Pantera reunion with Zakk Wylde?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by MetalDaze, May 10, 2012.

1. MetalDaze

MetalDaze Repless in Seattle

I heard this rumor on Liquid Metal (XM Radio) this morning. As much as I think a reunion would be cool, I'm not convinced Zakk would be the right guy to replace Darrell.

2. Ill-Gotten James

Ill-Gotten James SS.org Regular

No way.. really? I don't think I like the sound of this. As far as I'm concerned, Pantera RIP. Without Dime, how could there be a proper Pantera reunion?

3. setsuna7

setsuna7 Poor Gearwhore

Anselmo said something bout it the last issue of GW...Didn't think it would be this soon...
    I mean Dime are good friends with him(Zakk) and Kerry King,I'd rather they do it with Zakk rather than Kerry...

4. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

this would be horrible. fuck zakk.

5. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

Vinnie Paul Discusses the Possibility of a Pantera Reunion Without Dimebag - Noisecreep

"I spent two hours with Zakk, sitting down - a really great talk about 'the old man,'" Paul said, referring to what Zakk calls Dime. "I mean, Zakk and my brother were so tight. If it ever were to happen, Zakk would be the guy. But I honestly think, out of respect for my brother, we should just leave the 14 amazing years Pantera had be. We're all happy doing our own thing. We have to continue living and do other things."

Also, according to the above article (recent), Paul is still not talking to Anselmo.

6. fps

fps Kit

Well Zakk's the only guy it would be appropriate for it to happen with, and that band would be pretty crunchy anyway, in fact I think they should hook up and do something as a side project!!

7. Lagtastic

Lagtastic Five Align

Zakk has a couple Dimebag tribute songs in his BLS catalog. When they do them live they pull out 30 foot tall banners of Dime made out of parachute material and roll them out over their stacks of Marshalls. After seeing him play lots of live solos while the band takes a break, he has the tremolo skills to pull off the crazy mid/later Dime stuff. Shit I hope they tour that would be a fun show.

8. I Voyager

I Voyager deep deep deep

Please, no. Pantera's legacy needs to be left the fuck alone. It just wouldn't be right.

That being said, I probably would go see it if it did happen. :lol:

9. Alex6534

Alex6534 SS.org Regular

I'd go see them, half out of rage and half out of curiosity :lol:

10. lucasreis

lucasreis ERG Ambassador

It would never be the same, that's for sure.

But it would a hell of an opportunity to see Rex, Phil and Vinnie playing together again.

We need to reunite these guys, to see them playing again, plus it would be a hell of a tribute to Dime.

I don't think the band should be reunited, I mean... doing records and shit like that, but tribute show would be fine. :yesway:

11. slowro

slowro Drunken Scot

IMO Zakk is the ONLY man for this. A different style but they were tight friends and I don't think anyone would argue that Dime himself would approve. Pantera is a legend best left alone, a few tribute shows would be amazing but it was dimebags riffs that made Pantera.
    I wish there was no bad blood between Phil and Paul, Phil was in a bad place and he seems to regret the way things were left. Life is too short but I do understand how Paul would feel

12. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Banned

How the heck wouldn't Zakk be right for the job? He was one of Darrell's best friends and has a similar playing style. If someone told me there would be a Pantera reunion, Zakk would be the first replacement that came to mind.

13. TheBigGroove

TheBigGroove SS.org Regular

I thought Petrucci did a pretty amazing job covering cemetery gates with DT

14. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

petrucci doesn't pretend he's a redneck though.

15. drmosh

drmosh Sir Paul of the Mosh

nah, do not want.
    I love Zakk, I love Pantera, but Zakk's not the right guy

16. brutalwizard

brutalwizard Pretty Your Petunia

"But I honestly think, out of respect for my brother, we should just leave the 14 amazing years Pantera had be"

/ this conjecture filled boring thread

17. linchpin

linchpin Specter

Yeah that's not gonna happen.... someone's gonna get shot.

18. goherpsNderp

goherpsNderp no refutin' rasputen

i'd rather just some sort of dime tribute tour with a large group of musicians switching out for each song. pantera covers + tribute songs + whatever else. i saw decapitated with meshuggah and i am convinced that guitarist has the chops to cover some pantera.

but a pantera reunion tour is just something that should not be. even if vinnie and phil were cool with eachother. a clock just cannot function without one of it's main gears. they were all equally important players, and it's a rare thing these days. with one of them gone it just wouldn't be right.

19. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Banned

Vogg has more than the chops to cover Pantera... that's an odd comment, and an incredibly unlikely source for a guitarist since they are from different continents, and involved in largely unassociated scenes/genres.

20. BrianUV777BK

BrianUV777BK Riffmiester General

There are a million guys who we've never heard of, some of us included, that could probably play all the Dime stuff well enough to make Dime happy. But it just wouldn't be right. There are lots of bands where replacing one guy isn't going to be a big deal. Pantera isn't one of them. Metallica without Hetfield? Slayer without Kerry King? I'd be more into a few different big name guys stepping in for a tune or 2. Maybe even an unknown, like, say, ME!

goherpsNderp likes this.