Pain of Salvation about to bring back the metal?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by DLG, Sep 30, 2016.

1. jameslabrie

jameslabrie SS.org Regular

I'm looking forward to this album a lot. Prefer Meaningless over Reasons, it'll be interesting to see which direction they take this!

2. Dyingsea

Dyingsea SS.org Regular

Really don't dig Reasons that much at all. Seems... I don't know...trying to be proggy for the sake of being proggy? Meaningless felt emotional and complex like their old works.

3. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

Reasons didn't seem very proggy to me apart from the very forced "odd rhythms." One section reminded me of a real classic:

ONE!

Nothing wrong with me!

TWO!

Nothing wrong with me!!!

4. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

LoL! Thank Crom I don't get that vibe from Reasons :eek:

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I honestly freakin' love Reasons.

6. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

Me too. It's extremely rare for a song to be memorable after a couple listens. This one's been stuck in my head for two days now. I almost wish I didn't listen to it because it generated more hype for this upcoming album and I'll be very disappointed if it sucks.

7. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

I'm only 2 listens into Reasons and its stuck in my head. And honestly, I love the off-beat rhythms, as forced as they sound.

8. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Reasons sounds like the kind of forced rhythms I used to write about 10 years ago before other musicians told me I couldn't write rhythms that sounded that forced so I started to shy away from them but secretly still really like.

9. bozothedeathmachine

bozothedeathmachine SS.org Regular

I liked the Road Salts well enough. I knew they were going into that dirtier prog-rock stuff, like Opeth (seriously, was there something in the water in Sweden that cause a 70s prog-rock resurgence?), and in that context they're good. That said, all the albums from Be and before are amazing. I would love to see them go back to that. 12:5 is also a great live album. I like the acoustic rearrangements on 12:5 more than the rearrangements on Falling Home.

Neither of the singles so far of the older stuff. Meaningless reminds me of the Road Salts and overly dramatic as Gildenlowe is wont to be (to good effect, don't get me wrong).

Either way, I'm a fan and will pick it up.

10. DLG

DLG not guthrie govan

Sweden has waaaaay better prog rock bands than those two prog metal turned prog rock duds.

Anekdoten, Anglagard, The Flower Kings, Kaipa, Moon Safari

11. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

I'm not sure what you people mean about the rhythm sounding forced. It sounds natural enough to me. Reminds me of Rope Ends. It doesn't have that "random" riffing I've heard in some of the Djent stuff. Or maybe off beat rhythms and random riffing are two different things?

What are some good examples of weird rhythms that don't sound forced?

12. AdamMaz

AdamMaz SS.org Regular

:lol::yesway:

All the hype of this track from this thread, I went straight for this song and am insta-hooked. :yesway:

100% agreed.

13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

I should probably explain a bit more what I meant by this. Obviously Pain of Salvation, both past and present, features some monster musicians who aren't Daniel Gildenlow. I quite like Johan Hallgren's playing, and the guy could definitely sing (as evidenced by the BE concert). However, the writing and style of the band is definitely dictated by Daniel Gildenlow, and even when the music sounds fully cohesive in a band-centric manner, there's absolutely no doubt who's brainchild you're hearing.

I suppose the closest example I can think of is Children of Bodom. Another band that features some monster musicians, and it's not like they never get a chance to shine, as anyone who's heard Janne Wirman's solos can attest to. At the end of the day though, everyone else in the band basically orbits around Alexi Laiho; where he leads, they follow.

14. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

It's just subjective semantics. In general: the more unusual, the more "forced", and "unusual" is going to vary from person to person.

15. wankerness

wankerness SS.org Regular

A lot of the weird rhythms on earlier Pain of Salvation legitimately seem to be written around the natural flow of the lyrics. "Used," the bridge on "In the Flesh," "Chain Sling," and "Dedication" are a few of the major examples that immediately come to mind. Rope Ends is one where it is more "forced," but it's supposed to be really spiky considering the mental state of the subject of the song. I have no idea what Reasons is about, so maybe that's what's going on here, but it just sounded a lot to me like those bedroom djent songs where it's like "if it was in time it would be boring, so let's shift everything over a sixteenth note or two so it is OFF and EDGY!!!" The only example I can think of from albums I've listened to more than twice would be those repeating powerchord palm mute riffs that happen throughout Be as transitions, but those don't sound nearly as off, they have more of a groove.

16. Herrick

Herrick Hello Mangs

I see.

The album has been leaked.

17. Vletrmx

Vletrmx ζ

To jump on the "Reasons sounds like XYZ..." bandwagon, it reminds me of that old Limp Bizkit studio footage where Fred Durst is trying to come up with riffs after their guitarist quit.

18. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

I'm terrible at keeping track of release dates, but the new record dropped yesterday?!

Just ordered the vinyl and started listening to a stream. So far so good!

EDIT: Finished the first listen. It's definitely a record that will need multiple listens to 'get'. They really didn't "bring the metal back" all the way- there are more mellow parts than heavy parts. I initially wanted to say that it splits the difference between the Road Salt albums and those that came before in terms of tone but while RS 1&2 were kind of stripped-down the mellow parts here are more deeply-arranged. I could totally live without "Reasons"; even though the song preceding it had some heavier parts towards the end it just doesn't fit.

19. vividox

vividox SS.org Regular

Man, I remember when Spotify had alerts for album releases. That was a cool feature that they got rid of because they hate people.

20. InHiding

InHiding SS.org Regular

This album is just bad...