Paint Job on the FG-422 OBB

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by sararose, Jul 16, 2004.

1. sararose

sararose w3rd.

So I've had this for about 7 years now and I've always wanted to paint something on the back, since it's a gorgeous dark blue. ((pics here: http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/showthread.php?t=74)). Well I know I've always wanted to do something with wolves ((HUGE wolf fanatic)) and I've decided on two designs:

((all these images are just photoshoped together))
    1st Design: I found this image on google search one day looking for a new desktop image, and I would LOVE to paint it on the back of the guitar.

[​IMG][​IMG]

2nd Design: This is NOT my art, it's by one of my FAVORITE wolf artists of all time, Heather "Kyoht" Baeder: http://www.kyoht.com. I know it's a coyote not a wolf, but I would basically design something very similar to this. I'm in love with this piece and the sands in which it's blowing.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Here's the big question, though; what exactly are you supposed to paint on the back of a finished guitar?? I'm an oil painter at heart, but have also had years of experience with gouche and arcylics. But I've never painted on anything other then canvas :eek: Any ideas?

2. Josh

Josh Guest

I love the first one. :agreed:

3. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

Nice choices!.. I would imagne you could scuff up the back with a light sandpaper. Then paint your design with whatever. Then have a clearcoat of some kind applied to seal it in. But I think clearcoat needs to have a smooth surface(?).

I had a marsahll JCM2000 TSL painted red with some white phantoms. I've since sold that amp. I also have a strat project in which I painted the body white with red pearl coat.

4. Chris

Chris metalguitarist.org Forum MVP

:agreed: