. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

When we were at Roadrunner Australia last week, they played us a few bits of new dream theater, not TOO much sadly, but enough to know that this new release is going to have some really heavy and groove laden songs, and some pretty damn insane riffing. Basically, On the backs of angels was their "safe" song, and there are a bunch of songs that are insane compared to that.

They actually played us this song from the beginning, and its pretty fucking intense!

4. TimSE

TimSE Contributor

Im kinda relieved to hear that. Although i do like On The Backs Of Angels, it does feel kind of held back. Cannot wait for the album now!

5. datalore

datalore awkward soul

Wow, they sure are playing it safe. It sounds like they are stuck in a glass prison. Hurrrrrrrrr.

6. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I'm definitely liking what I'm hearing. So far, it's making me actually want to listen to them again. I don't hear Systematic Chaos in those riffs.....I'm hearing more of the heavy/chunky stuff from Awake & Images (a little) than S.C.

7. Psychobuddy

Psychobuddy edxgxsrfrz

Same here actually. High praise coming from Misha...hopefully the album doesn't fall flat.

8. Shannon

Shannon Lord Super Awesome Contributor

That's what has happened with the last few albums & why I have reserved judgement on the album when I hear the pre-release single. I want to hear the ALBUM! And you know that Mangini is gonna kick ass!

9. Pchink

Pchink SS.org Regular

I love JP's guitar tone and riffing in that clip; that's about the only thing I can say because there is no context to the song, it could evolve into anything. That being said, I can't wait for the album!

10. Shogun

Shogun SS.org Regular

I was'nt sure how i felt about the new album when i listened to on the backs of angels. But after hearing this it's starting to look a lot better. Reminds me of awake. I can kind of see what the op was saying about it being sc sounding though , the beginning sounded pretty similar to the instrumental part in the ministry of lost souls.

11. MobiusR

MobiusR Thall, that is all

on the back of the angels kinda reminded me of scarred so i assumed this album was gonna somewhat sound like awake

Then i heard this song....it felt i was almost right :p

TOTAL ROC

12. bulb

bulb SS.org Regular

Honestly we didnt listen to much past where that clip ends, but the shit that came before it was some pretty crazy riffing. And the tone...good lord the tone...

13. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

Definitely looking forward to the new album!

14. Spence

Spence SS.org Regular

Anyone know if Petrucci used the axe-fx at all on this album?, or has he stuck with the mesa's?

15. SenorDingDong

SenorDingDong Smeller of Smells

Mesa's, he uses the Axe Fx as an FX unit in the signal chain.

16. Pablo

Pablo Resident Wanker

Really sounds a lot like the DT I fell in love with in the early '90's!!! I am getting very much an Awake vibe from this small clip (it's just 1 minute of an 11-minute song)... promising, very promising!

Cheers

Eske

17. Hosenbugler

Hosenbugler Untilted

The song itself sounds decent enough, but it's let down totally by the drums IMO. I'm completely underwhelmed with the drums, sound-wise and playing-wise. :(

I know it's cliche and all that, but I can't help thinking that Portnoy would have done a much better job. Or Minnemann; I think he would have been a better choice for them, at least playing-wise.

18. Black_Sheep

Black_Sheep SS.org Regular

^ I agree about Minnemann.

I think the clip sounded good. But then again, i hate clips. They're pretty useless imo. Im quite sure the album will be great though, even planning to pre-order the box version, dunno :)

19. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

There is nothing in particular I dislike about Mangini here, but when I watched those drummer audition clips on YouTube, I also thought, they HAVE to take Minnemann, he was my favorite of all of them!

20. fps

fps Kit

Totally! He was a lotta fun, his energy and exuberance meant he was my fave. But I think Mangini is the right choice- he's at the right age and stage, and as long as he has no new injury issues he's a pro of so many years' standing, who loves the band so much, that you can't help but feel he'll want to be with the band for as long it exists, and his performance levels will be utterly consistent. He also has just the right amount of wholesome, slightly cheesy integrity for a band like DT (we Brits can be a cynical bunch compared with you emotional Americans!)

Minnemann is great, don't get me wrong, but I think he very different from the other band members, and that he might well have wanted to do other things with other people in a few years, were they to have given him the gig, whereas DT needs a settled lineup. Changing drummers, with their kinda schedules and the kind of music that they need to get a new guy up to speed on, takes nearly a year out of their lives and costs them a fortune. If it happened again someone like Myung might quit and then the band itself would be in danger. Mangini, he wants a job for life, he wants a band to exist in and be associated with for all-time, he loves DT and that really came across in his audition IMO.