Outside of the RG2027X....

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by ArtDecade, Mar 13, 2018.

1. ArtDecade

ArtDecade Unhindered by Talent

... are there any other Ibanez Prestige 7-Strings that had stock a piezo bridge? I just want a backup for my Ibby and thought it would be cool to have the piezo as an option.

2. Albake21

Albake21 "Just get a used Ibanez Prestige."

The newer version of that, the RG2127X also had it. I should note that it was only sold in Japan.

Looks like there is also the RG7CST, but it is a J.Custom.

3. ArtDecade

Huh. Looks like they just keep getting more and more expensive! Ha.

4. Albake21

Yeah... if you really wanted a Piezo on an Ibanez, you're better off just buying a 7 string Ibby and installing a piezo system yourself.

ArtDecade likes this.
  5. cardinal

cardinal Strat 7 Guy

Not an Ibanez but the most cost effective piezo 7 is likely a EBMM Petrucci. If you’re patient they will pop up here and there for pretty good prices.

6. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

Heh, the RG2127X is already pretty rare, and the RG7-CST is pretty much the ultimate unicorn of an Ibanez 7 string, so good luck with that. :lol:

There used to be a guy on SSO who would do mod jobs on Ibanez guitars to install piezo saddles, even going so far as to mill out Lo Pro and Edge-III 8 string bridges to accept them. His username was Shotgunn, and he used to have a website, but by the looks of it, it no longer exists. Probably not a lot of money in that market.

ArtDecade likes this.
  7. Albake21

Yeah I agree, this would be more realistic, but I'm sure you a pretty keen on getting an Ibanez since you said it would be a back up.

8. ArtDecade

I'm guessing Ibanez found that the piezo saddles weren't cost effective or had too small of a market (or both).

I'm just comfortable with the Wizard necks at this point. Old dog, new tricks, all that jazz.

The906 likes this.
  9. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

Your best bet would be to get a cheap RG7 and mod it to your liking. The challenge is that Ibanez no longer supports their piezo equipped sevens, so you would have to make your own piezo elements. If you get six identical buzzers from Radio Shack or similar retailer, it is possible to remove the piezo elements and carefully cut them with snips, then install them in the bridge and carefully run wires to the control cavity where the signals can be summed and output.

ArtDecade likes this.
  10. wannabguitarist

wannabguitarist Contributor

^and with a bit of effort it'll probably look better than this!
    [​IMG]

gienek and ArtDecade like this.
  11. ArtDecade

^ Ha. Brilliant!

12. odibrom

odibrom .

Ibanez EDGE PRO trems are compatible with the piezo elements LR Baggs sells.

[​IMG]

Remove the metal insert from each saddle and replace it with the piezo element. Then go for their Control-X preamp or Graphtech's accoustiphonic. If you go this path, please choose all the saddles of the same phase. RG2027Xs, 2127Xs and I believe the J-Customs have alternate phase saddles which means that when mixed with magnetic pickups, they'll be phase in/out in alternate string order. Not a very pleasant feeling when playing. If you need more on this story, just ask.

@Webmaestro has (or had) a customized 7 string Ibanez (not sure if original Ibanez or look alike) with this mod over the Edge Pro trem. This to say that any RG1527 can become an RG2027X "clone".

Other options are going OFR and replace it's saddles with Graphtech's. I'm not sure about compatibility between the original Edge trem and Floyd Rose saddles. If they're interchangeable, there's another path...

... or be patient and wait for an opportunity. I know I did, had 2 before and at the 3rd time, I did not let it go.

ArtDecade likes this.
  13. Xaios

Xaios Foolish Mortal Contributor

14. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Long time Ibanez player here, give a JP7 a try. You won't regret it.

Mathemagician and ArtDecade like this.
  15. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Had a JP7 myself with piezo. Great solid quality instrument, but the neck feels a lot more chunky than most Ibanez necks i've tried. It's possible to sand some wood off though since the neck is probably just oil finish.

Albake21 likes this.
  16. Albake21

See I tried an Ibanez 7 string (to be fair it was an Iron Label), but I thought it felt very thick because the shoulders were really big. If Ibanez made a 7 without huge shoulders, I'd be all over that. As for JP's, they do tend to me just a tad bit thick for my taste. Dammit I'm too picky with 7 string necks.

17. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Depends on what you're comparing it too. It feels, and is, quite thicker than my UV7s and even my early RG7620s. Though compared to stuff like later RG1527s, JCRG7s, UV777PBKs and some others it's very similar in overall feel. Not exactly the same or as thin, but plenty comfortable for those who prefer necks on the thinner side.

I rotate between old Universe models, standard JP7s and Suhr M7s and the neck thickness increases in that order. But I'd never call the JP7 or M7 necks "thick" or "chunky", just different.

I've been playing paper thin Ibanez necks for decades and still think it's worth at least trying a JP7. :shrug:

18. gujukal

gujukal SS.org Regular

Prestiges are a lot rounder than cheaper Ibanezes from my experience, I owned a cheap RG7321 which had terrible neck shape, like a plank.

Haven't tried all Ibanez guitars out there :p But it felt a lot chunkier than my RGD2127 which is supposed to not be the thinnest Ibby neck out there. It's a great guitar and yeah it's worth checking out. Could also check out the JP12, it's a lot thinner than JP7 i believe and has piezo.

19. Albake21

Damn if this is true, I REALLY want to try a prestige Ibanez 7.

20. ArtDecade

Love the necks on Prestige 7s. The shoulders fit my hands just right.