Pad/tablet for en elder

Discussion in 'Computers, Electronics, IT & Gaming' started by vansinn, Sep 14, 2017.

1. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

I need advice for a pad/tablet for a 75 year lady, quite intelligent, and is willing to dig-in to learn.
    She has purely basic needs, like browsing, email, snapping a few pictures, watching youtube.., so most any device would of course do.

The device should be easily connected to the Samsung TV set via HDMI, so she can watch films..
    Basically, it should be large enough to operate in an easy fashion, fit in a lady's medium-sized handbag, have known-good build quality, and be capable of rendering video without stuttering.

I'm unused with selecting such things, as I have other needs, so, gimme some advice ;)
    Preferably like last/former-years model; Huawei, Samsung etc.. - she ain't wealthy.

2. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Seems silly for her to connect her tablet to the TV. If her TV doesn't allow her to cast by virtue of being on the same wifi network then you should get her one of those products that plug into the HDMI so she can just use her tablet like a big remote from anywhere in the house.

Anyhow, I recommend an iPad. iOS is simpler and easier to use than Android. I use and prefer Android myself, but for old folks it seems like iPad is the way to go. Also they seem to keep working forever. My in-law's ipad has been holding strong since like 2013. In the mean time that they've had it, I've seen my Nexus 7 turn into a paperweight. And now that I think about it, that was like at least 2 years ago, maybe 3. I'm super fucking disappointed by that thing, since when I first got it I thought it was worlds ahead of the iPad. Yet my in-laws iPad is running smoothly and quickly as ever while my Nexus waits for the rapture in tablet heaven

HeavyMetal4Ever and smokiekouki like this.
  3. steinmetzify

steinmetzify CHUG & SLUDGE

+1 for the iPad...my mom is 70, uses one from like 2014, still runs great. She's not a power user; Spotify for long drives, email, couple games. Simple and works.

4. Mathemagician

Mathemagician SS.org Regular

iPad. I got my "I don't understand texting or cellphones" dad an iPhone and he texts and surfs the web all the time. Almost 99% his effort and he's not that tech savvy. It's the same OS, super simple.

5. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

My grandparents have an iPad and while they aren't using everything on it, they can still email and facetime and all the necessities. If your family member is going to put in effort to learn even more, then they will probably get a lot more out of it.

6. marcwormjim

marcwormjim SS.org Regular

Got my grandmother an iPad. It was an initially steep learning curve, but it was surprisingly quick for her to stop repeating the common senior habits of leaving a million tabs/apps open, losing the charger, trying to start the dishwasher with it, only using it as a picture frame, etc. once she died.

KnightBrolaire likes this.
  7. Spaced Out Ace

Spaced Out Ace 0 0 1 0 0 6 5 0 3\

Same suggestion everyone else has made.

8. vansinn

vansinn ShredNeck into Beck

Ok ok ok, I got it, hahaha ;) An iPad it is.
    While I don't like Apple as a business, I have had several of their products and have liked the ease of use, so your comments of course makes sense.

Only problem is the price, as she's not with finances, which means shopping a used one, and then the coaching; dear oh dear..