Parallel Universe Breakthrough Possible?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by orb451, Oct 20, 2010.

1. orb451

orb451 Banned

2. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Very interesting stuff, but I felt like this bit was something of a caveat:

I mean, what's the point if we can't check them out? ;)

In some degree of seriousness though, I've always kind of wondered about parallel universes and how they may be an explanation for intense Deja vu. Perhaps what's happening in those moments we powerfully experience the sense that we're -- for a moment -- in a slightly different version of the present, or that the present moment feels like we've 'been there before', is that our consciousness is unknowingly 'crossing over' for a moment.

I'm probably not explaining it well, but it's something I've thought about since my early teens and it makes me wish I better understood the science of consciousness (or that science better understood consciousness, for that matter..) so I could have a better idea of how plausible the concept is in reality.

ANYWAY, I've been fascinated by all the work they've been doing with the LHC. I don't know how much they'll verify during my lifetime, but it's making the future seem increasingly interesting.

3. orb451

orb451 Banned

^You're not alone in that line of thinking Syn, I've felt and thought essentially the same things for a long time too with respect to possible parallel universes/alternate realities or timelines and the subconscious mind once in a while getting a brief *spillover* or *hint* from some other... place? time? experience?

I get what you're saying is my point. Very interesting indeed if they can come up with, or discover new proof(s) to help explain this universe of ours.

4. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

The idea of parallel universes fascinates me.

The theoritical actuality of parallel universes existing and exploring them scares the living shit out of me.

The same can be said for time travel.

5. Static

Static Metal Meister

guys.watch Fringe.

EDIT:I seriously wouldn't want to find a doppelganger of myself in the other universe 0_0

6. JeffFromMtl

JeffFromMtl Уродливый, но честны

I was under the impression that deja vu was was the result of a lapse in brain activity, so that while you've already sensed what's going on around you, your brain, catching up, is registering it or re-registering it. That could also explain why during deva vu, light-headedness is not uncommon. However, I'd have to say, that if it had anything to do with this "spillover" from a parallel universe or consciousness, that would be much, much cooler :lol:

7. orb451

orb451 Banned

Does anyone here remember the John Titor story? I'm pretty sure it was eventually proven as a hoax, but it interesting as hell to think about with respect to alternate timelines, different futures, etc.

I mean what if these parallel universes or alternate realities exist, and what if they merge and unmerge into our own perceived reality on a regular basis? For example, take any major catastrophe or world event (good or bad) in the last I dunno, 100 years for starters. What if in one timeline, Hitler was successfully assassinated - using Operation Valkyrie as an example... Would the war have continued with Goebbels, Bormann and the rest of the party at the helm?

What if in an alternate reality AIDS has already been cured, or for that matter, never came to exist? I mean, there's just so much shit that's happened and so many possible ways for it all to play out, it's mind boggling but so interesting at the same time. I know you can what if just about anything to death, but to me, this is extremely interesting if found to be real, or true.

8. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

When I get deja vu I often feel like I've dreamt the situation in days upleading to the situation. Sometimes I've been 100% sure I've dreamt it. At first it's reassuring that I think I know where the feeling came from, then it gets concerning as I try to figure out how I could've possibly predicted the future in my dreams :lol:

9. silentrage

silentrage The DeRailer

John Titor was proven to be a hoax? Got any links? I havn't followed that much but would like to see how it all unraveled.

10. synrgy

No doubt. I kinda wonder if the same potential for paradox applies (theoretically) to exploring alternate universes as it does to time travel. I mean, it's all theory and WAY up in the air at the present, but I'm curious to know what would happen if -- for instance -- I entered an alternate universe and met 'my self' there.

Not to mention, the very idea of there being alternate/parallel universes kinda fudges our concept of time being absolute, doesn't it? I'm thinking as I go here, but would that depend on the difference between 'alternate' and 'parallel'? I guess what I mean is, an 'alternate' Universe wouldn't have to be on the same timeline as ours, but by definition a 'parallel' Universe would, right?

Mind fuck. Brings new light to how infinitely vast the Universe may be. Emphasis on 'infinite'. ;)

11. orb451

orb451 Banned

I thought I read in the Wiki entry for him that the science stuff he'd left to ponder was debunked or incorrect. Not that Wiki is the be all, end all, but just that on the whole, there were *holes* (no pun intended) in the science part of his story that proved false or wrong.

John Titor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's some paragraphs towards the bottom that have more info on the why's and why not's of his story.

12. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal

:scratch:

I don't see where the news is in that link, but this is a very interesting subject.

Symmetry breaking early in the universe could have very easily caused alternate universes to form as ours was forming. At the energies that the LHC will probe, we may be able to find that symmetry again, maybe someday leading us to discovery of a doorway into another dimension. Who knows what we'll find, or what might find us. :eek:

13. orb451

orb451 Banned

Didn't Howard The Duck have something like this? Or The Mist? A doorway to another dimension, what could possibly go wrong?:lol::lol::lol:

Would be cool as fuck for the briefest of moments I'm sure though!

14. synrgy

String theory --> membranes --> mindfuck. :lol:

15. MusicMetalHead

MusicMetalHead P4

Coming of the Quantum cats is a book about this. I found it lying buried under dirty laundry a while back and gave it a read. It was okay. Not great. But okay.

16. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal

If someone opens a door to another dimension, you'd better start saying "Ph'nglui mglw'nafl Cthulhu R'lyeh wyah'nagl fhtagn!" :bowdown:

Learning about string theory in uni, I was pretty excited about the possibilities of all of the little dimensions rolled up inside of subatomic particles. It would be super-cool if the LHC can unroll some of them.

I'm also a firm believer in fixed degrees of freedom.

17. Varcolac

Varcolac Frets? What frets?

If these parallel universes contain Leonard Nimoy, then sign me up. I was more thinking of a far older and trashier TV series though: Sliders. Going through "parallel universe" alternate histories with John Rhys-Davies. Yeeeeah. I was always a little disappointed that they always ended up on another Earth, rather than a universe where stellar bodies failed to form and the cosmos was composed entirely of lukewarm hydrogen.

18. Explorer

Explorer He seldomly knows...

Regarding deja vu, there is already strong evidence that humans rationalize what they do much of the time, instead of having a rational reason for what they do. Split-brain patients manage to rationalize verbally what the other side of their divided brain undertakes for reasons unknown to the verbal half; there's a lot of fascinating material for those who do a little research on it.

Deja vu appears to be a similar phenomenon of how our brain works. What's interesting, though, is that no one claims that there are supernatural or epic reasons why optical illusions work. Why not? *laugh*

Anyway, the parallel universes are not the way you all are picturing. I suspect that most quantum theories aren't really well understood, and that barely anyone here has even heard about an up and coming theory I think will turn out to be right, that of the Big Bounce....

19. All_¥our_Bass

All_¥our_Bass Deathly Chuuni

I think we'll be okay as long as we don't accidentally summon Azathoth.

20. Gamba

Gamba Elite Troop

too late
    [​IMG]