Ownhammer IR demo

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by BlackFalcon17, Sep 9, 2018.

1. BlackFalcon17

BlackFalcon17 SS.org Regular

I finally decided I would try using some IRs with my POD HD to see what all the hype was about. I tried Wall of Sound for a month, but for some reason I couldn't get what I wanted out of the few amps I demoed. I know Ownhammer gets a lot of praise on here, so I got their free IR and I'm really happy with the result. I'm liking the tone I got better than when I was using the stock cabs on the HD. What do you all think, and what other IRs would you guys recommend I try out?

Here's the short demo: https://soundcloud.com/chukwu-uduka/ownhammer-ir-demo/s-WSvrP

2. WarMachine

WarMachine SS.org Regular

Sounds good man. Some others to try out are Rosen Digital (i think they've changed to Lancaster now?) and 3Sigma. Those are my go to's. To me they sound more real, in the room feeling than others i've tried out.

3. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

I can't recommend these or they just don't work with my equipment too well. I've got 5153, Bogner Uber, Mesa Recto from 3sigma and Engl 412 from both. Sometimes I tought they were good, but tone they have is just boomy, fizzy and not very natural to my ears in nowadays. Each pack has just five IR's which have A and B options, B options are made with more neutral poweramp than A's.

Problem with 3sigma & Rosen Digital is that there is not enough options, not any single mics and they don't tell which mics have been used, though SM57 in every IR is very obvious. For example take a Recto cab from 3sigma, it has 10 IR's and it costs 7$. Ownhammer's 412 Recto V70 has 450 IR's with single mics, mixes and different speaker blends, including all explanations about mics, positions etc. and different sample rates for various applications for 12.49$. Value for what you get is so much better and everything is explained in detail very professionally yet easily understandable way.

For this reason I've been very disappointed in IR's from 3sigma, Rosen Digital and Joey Sturgis Tones. Maybe Choptones too, because they don't have enough options and most IR's they deliver aren't for my liking otherwise. Not that anyone would use or even try all 450 files from one Ownhammer pack, but it's good to have.

@BlackFalcon17 check out from Ownhammer Heavy Hitters I & II, 412 ENG, 412 RECTO V70 and California Duo which includes Mesa Boogie Traditional 4x12" cab. Personally I like Oversized and Traditional cabs more than free Standard pack with 60 watt Celestion V30's.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  4. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

^^ agreed

The Rosen impulses are really hit or miss. Some are fuzzy and dark, and others are super bright and piercing. The Marshall Vintage one is good. Mesa isn’t bad. But some, like ENGL, Revv and EVH totally miss the mark IMO.

The Ownhammer impulses are much more consistent. The 57 sounds like a 57 on every single cabinet. To be honest, I end up using OH-1 most of the time. It’s a 57 blended with 121, so a nice mix of brightness and thickness.

5. BlackFalcon17

Hmm, I've watched a few 3Sigma demos, and they sounded pretty good. I haven't really heard any of Rosen Digital's stuff, though. I'll check out both of them.

I was surprised when I opened up the folder and saw all the options in there. I wasn't really sure what the difference between some of them were, so I just scrolled through randomly until I liked what I heard (I think I settled on a 57). It seems like a sweet deal, which I can appreciate.

6. Metropolis

They sound just "okay" in a mix. Tone is the kind of you can tell when something is played with amp sims or modelers, bassy, muffled and too much 4-5kHz area. Sound just doesn't breathe much, and they also feel kind of awful when playing. I've become very nitpicky about these things, but they may work for someone else.

Other companies to check out could be Redwirez and ValhallIR. Maybe good for taming woofy lows in Pod HD. Both are pretty natural and sometimes too flat sounding, but they feel good when playing.

7. Metropolis

BlackFalcon17 and Ericjutsu like this.
  8. BlackFalcon17

Sounds huge! I've watched a lot of SDS demos and they always sound great. Would you say that they're a good representation of their cabs? Sometimes it just sounds too good, if that makes sense haha.

9. Metropolis

I would say it's a good representation how they work with Fractal Audio units. In top of that Jon's production and playing skills are always exceptional. But it's a good representation in general too.

I bought that pack because it has Celestion G12-T75 and G12-K100 speakers mixed with Celestion V30's to have some other flavour in tone than good old V30's. They also added new "RIP" mixes where SM57 and M160 are combined.

BlackFalcon17 likes this.
  10. Flappydoodle

Flappydoodle SS.org Regular

11. Metropolis

Uberkab is capable for some serious punch and low end, way more suited for metal. In my opinion this is one of the best cabs for heavier music from OH. T75 is very midrangey, but it can compliment V30 speaker quite nicely.

Flappydoodle likes this.